Vedder's VESC 6.0

Agreed. I don’t have any adapters provided with these. I might have a 3pin JST at home, but if not this adds delay before i can test… For the price - they should’ve been included. Beta or not.

I like the lower profile of the jst-ph connectors but I will admit they are a difficult combination to find. We made a small batch if anyone needs them. Here is our listing. http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/vesc6-ppm-connector

6 Likes

I thought you guys are DIY. Just strip off the plastic from the dam PPM plug, shrink tube the metal clips and plug in. Secure the cable/connection with some Gaffa -Tape, so that the connectors will not move or vibrate out. Order a JST-PH and get the connection sorted as soon as the parcel arrives.

Update: As Hexacopter stated quite right, this method is for testing and adjusting the RC-Controller and playing around a bit, not for riding your board. The JST-PHR connectors can be found at RS-Components, Farnell, Mouser and online auction houses. @hexakopter s criticism is quite right!

Frank

2 Likes

We only ride like savages, we take pride in what we build :wink:

2 Likes

Frank can u tell me if the winning remote will work with the vesc 6 and the built in NRF reciever it has ? Or will i still have to use an additional reciever ?

If it was me and I didn’t have the connectors I would remove the jst-ph and solder directly to the pcb to keep it “clean”.

No it will not work. That device is standard 2.4Ghz equipment. To use the NRF, you want a pimped Nunchuck with replacement NRF-PCB.

Frank

1 Like

Ok thanks. Any links on where i can get a nice one from ?

you shrink tube with tiny shrink tubing the 3 bare wires to …are they pins or fins or what? And then use tape to hold it you say. I’m just curious what people do. why not solder?

i used j and b weld once and shorted.

risk of shorting out our loverly new VESC. but now you mention it. soldering the wires into place is getting more and more tempting as I really want to finish my first build :slight_smile:

Hey Frank - you know I speak my mind. Yeah i’m DIY, and that’s exactly what I will do… cables are already ordered. Won’t slow me down too much, but where i’d normally solder it i’m actually being gentle with this gorgeous case/pcb - trying not to hack it up just yet.

BUT you are missing the point - this is a premium ESC and it’s missing somewhat specialty connectors to use it. That’s a miss on Trampa’s part IMO. A <$100 4.12 VESC from another seller came with a short servo cable

2 Likes

Please don’t do that. The crimp contact from the 2.54mm plug doesn’t fit the lot smaller pinheader from the JST PH 2.0mm socket. I often used this method for connecting individual pins from the 2.54mm plug to the 2.54mm pinheader and that works, but with the JST PH it will not work and don’t makes a proper connection.

Btw I also thought the people here (in the BETA batch) are more DIY and they know the fact that the PPM header on the VESC 6 has a JST PH 2.0mm socket installed for over half a year so ordering one could have happen a lot earlier, but putting some JST PH connectors with one side of the wire unsoldered to our packages would have been still a good and useful idea.

Please don’t even consider doing it. Its stupid and you don’t get a reliable connection.

@Maxid

Nope. For 4mm female bullets also use 4mm male ones. You can see it in the picture here that there is a big difference between 3.5mm and 4mm bullets.

It is what trampa says:

The left says 4mm bullets that fit 3.5male

2 Likes

Anyone else already tried the Vesc?

The connector for me is a minor thing. The focus should be on the incredible performance and possibilties of this new vesc. Ben did a incredible job with the assistance Frank, thank you both for offering a major improvement to the DIY community.

2 Likes

They also told you “Just strip off the plastic from the dam PPM plug, shrink tube the metal clips and plug in. Secure the cable/connection with some Gaffa -Tape, so that the connectors will not move or vibrate out.” But just don’t do it.

@sebaszz Haven’t received mine yet, because trampa thought it would be a good idea to repack the german VESCs by Frank and then send it out again. Will tell my experiences when I received it.

I tested with 4mm and it seems to fit. According to the Trampa website it is 4mm connectors and 3.5mm should fit as well. My bad about the photo I posted last night - it was too late (I was too tired) and I didn’t notice that my measurement tool was totally off! :sweat: The tool should have said 4 mm diameter as said on the Trampa website :slight_smile:

I can not wait to test the VESC - it really looks good! :smiley: Nice work @trampa and BV!

Yes it maybe will not fall out that easy, but you can push the most current through a connector when it is using the most connection area available. So maybe it works for low current applications, but I would not trust using the wrong diameter in a serious build that is pushing a lot of amps.

I agree. I’ll use the 4mm connectors :slight_smile:

go cart 10 chars

4mm male is the one.

Frank

2 Likes