VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

Yes, the recievers light. I guess the only thing you can do is really doublecheck everything. If everything checks out connectionwise it’s propably a dud kama. It’s unfortunatly not uncommon.

I found this thread from endless sphere where someone actually had the exact same receiver as me, and he hooked it up properly ( same way as I did based on the diagram ) and his didn’t work either.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69557

Is it possible that some of the receivers need 5v instead of 3.3v ?

Doubt it, the wiimote delivers around 3v to it’s accessories.

oh ok, i guess maybe theres just something wrong with that model. Btw has anyone ever tried out this nunchuck? http://www.amazon.com/Z-Chuk-Wireless-Nunchuk-Controller-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002A1O4RW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1452937067&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=mad+catz+z+chuck

I ordered two of them, neither worked on the vesc. They work really well on the wii though :stuck_out_tongue:

I have Nyko Kama and a blue light should come on like this:

I bought two Nyko Kama on eBay.

I see, I found a thread on endless sphere where someone actually said the mad catz z-chuck worked for them.

So I guess maybe all the nunchucks are like that… some of them work and some don’t… really annoying that you have to get lucky to get one that works.

@sgaana Do you know which seller that is? Is there a place to order that will always be a version that works ?

Madcatz nunchuk is not working while directly connected to VESC, maybe people who have tried this were using an additional wiiceicer. In that combination it might work with madcatz.

I ordered 10 Kama nunchucks from a seller “viedogamesdivawholesale” through eBay, all of them are working.

great thanks for the info. I’ll try that guy out. It looks like you were right, the thread I saw was referring to the wiiceiver.

anyone in oz wanna go halves in a box of 10? LOL?

If you are referring to that ebay user, he also sells the individuals: Generic Wireless Nunchuck for Nintendo Wii for sale online | eBay

yeah its way too expensive to pay shipping for just 1.

I bought a black one from: http://www.ebay.com/usr/eparts-plus-more Another white one from: http://www.ebay.com/usr/mw-ldub?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 I think it was pure luck that mine are working with VESC.

Due to demand he seem to have increased the price by 50%, they were 13$ when I ordered those some months ago.

I actually ordered this for same day delivery from amazon and I just got it and it looks like it works ( at least it powers on. I’ll have to check to see if it works via BLDC )

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Wireless-Kama-Black-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0047SFGDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453002057&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+nyko+kama

At the time of this writing the seller is “Carpe_Diem” and “Fulfilled by Amazon”

I was using the quanum 22$ from hobby king. It was fine but I kept breaking receivers (3) and the batteries seem to get sucked out by every third or fourth ride. I broke the third receiver banging it so I hooked up the nunchuck. I was worried about it to begin with having read things and thought i could get it hard wired and be safe. I didnt hardwire it. After being ok for maybe a slow 3 miles I got bolder and a couple of times it would full throttle on me for 2 seconds after I had let go of full throttle and then maybe throw on the brakes! I don’t know if it’s from lost connection or not. I hear Bluetooth is not a safe connection. I miss my safe 22$ trans and ordered one immediately.

Is it true the it’s going to be inherently unsafe because it’s Bluetooth?

It’s a nice control and worked nicely and I adjusted to it quickly and it looks cool and convenient but for me no way.

Yea I’ve also been wondering what the effects of dropouts are? I havn’t set mine up so I don’t know if I’ll get them, but what will happen when a connection “drops out” ? Will it immediately brake, accelerate, coast, or what ?

Unpredictable at least. Maybe any of those. If you’re using a VESC, there’s a safety timeout that will go to neutral or brake when there’s no control input but unfortunately we don’t know what the Nyko receiver does when it loses signal from the nunchuck. Does it keep sending the last throttle input it was receiving ? Does it just do nothing ? It certainly doesn’t have a fail-safe mode like conventional RC receivers have. Those can be programmed to go to a predetermined setting when the signal drops.

I have a nunchuck and haven’t had any problems yet. I replaced the wires on the receiver entirely with longer ones and I put it as far as I could from the controllers. I also put the receiver back in it’s case for protection. It’s on the bottom left in this picture:

I see, I just figured if its happened to so many people, maybe they would actually know what happens. Another question is also how do you know when you need to replace the batteries on the nunchuck? There is no display, right, and I imagine you wouldn’t want to just randomly run out of batteries while riding around one day. Is there some standard that people follow to replace before it runs out ? Does the nyko nunchuck have any built in method to tell you, like flashing a certain color or something ?

I’m about 99% sure any nunchuck dropouts come from not soldering the dongle directly. if you don’t solder the nunchuck dongle you can expect anything from random full throttle to zero response at all. just expect to street your face any time you ride with a non soldered dongle.

my chuck batteries seem to last for ages. I think I have only replaced them like 2 or 3 times in 800km! to be sure I always ride with a couple of AAA’s in my pocket. its not too much baggage. plus its also not too hard to grab a pair from any nearby shop if you did happen to run out. also I’m fairly sure the LED flashes when they are running low. it also flashes if you lose signal.

TLDR: BAD:

GOOD:

1 Like