Vedder's VESC 6.0

Cables and connectors: We will soon offer all sorts of cables and connectors, so that you CAN have your Board up running without soldering.

A JST-Ph to PPM is on the list.

SAFETY: IF YOU BUILD A NEW BOARD AND RIDE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME, SET A SAFE RPM/SPEED LIMIT AND DROP YOUR MOTOR MIN/BATTERY MIN TO A VALUE THAT THE BOARD WILL NOT BRAKE HEAVILY. SET YOUR MOTOR MAX TO VALUES ONLY ALLOWING GENTILE ACCELERATION. TEST YOUR BOARD FOR A WHILE, SO YOU KNOW EVERYTHING IS STABLE AND WORKS RELIABLE. THEN YOU START TO INCREASE THE VALUES AND TEST AGAIN. THIS WAY A POOR CONNECTION WILL NOT CAUSE MAJOR TROUBLE OR ACCIDENTS. RIDE YOUR BOARD SOMEWHERE WHERE NO ONE IS PUT TO DANGER IN CASE OF A FAILURE.

FRANK

4 Likes

I had only 6 pins JST, I cut one in half with a cutter and there you have a 3 pin jst that fits very well. Also to be safe against connectors unplugging while youā€™re going downhill you can configure the VESC to brake after a second or so after the connection with the remote is lost. you can also chose the braking amount - now this setting in the vesc tool is in the App Setting (General) section: Timeout and Timeout Brake Current.

I have tried the 6 with a single motor 6374 in FOC with conservative settings (60A motor max) and itā€™s amazing, with my ~105kg I can climb very steep hills no problem (0.5km - Avg Grade 6% for example), I changed with 90A motor max as with 60A the motor still runs cool, and will try it soon with that too

Iā€™m wating for a way to log data from the new Vesc to be available as there have been (small?) changes in the protocol, I would like to get the max temp reached and the power drawn to check the efficiency. Overall Iā€™m impressed with it and I donā€™t think I will ever need to add extra cooling to it (like exposing the metal part outside of the enclosure).

Link to some data / pics: https://gist.github.com/makevoid/36da9aa49a575c4bab9bd83adae5a590

edit: note the build is 8S even if I plan to change it to a 10S probably to increase max speed + efficiency

2 Likes

xt90s.
although Iā€™m still waiting to hear how a connection with nothing but a bit of vaseline or anti-electric paste would do. stops the arc through the air and then slide the two conductors together.

Now itā€™s possible to scale up, other components need to be beefed up as well. A good setup should still limit the amp flow as much as possible. Voltage up, amps low is still the best way to go.

I donā€™t think there is an of the shelf solution available yet. Have you thought about a parallel array?

Frank

1 Like

There is this guys i am thinking of buying 2 as i have a dual drive trampa with 2 batteries one for each vesc so i would need 2. Only problem is they say hole diameter is 12mm and i have 16mm hole already drilled, so going to make a plan of some sort . What you think ?

2 Likes

The vedder anti spark switch can go more than 40A you just need to change the fuse, I changed to a 50A fuse and it holds 50A w/o problem, the mosfets should be rated for much more (240A?) but probably there are no small fuses (ATO/regular fuse) over 50A that can fit that holder. There are posts on the forum of people soldering a bigger fuse or two in parallel even if the cleanest solution is probably to change the holder to put a bigger fuse (size: maxi) that can go up to 120A.

1 Like

Cant say I have. honestly I only started dabbling in electronics thanks to this first build I am making ( now I cant stop upgrading stuff :stuck_out_tongue: )

@makevoid Thats good to know as if I did want to up the Amps, Atleast I know there is a way without worrying about the mosfets blowing.

Seriously? You donā€™t need 2. Split the power to the vesc after the switch.

this looks fantastic and I wish I could have waited for this project (just bought first build, a pair of VESC 4.12). One thing about the design and how would you be mounting those: if the metal heatsink should be on top it means all the connectors are sitting on the bottom plate. If you would simply place the VESC on the top side of the board, wonā€™t the connections obstruct the clearance?

I want to run vescs and motors to their maximum and if i only get one that will limit me to 60 Amp per motor as it is rated for 120 amp. With 2 i can have settings upto 120 Amp if the vesc and motors can handle it , i dont want my power switch to be the bottle-neck in my system. Correct ?

1 Like

I logged my ride with my vesc 6 based single motor build (single motor 6374 190kv 8S FOC) and thatā€™s the result:

I tried to do a full-throttle test uphill and itā€™s awesome, nothing compared to the 4.12 which without cooling (heatsink) had problems not overheating

Then right after it I was able to reach full speed no prob. (40km/h, itā€™s an 8s)

I also did a braking test and I was able to brake at min current (-60A motor) for more than 30 seconds: https://metr.at/r/JOfun?zoom_start=5276&zoom_end=5459

note you need a beta version of the app, donā€™t try it with the current one (see post on vesc-project)

edit2: links fixed

3 Likes

Did anybody try the VESC 6 with my app? Does it work?

1 Like

Ackmaniac,ā€¦ is your appt useful with single motor boards ?, ā€¦i can understand wanting to tame a double motorā€™s torque but what advantages do you get with a single ?

Heā€™s talking about the app not the firmware. Why shouldnā€™t the app be useful in a single motor build?

What type of battery do you have that can withstand 60A charge current?

I think he means the circulating current in the motor/VESC output stage. You can configure motor regen and battery regen separately.

Yes, edited

Someone tested the VESC 6 with metr.app and brick his VESC 4 because communication has changed a bit. He recovered the VESC with a STLink. Now they have fixed the issue with a bit a reverse engineering.

So sorry, but testing your app with VESC 6 before BV release the protocol seems to be a bit risky. :wink:

3 Likes

links are now fixed if anyone is interested - acceleration full throttle uphill (note elevation - green) https://metr.at/r/JOfun?zoom_start=3209&zoom_end=3467 - full throttle on flat - https://metr.at/r/JOfun?zoom_start=3475&zoom_end=3660 - braking low speed on steep downh (30s): https://metr.at/r/JOfun?zoom_start=5276&zoom_end=5459

1 Like

use a washer :grinning:

1 Like