VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

Good to know, I’ll try different scenarios tomorrow and report to you guys

I have been usinf nyko kama nunchucks for years with no issues. I have built 7 boards and all of them use the chucks. All of them are soldered IF YOU DON’T INTENDED TO SOLDER THEM DONT USE THEM. Also I never walk away from my board. Nunchuck is designed for close use. Like a couple of meters soldering wont improve that.

1 Like

So I soldered mine and there were still problems. However I figured out it was the motor wires screwing up the signal. Placing the receiver close to the wires and applying throttle instantly screws up the signal. Moving it 10 cm from the wires and everything is fine.

It should be added to the guide that the receiver should be AT LEAST 5-10 cm from any wires with lots of current going through. Mine is VERY stable after getting longer wires and relocating it.

1 Like

would a ferrite ring help with this too?

Probably. I usually run ferrite on all my recievers

Has anyone ever used another brand controller? I bought one from GameStop expecting a kama but I got the one in the pic instead. Think it’ll work?

im pretty sure only the Nyko Kama and maybe the memorex are tested to work.

having said that if you can find some others that also work go right ahead and post your findings! (unfortunately most don’t work for some reason)

if you have a wired chuck then the data lines are all the same, and should always work. all brands of wired chuck seem to work. however depending on how the particular brand utilizes their wireless data handshaking to get the data to the dongle will determine if it will work. It stands to reason that every nunchuck should be able to work, as long as you can convince it that it is indeed talking to a nintendo on the other end and you are in the middle of playing a game. how you do that? I’m not sure. but I bet there’s a way.

TLDR: all the nunchuck data streams are the same and should work. however wireless comms are not the same and may not.

Ok, well I’ve already bought it, so I may as well give it a shot I suppose…

Id love to find some new options… im sick of paying $55 for Kamas shipped from USA. (even if they are still the best skate controller. haterz :smiling_imp:)

I found out I can return it within 7 days, but my other parts don’t come in until later this month, so I’m trying to decide whether to risk it and hang onto it and take one for the eSk8 community by possibly finding a cheaper alternative, or just returning it…

Will this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wireless-Nunchuck-for-Nintendo-Wii-Wii-U-Black-White-/281867479438?hash=item41a09c698e:g:uBsAAOSwwE5WVjN0

Somewhat doubt it, but it’s a possibility! If you’re willing to give it a shot let us know whether it works or not!

1 Like

From @trbt555

3 Likes

I made a video on deconstructing the Nyco Kama and hooking it to the VESC:

6 Likes

Hey guys, It’s hard to get a Nyko Kama here in Eu.

So should this one work aswell ?

As long as it’s a wii wireless nunchuck it should work right?

From what I’ve read in my research only the Nyko Kama really works correctly out of the box (no extra electronics). But for 18$ it’s not a big issue if it doesn’t work so I’d give it a shot.

Personally I bought a Logic3 wiimote but I’m just waiting on my VESC before I can try that. I’ll give an update in a month or so :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might be able to put the custom Nunchuck RF pcb into the remote and use the original joystick+battery. @chaka knows a lot about it, maybe he could give some advice here.

I purchased it from Amazon and it didn’t work

1 Like

i dont know . cannot make promises . thanks for the link . i’m now gonna order a few and test it . thanks THIRTEEN !

XIII = thirteen right ?

so many variety of nunchucks . have you tried it yet ?. post a video once if successful .