All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Technically possible, but 100V is a bit out of the hobby zone. 13S is a bit more realistic.

100V is in the zone of ā€œreliable transportationā€ because Iā€™m only going to run it at 15S and I want it to NEVER fail on my way to work.

:rofl:

4 Likes

Would be great for a electric motorcycle

1 Like

Hi @skatardude10, the new VESC-Tool comes with a low speed braking solution as standard. It is a different solution to the one that has been discussed here on this forum. Someone made a pull request. So Benjamin recently had a look at the suggested implementation but spotted some issues with the code implemetation.

For the new VESC-Tool he coded something that works a bit smoother and more reliable for a wide range of different motors. Be surprised!

11 Likes

@DAddYE :slight_smile:

4 Likes

THX for that. it is always good to send in pull requests. Benjamin knows his code front to back, so no one should be disappointed if such a request might not find itā€™s way into the official code base in the exact same way. Benjamin looks at the code shared via github. Since the software is highly complex and many dependencies exist, he might come up with different code nailing the issue. He also has a wide range of different motors to test things out. Some solutions work great for certain motors but might cause issues for others.

This weekend he made fantastic progress with the software, so we are optimistic to have a stable release soon. One thing that he worked on was a pairing feature, allowing to pair a VESC to a device (remote/phone/tablet). This way the VESC will only communicate with paired devices, so that others canā€™t easily connect to your setup and mess around with your settings.

7 Likes

How about a secret code (Morse) that you key-in with the remote trigger before your board will unlock :smirk:

4 Likes
6 Likes

The new FW and software solutions allow to communicate to the phone and remote simultaneously via the same NRF module. This is very convenient and allows some nice extra features to get implemented. One of them is changing profiles on the fly. There are other features that will also benefit from this way to communicate. In the end you want one board mounted NRF module to handle all communication tasks, including the stable remote connection.

The remote (NRF BLE based) will be paired to the VESC and it will not be possible to use a different remote to control your board. The remote FW could have a secret code unlock feature, sure. It could also be done via the phone ( e.g.making a permanent profile with 0 A motor current that you override with a non permanent profile before you ride). Without your phone and permission, no powerā€¦ The new way to communicate to phone and remote simultaneously opens some doors for innovation. Benjamin has shown some stuff already, but this is just a glimpse of what is possible.

3 Likes

I mean so itā€™s also not possible for someone who doesnā€™t know the code to use your own [possibly stolen] remote on the board.

:arrow_up: :arrow_down: :arrow_up: :arrow_down: :arrow_backward: :arrow_forward: :arrow_backward: :arrow_forward: A B START SELECT

No joke this is the code on my arcade cabinet I built to unlock the mature games hehe

4 Likes

I know what you are talking about. Ultimately you can always re-flash a device if you have the knowledge. This is OS code. There are ways to make it hard to use stolen equipments and we have put some thought into that already. I donā€™t want to share any details for reasons.

3 Likes

Yyyeeeesssss!!! This is where my Obama phone comes in handy with this ā€œFREEā€ app. Canā€™t wait Capture%20_2019-02-11-16-19-47

It was literally two lines of codeā€¦ the hard part was identifying the issue, youā€™re welcome. People have been complaining about this for a couple years I think.

21 Likes

Yeah you did good work @Deodand I am looking forward to not having to worry about locking brakes lol

2 Likes

Your Konami code is incorrectā€¦

4 Likes

Or maybe you donā€™t know this codeā€™s secret :thinking:

3 Likes

The new Tool is finished, compiled, signed and ready for the upload. Tonight or Saturday is the release. I will post a link to the App once itā€™s available in the Play Store.

16 Likes

Polished and ready to be put into your hands:

• Pairing now allows all your devices to get paired.
  • Profiles got some more attention
  • dark theme optimized for lowest energy consumtion
  • unfinished details sorted
  • colours adjusted

VESC%20Tool_mobile_vesc_project

21 Likes

And this :sweat_smile:

@trampa once it says 80a continues and once up to 100a continues. what is the right value for the six plus?

4 Likes