VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

Yep, the led flashes when the batteries are low.

Please note that the diagram above doesnā€™t apply anymore, if youā€™re just going by the order of the wire colours, due to changes in the new VESC board.

However, if you follow the label pin names, youā€™ll get it right!

yeah I wasnā€™t using the image as a wiring reference, just an example of soldering. if you scroll up the page a bit there is a correct wiring diagram.

@lowGuido I always that that you wanted us to solder the wires directly to VESC. In the ā€œgoodā€ example above, the JST port plugs into VESC. have you had a change of heart? Youā€™re the main of soldering advocate on the forum!

I was only putting some images that I found in google search. that was not my ideal choice but it was here on the forum already. sorry I couldnā€™t find any directly soldered ones.

to be correct I still stand by my ā€œsolder all the thingsā€ statement

2 Likes

Hi tbrt555,

how have you split the power wires in this photograph? They look very neat indeed! Have you just soldered both negatives / positives to the one 5.5mm bullet, or did you find a splitter of some sort? I just soldered all three wires together as neatly as i could, but it took a lot of heat! (8 AWG wire) What gauge is this wire?

Its 12AWG wire. I first stripped both wires and I strapped the cores together using a single strand of copper wire. I then applied heat and soldered the strapped cores together. Then I soldered the joined wires to the bullet connector.

Ahhh, thanks.

Yeah 12 AWG would make things a lot easier! I went with 8 gauge because of all the talk about cable length for FOC. Im sure 10 probably would have been fine though as the cables are very short. Havenā€™t actually tried FOC yet as one of my VESCs died after my first few successful test rides :frowning: Waiting on a new one now. Was running on 12S lipo, but with heat sinks and active cooling fan. No idea what killed it.

Got ya @lowGuido. I still havenā€™t seen a VESC-soldered-to-Kama-reciever image anywhere. It seems like everyone uses the JST port on VESC. Has anyone soldered it directly?

I received a pair of VESCā€™s from @chaka a few days ago, and I have ordered 2 Nyko Kamaā€™s (along with $40 shipping fee) from amazon, so watch this spaceā€¦

I should point out, I am not saying that the JST is sub standard or that it wont work. I just believe that on a skateboard the amount of vibration is greater than any of these plugs are designed to handle, and soldering just removes all doubt.

1 Like

Has anyone found a problem to the Nyko Kama not activating the motors?

The receiver light turns on and nyko kama remote connects and receives signals as when i push a button on the remote the receiver light flashes on and off, but does not spin the motors.

Using BLDC I can spin either motor just not using the remote.

Have you double checked your wiring ? Did you reboot after setting the Nunchuck app in the BLDC/VESC ? Can you see the input bar move in BLDC nunchuck tab ?

My Nyko Kama receiver only has one blue led, to indicate signal from the nunchuck. It only flashes when thereā€™s no connection, never when I press a button.

in BLDC tool, app tab, what control method is selected?

Wired my dual setup and tried the nunchuck for the first time and at first it worked as it should work. But then I tried the connection by walking to the next room and suddenly it went full thorttle, luckily the board was upside down. Is this normal would the soldering help? I use the chakas pre soldered receiver with jst-plug to vesc

@Haimindo - Usually an issue with the Nyko Kama + receiver (bluetooth). Some people have mentioned they soldered it and connection was a lot more stable.

Is that behavior repeatable ? What timeout settings do you have set ?

It happened twice. First when I was 3 meters from board and second time when I was just next to it. Iā€™ll update the Vescs to the latest firmware and check the settings tomorrow :thumbsup:

Jeeze! Thatā€™s scary. Think i might ditch the Nunchuck when my VESCā€™s come in and go with @torqueboards remote or something similar. Cruise control isnā€™t necessary.

For the record, Iā€™ve been using a nunchuck for several weeks now without a single hiccup.

Sounds like you may have interference from something indoors.

1 Like

Yeah thats normal, scary isnā€™t it. It does not do that when you lose connection, oddly enough. So turn it off if you plan on walking away from your board :wink:

1 Like