105mm airless tire hub motor

maybe fill holes first for science to see if that alone fixes it?

1 Like

Yup! that’s the plan

1 Like

I weigh 175 and still think the benefits outweigh the problems. At speeds of around 18 the vibrations are non issue. At any speed improvement in traction is significant. On any turns a few loose gravel and bumpy surface don’t cause slips which is a huge con for any PU wheels.

1 Like

I’m going to use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MRCG8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For added flexibility

2 Likes

OOH! nice find on the 27037! I’ll pick this up too and return my 82180 (also from amazon prime haha)

1 Like

Cool, keep us posted on the results. I expect this to be quite a messy project…

Will do!!
Yessss. i expect the same… I’m trying to reduce the messiness by using syringes to make the injection controlled and clean as possible… But in the end… sometimes we just gotta get a little DIRTY DIRTYYYY to solve some problems! hahahah

best way would be to tape off one side and use the syringes with tube extentions so you get no air bubbles or less

1 Like

Had a bit of tow-in behind a friends e-bike to see how it was at higher speeds than push speed, and there’s still lots of vibration and noise at what I would consider a nice cruising speed. The resistance to roll is also very significant, when compared to urethane wheels. With that in mind, I don’t really see how the two 350W hubs from the pre-made boards would do the job for heavy riders. Using significantly beefier motors with belts/chains would overcome that, but at the expense of power frugality. This will be my next goal. But at this stage, might as well use full-on mountainboard wheels…

On the plus side, going over some hard dirt track, grass or pebbles felt kind of good, behaving much better than urethane.

well lets see what @donta42 says about his “fix”. There is someone who wants to make sleeves of this kind of stuff and glue them onto normal wheels, but without these holes and profil pattern. Dunno how that is going to work out. Here the link

1 Like

So filling the holes did not fix any vibration issues…

I went through 3 of those permatex bottles to fill the 240 holes… it was an extreeeemely dirty job haha!

I might have fixed a tiny bit of noise, but oh man the vibration is still nasty.

1 Like

That’s very unfortunate, was hoping for good results :slightly_frowning_face: Would not mind to see some pictures though!

Pics? I was going to ride mine today but. Well rain.

well isnt one point to have those ro ride in the rain? or are your electronics not weather proof

I’m just a chicken lol. No, I needed up riding it.

I just did the front wheels. Vibrations are still there, a little less but for me never was a big deal since happens at low speeds. My main reason was for improving a tiny bit the rolling resistance which is too early to say but seems a bit better.

Here some pics (don’t laugh):

Ft7dEiQ7Kc8dFxAwYhvw NodvI%20GbTwq9qB2O9YqoFw

I’ve another important question. It seems to me that the motor can’t handle well 30A. It stutters if you give full power when you start standstill.

@SKULLBOARD list it as 20A max.

However, diyeboard list it as 30A.

Can it be that’s because @SKULLBOARD is using the easy connector which can’t handle 30A and Diyeboard doesn’t? What do you think? @Hummie ?

IMG_3455 IMG_3451 IMG_3452 IMG_3453

I only did the holes. filling was VERRRRY SLOWWWWW…did both fronts and rears. (The thick viscosity makes travel through the syringe very difficult… I’ll be honest, my fingers went numb at the end)

BEFORE AND AFTER workarea… hahahah!!

IMG_3442 IMG_3446

I took it out for a spin last night after 24hrs of cure time. ZERO difference in vibrations… But a slightly quieter ride during CARVING… (whereas before, the collapsing of air holes on the warm wheels made a crap ton of noise… cornering with a flat’ish tire)

This morning, I also tested the newly filled holes of the front wheels on my Avenue suspension setup, in hopes that there would be SOME reduction of vibration…I’m bummed to report that this was not the case. :frowning: My wheels must be severely imbalanced… When i crouched next to the skullboard s1 and simply rolled it back and forth with my hand, I could see the nose of the board shake LEFT AND RIGHT. I CANT GET RID OF THESE VIBRATIONS…

5 Likes

Try my solution lol

I honestly don’t think doing a DIY tread fill is going to be viable afterall. permatex 27037 is going to be too “soft” for the exterior tread fill. for testing purposes maybe… but It’s not going to hold up against any form of asphalt for very long… It’ll tear up pretty easily on the outside of the tire like that… It’ll work fine to fill in all the holes, but that’s not where the major vibration is coming from after all. :confused:

why any motor has a current max I wonder. the only real reason in my mind would relate to the maximum magnetic strength that could be supported by the stator. magnetic strength produced by the stator will increases linearly with increasing amps (based on the kv and kt) up to the point the stator starts to saturate and then the current isn’t producing much more magnetic field.

1 Like