Ballerina Badass Board - DIY Build First timer

OK, so originally this was all about my wife’s build, and I’ll admit I hijacked the thread as I was waiting on parts, and just wanted to ride!

So I cant remeber what I put above in terms of details but I’ll capture it all again here. Specs are:

EMEK Build: -BSA blank Lunar top mount from Boardshop 9" x 36" -DIY Carbon Fibre base with two layers of 3K Twill 2mm fabric from PlaywithCarbon -Battery is the Spacecell Pro3 - 10SP from Enertion -Wheels and trucks from Enertion 83mm Blue wheels and 50 degree trucks -Pulleys,belt and motor mount from Enertion - 15T motor pulley and 36T wheel pulley, 12mm Belt -VESC from Enertion -Motor from Enertion - 6355 190KV 2400W -Controller is GT2B from a random Ebay store - But I put it into one of @FLATLINEcustoms Mad Monkey enclosures

Review: I really like the board shape and length. This board still goes plenty fast enough for me, but I’ve not done many kms on it so far. First thoughts are that the braking and torque are way underpowered for a mono drive. It’s interesting to note that I bought this as a mono drive kit from Enertion, and now on their website while the mono kit still includes a 55mm motor, when you read under the motors individually it recommends a 72mm for a mono drive kit, and a 55mm for a dual drive setup. I hope in the future they change this mono drive kit, as for the extra dollars I’d definitely get the larger motor In terms of riding safety, if anyone can suggest how I can up the braking power through BLDC without frying anything I’d really appreciate it. Otherwise I think I’ll need to get another VESC and motor. Whats also interesting is that the Enertion Vesc seems to take ages to connect to BLDC as opposed to the DIY version. Not a biggie and definitely not an issue just something I have noticed. That being said the Enertion motor mount and wheel pulley are way better then the DIY electric skateboards version in my opinion. The motor mount is far easier to adjust to the angle that you want, and the wheel pulley is super simple to insert as opposed to the bolts and plates version, so much so that I have ordered another wheel pulley from Enertion to replace it in the future. The other awesome thing with this build is the controller. Originally I had purchased a winning remote from DIY electric skateboards, but then after reading all the info through the forum I was definitely nervous. Nonetheless I hooked it up and ran out on the maidan voyage with it and it seemed to work ok, then later when I had hooked it up to BLDC it freaked out and would aclerate and brake at odd times. It may have been a user error, but I had already purchased another GT2B and gotten a Mad Monkey enclosure from @FLATLINEcustoms so decided to go ahead and do the conversion. I am not going to lie, before these projects I had not soldered before, and the enclosure mod did challenge me, but thanks to Joel being a massive help I got it all sorted and am stoked with the reliability and usability of the new remote. If you’re thinking about doing this change over - do it…

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

Glad I could help.

1 Like