Ballerina Badass Board - DIY Build First timer

3 Likes

So carbon fibre arrived today, have cut out 6 sheets and will lay up three layers on each board, does anyone know if I can do this one after the other while theyā€™re still wet, or should I wait till each layer is cured?

@whitepony should chime in here :wink:

1 Like

boards are simple geometries, so you can probably lay them all at once (which is better anyway unless there are a lot of airgaps in between layers during during). did you pick up a vacuum pump by now? :slight_smile:

why so many layers btw? you really want it superstiff?

Thanks @whitepony Iā€™ll lay them all at once. The only reason Iā€™ll throw three layers on is that I the amount of fabric I purchased cut up to three layers for each board pretty well. Do you think itā€™s over kill? Iā€™ve got the space cell and donā€™t want to flex the caseā€¦

Oh I I didnā€™t go the vacuum pump, I thought Iā€™d try the cheap way and lay them by hand for now

You can put two sheets besides for your next build?

Sounds like a good plan, so just two layers?

Seems as whitepony would agree and it is always nice to have some spare parts :wink:

2 Likes

So two boards now with two layers of CF. Just have to wait till they cure then I can tidy it all upā€¦

4 Likes

I would recommend trimming the CF once it starts to kick. It will be MUCH easier to trim now than after it sets. Then you can further dremel/cut/clean-up the edges before sanding flush.

Make sure you wear a respirator when sanding - this stuff is as bad as itching powder - so cover skin and donā€™t inhale the dust! Do it outside, or in a well ventilated place - vacuum etc. after.

the dust is also conductive, so itā€™s really important to keep it away from electronics (like motors and ESCā€™s), but most importantly away from your lungs!

GL!

1 Like

Wow Rye! Looks so sick! What epoxy did you use and where did you get the carbon?

Thanks for the good advice buddy!

1 Like

Hey @lox897, I used the west system resin and 246 hardener which is a slow one ( first crack so didnā€™t want to rush it!) the links you initially sent me were really good, so I went with the liquids from Carbonfibre.com.au and the fabric was cheaper from playwithcarbon.com

1 Like

I forgot to first mention - looks F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! Super smooth handlay and doesnā€™t look sopping wet.

A couple tricks iā€™ve just read about for getting rid of bubbles and pinholes - if you decide to do a top/gel coat? Heat and denatured alcohol mist. The heat will lower the viscosity and help the bubbles pop. the denatured alcohol in a mister will break the surface tension to smooth out the surface. Just read about it today, havenā€™t tried it, but will next one i do.

Well done sir! Look forward to seeing the finish pics!

1 Like

Thanks @sl33py again great tips! From what I can see with an untrained eye Iā€™m ok for the bubbles, but I guess time will tell. Will cut the fabric soon as itā€™s starting to stiffen now. Havenā€™t hardened as quickly as I thought, but it is a cool day and I used a slow hardenerā€¦

Right on. Love the west systems epoxy. I use the 206 hardener, and i think i usually get about an hour (in coolā€™ish weather) before it starts to gel (when i like to cut - less likely to move, but still pliable to easily cut around contours/corners etc.).

Look forward to seeing these done - great work man!

ok so not going to lie, what started out as my wifeā€™s build quickly became mineā€¦ but I have been waiting since July to get it all together! Heading out on maiden voyage now, with wife on the push bike :joy: But as soon as Enertion sends the battery pack Iā€™ve ordered ( over a month ago) then sheā€™ll be up and running too!

4 Likes

OK, so final wrap up for the build/sā€¦

Its been about a week now that Iā€™ve had my board up and running. Specs are:

RGK Build: -SurfDart Board from Whatever Skateboards with custom grip tape 9.5" x 44" -DIY Carbon Fibre base with two layers of 3K Twill 2mm fabric from PlaywithCarbon -Battery is the Spacecell Pro3 - 10SP from Enertion -Wheels and trucks from DIY electric skateboards 83mm Black wheels and 50 degree V2 trucks -Pulleys,belt and motor mount from DIY electric skateboards - 16T motor pulley and 36T wheel pulley, 12mm Belt -VESC - DIY electric skateboards -Motor from DIY electric skateboards - 6374 230KV 3200W -Controller is GT2B from a random Ebay store

Review: I love it. Well, it goes plenty fast enough for me and Iā€™ve done almost 100kms on it so far. In terms of riding the speed is definitely enough for me, the top speed so far is about 35km/h with plenty more in the throttle, I dont think I would pursue a higher speed then this. Braking feels solid for me ( I weigh 84kgs) and I have been up and down some moderate hills. I have noticed at some higher speeds the motor feels ā€˜surgyā€™ not sure why, weather its a belt or electronic issue - if anyone could shed some light on this Iā€™d really appreciate it. Itā€™s not a major as I can feather the controller no dramas. I played around with the truck settings and got it to a point where it felt good at quicker speeds and could navigate corners ok. Things I would change, the deck shape. While I really like the look of the retro dart shape, my back foot doesnt have a solid purchase, itā€™s too narrow, I think in the future Iā€™ll strip this down to a cruise long board (just for kicking around) and swap the running gear over to a wider board. Overall really happy with it, Iā€™ll do a build review for the original wifeā€™s board below this.

4 Likes