Vedder's VESC 6.0

That’s a great link with its scan through time on the phone.
You hit 90 percent duty cycle

I’m looking at ur negative amps. Assuming the battery can take it what current can you go for and how do you get it? What bat and motor regen numbers are good

Forgive me for I have sinned.

( It has been filed down to fit, cant be bothered to wait 20 days for the right connector :stuck_out_tongue: )

@trampa You asked for DIY, well here is some bodge instead.

7 Likes

Just make sure to adjust the VESC-Settings to be safe. (PPM- Timeout settings, brake, top speed). You don’t want your board to brake hard, nor have a top speed you can’t handle in case of a failure, nor brakes that would lock in, throwing you off.

Frank

1 Like

Any setting you would reccomend for a first time rider (of an eboard)

Im still pretty new to the tool so I get kinda lost.

1 Like

Basically I adjust my board to be ridable for my 6 year old son. He rides with 8-9A Motor, 8A Regeneration, 15.000 ERPM (depends on gearing you use, I use 14/33 with 83mm wheels). When I try my boards first time, I go for 20A Motor, -10A Regen. I use the same settings for the Motor and Battery. You can set a Brake, when you loose the connection between your Input device and the VESC. This should be a soft setting, not throwing you off, but rather slowing your board down gently. To configure what your board does in case of a signal loss, go to App Settings >General > Timeout and Timeout Brake Current.

You can try out the “fail safe” by switching off your Radio, or pulling the ppm connector out while riding (sitting on your board at low speed).

Once you are comfortable with your setting, you can increase your Amp draw and Brake.

Frank

3 Likes

Cheers frank, Ill try that, Dont want to break a bone before I even get to do a first proper ride.

2 Likes

I would not recommend driving like this, but I already told you that the crimp contact of the 2.54mm is different then on the jst ph 2.0mm and will not hold properly. So you can’t say no one warned you before.

its mostly because I wanted to see if everything worked correctly and that the JST connectors seem to be coming on snail mail from china in 20 days :frowning:

This someone was me and if @Ackmaniac hasn’t changed the communication protocol of his app then it can’t work for sure.

1 Like

I found some on Amazon Prime. 20 sets = 40 connectors! So have a “few” extra for anyone who wants to PM me in the US i’ll drop a stamp and send your way. Share the love a bit. Or grab a set for the $8 and share w/ your friends…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLQL4IO

My international brethren - i’d look at Amazon for your area if reasonable/fast. Otherwise ebay/aliexpress/etc. - not as quick i’m sure but dirt cheap. I know we are more than a bit spoiled in the US w/ fast shipping on these.

2 Likes

To set up your board and play around with settings that’s fine. If you want to boost your settings and go for a proper ride, please use the Jst-connector for safety.

Frank

2 Likes

@trampa whats the dimensions with the aluminum case? i remember seeing them a while back but couldn’t find, i will start to 3D print my enclosure but need to know if it will fit

and the mounting holes are all 4mm?

Thanks

Agreed - they are currently priced too high. The first batch betas got a steep discount, so that’s how I got it for $185. Give it a year or so for the price to come down. Right now a $99 VESC 4 will probably work fine. I’ve got 500 miles on mine. If you run 12s on a VESC 4 just don’t run FOC.

1 Like

im using a VESC 4.12 for my ONDA CORE conversion at the moment. its working really well. I plan on getting another one soon to make it a dual Setup like you were saying.

Here is a link to the EBay Seller i am in contact with. VESC 4.12

@trampa do you have any information on how to use the built-in NRF module? I have tried the automatic pairing function, but the VESC can’t seem to connect to my custom NRF remote. How do I prepare my custom NRF-remote for the VESC 6 automatic pairing? :slight_smile:

Cheers, Frank

Hi Frank,

Im not sure if I don’t see it, but what you just linked is not documentation, but the source code for vedders nunchuk mod (thousands of lines). I am only a novice developer and C is not my main language - I can’t even understand half of the code as there are no code comments…

A simple example of how to utilize the built-in NRF-module would be great :slight_smile:

Benjamin basically dropped the latest firmware onto mine, using a tunnel to Sweden through my Linux laptop. It’s not plug and play yet. If you tell me what HW you have, I can see what is the best way to sort out the FW for your device.

Frank

Any Updates on the Firmware for vesc 4.12?

2 Likes

@trampa Do You think that in future there will be an option to implement communication with smartphone app via onboard NRF? This would be awesome, being able to change basic VESC parameters on the go, or monitor basic stuff like current, wattage etc.