105mm airless tire hub motor

Oh ok! I’d be curious to know how well the hubs work with the dual 6.6 and 12s, and what kind of performance and range they achieve. :+1:

I’ll try to test back the 6.6 tomorrow or later this week but I got only 11s

Forgot to mention that I’m using stock Vedder firmware.

That’s a really nice looking wheel.

the next version has a different tire that should work better

@Kug3lis if you’ll use them to make a 3D file for the community, I’ll send you my SkullBoards hubs for free.

I’d love to see 3Dservisias precision wheels for these tires, if practical.

well a lathe is also quite a good tool to be honest.

It’s an awesome tool considering half of the parts we use in esk8 are circular

looked on ebay for lathe service…fking nothing. maybe i could weld that block to the wheel.

You could try your local maker space if they have a lathe or try 3D printing an adapter

It is indeed a pretty good tool, and well worth investing a couple hundred £/$ in and a some time to learn how to use one.

I’d just buy one (oh wait, I did) :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, the cost of a second hand hobby lathe is nothing compared to the $$$/£££/€€€ youll probably spend on a board and opens up a world of options

does someone have any video review etc. with skulboard hubs and flipsky dual 4.20 vesc??/

gr sam

Just received a set of 4 (front) wheels, delivery was quick, great service and all, pleased to see bearings and spacers included, really nice looking beefy wheels. For now, they’re just bolted on a EVO push board/ land paddle board, while I work on a way to mount a pulley.

However I must say that I’m pretty disappointed by the quality of the ride at pushing speed. (or maybe I had high expectations of smoothness). Definitely lots of rattling, vibration and noise, and resistance to roll. Nothing to do with the thread pattern, but with the holes in the rubber. If you’re a heavy rider (90kg / 6kg board), the compression on the tyre is uneven due to the spacing between those holes, and you get that feeling of riding wheels with flat spots.

The board by itself rolls beautifully and smoothly, but as the load increases, vibrations arise, and drag increases. Very noticeable when pushing as there is a partial weight transfer on the pushing leg.
I believe those wheels would feel fantastic for a 60kg rider, but for heavier riders, the same tyre without those holes (making it homogeneous then) would be soooooo much better. Maybe better at higher speeds though, and with a motorized solution, extra resistance to roll wouldn’t be that bad. So I’ll give a second opinion then.

A more flexible deck (than the EVO!) could also dampen some of those vibrations to a more acceptable level. More testing to come. Just didn’t want too many people to get over excited, like I was…

4 Likes

well your review and explanation does reenforce the problems of some other riders. maybe they shouldnt make those holes and trust that the softer robber in itself has more cushioning than normal urethane.

Im 215 lbs and the board vibrate so badly when acceleration.

1 Like

If you watch the JCR board video above it looks like they are moving away from the holes to a solid rubber skin that is slightly more narrow than the hub motor.

dunno, i abandoned this idea anyway @alexnz described it very well why these wheels generate vibrations. maybe some company will make them solid without holes but most of these are hard rubber and not the softer type.

If the holes are causing the vibrations like @alexnz reported I wonder how they would ride if you were to fill the holes with something. Maybe flexible 3D printing filament? What is the diameter of the holes?

1 Like

Probably I would just fill them with polyurethane or silicone rather than trying to shove stuff in them.

1 Like

I had that idea about injecting filler into the holes last night as well. I just ordered some Permatex 82180 RTV gasket maker and some craft syringes. The stuff has a pretty decent working time and is designed to hold up in a lottttt of heat. I’ll take some pics and vids along the way when I get it going this weekend. I’m also thinking about just filling in the tread cavities as well, maybe up to 80-90% of the depth.

4 Likes