VESC Connect BETA PROGRAM [Abandoned - Incomplete]

When should we expect to receive these boards?

What should we think about all of that? No updates, no information, nothing. Sorry, that’s disappointing.

I just know that we sent you 100$ in April and until now nothing happened for 4 months.

The boards came in almost 2 weeks ago so hopefully progress is being made, but I feel more and more like we are on a bad kickstarter. Interesting that Jacob works for Enertion now and there haven’t been any Enertion vlogs in about a month when they were coming out almost daily. Thinking this is small company blues and over promising of things that couldn’t be delivered. Not sure if the whole thing is in a downward spiral. Maybe @jacobbloy can give us an updated or offer refunds again, but I assume he spent the money by now, so we all could be screwed. I did have to wait 4 months to get my VESCs from Enertion so maybe it’s par for the course over there.

Looks like he’s spending the money on holiday in California.

The money was spend the day I placed the order for the motors, then an unplanned problem happends.

I only work for enertion maybe 1 day a week and it’s usually replying to customer emails.

@onloop stoped posting videos daily about the same time as his wife had there second child, I think this is far being a father of 2 videos take time.

I keep my personal life away from business and my trip to the US was a family trip where I was invited to visit Ryan while I was there. It’s none of your business but I didn’t pay a cent for the trip.

The problem is you took our money and are only defending yourself. Where is the project update?

I’m pretty sure he took your money and bought the components to make the above boards. And code, and likely a bunch of other beta program issues. Sounds like hardware might’ve changed and likely had to re-code to fix.

This shit takes time. It’s great you gave some money to support this program, but that doesn’t give you say in the guys life. Moving slowly - sure. It’s a project - not his only job. This is typical of almost every kickstarter and indiegogo - what they estimate and actual time to deliver are hugely different. If you can’t be patient, then you shouldn’t contribute.

@Jacobbloy - let me know if a spot opens up to help out w/ my $99. Best of luck keeping this moving.

2 Likes

Just major lack of communication is troublesome. Telling the people that contributed he is taking time off for vacation and will update when returning wouldn’t take much time.

I see what you’re saying, but $99 does not get you a say into his life. I’d take time off too if i’d be putting in all my own money and spare time into a project, then dealt with delays, and assorted frustrations trying to keep it on-track. That sounds stressful, and he likely really needed some time away.

glass is half full kinda guy i guess.

Communication is tough, and larger projects have entire teams of people to manage it. Being the guy who does it all - from coding, to planning, ordering, inventorying, shipping, etc. - a lot of work and communication isn’t moving the actual code along towards completion so it usually takes a back seat until a milestone and something to announce. Then you have folks hounding you to get an update - which takes away from time to get the code or hardware done… it becomes a vicious cycle and super frustrating i’d bet.

1 Like

So @jacobbloy what is the current status of the project? You are quick to defend yourself and your privacy, but haven’t provided any updates for the contributors.

Can someone please explain me what modules this project includes and how they communicate?

1. Transmitter is connected to VESC (is it bluetooth or nrf?)
  2. Nunchuck controller (bluetooth or nrf or both?)
  3. Mobile phone (bluetooth)

How realtime data is received? VESC -> nunchuck -> phone? Or VESC -> phone?

Pcbs have just arrived and are with my sister in AZ, she is forwarding them to me to avoid import tax. I will then flash them test them and assemble them. Hub motors I have shipped a few ppl urethan samplesto test for me

I believe is VESC → Jacob PCB → Phone

There’s an (open source!) project from this April (not mine, from gh: gpxlBen, is he on the forum?) I recently found on github, with a mobile app to doing data logging instead of configuration/anything:

It look that it works, I don’t have that board (adafruit ble uart chip) yet, only Arduino/Duino and Intel edison so I was not able to try it.

related to programming (tl;dr random stuff): But an idea of a uart chip seems cool for this application. I also didn’t knew what uart was a thing. (A UART is usually an individual (or part of an) integrated circuit (IC) used for serial communications over a computer or peripheral device serial port. - “basically a serial port / communication channel between small devices to do RPC - remote procedure call - call functions on the other machine/circuit” - uart means Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter, definitions from wikipedia - I would have name it something like asyncRPC instead of uart) cool stuff…

edit: I tested his app, it works well, I made two videos and I’m extending the app to save the logs into a file that can be exported through itunes and then used to generate video overlays (as Vedder does in its videos). Anyway here are the two videos:

introducing the logger iOS app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdPEUR7D_8

testing it in the “field”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBh3x0yLSbo

Nice. Brushless Gimbal in one hand and iPad plus esk8 controller in the other hand. That is how it should be done. :sunglasses: The App looks nice and when I have time and feel confident to drive again I will try to make it also working with the cheaper HM-10 modules. In my opinion the delay must be eliminated when it is possible to make the App useful. Looks like a buffer problem or something like that. So that in the beginning everything is in realtime and then over time the delay increase. That makes it useless for long time logging. Maybe the update rate of the VESCs Uart is to fast.

I haven’t looked at that part of the code yet, for real-time visualization it misses also the current value, it has only the average and the max value, to get the latest value you have to tap and swipe on the chart to the right edge. I already implemented the logging to file and pushed the changes to my fork, I will do some testing to see if it works.

you’ve seen this right? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68975&hilit=Vesc+Logger&start=100#p1211940

guy made it. doesn’t do everything in the bldc tool but a lot

1 Like

@jacobbloy What is the plan and schedule for completing this? A week to ship to you, a week to get them programmed, and a week to get them shipped out? When are you expecting to ship these?

Did you abandon this @jacobbloy?

If so, please let us know.

Lack of communication is indeed frustrating. If you personally insult him you get a quicker response.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for quite some time. His response times are not ideal. I hate to say this, but I think I am pulling out. There will be another opening for a $299 hub motor set soon and maybe also for the VESC connect as well.