The Racers Room

Honestly, while hillclimbs sound brutal, and downhill e-sk8 racing sketchy af, it also sounds like a lot of fun.

I mean, bandaging up wounds while you are warming up burritos with your motors, what more could you want?

Not to be ruled out, some of the best and twistiest roads on earth don’t have much elevation change or traffic, some of them are even banked and shit.

4 Likes

I guess my quest involves finding the “style” of electric skateboarding worthy of being considered cool or acceptable by the rest of the existing skateboarding world…Rodney Mullin was once considered a freak, watching his freestyle antics and now look, the entire world of skateboarding preforms his many inventions everyday. Jay Adams would demonstrate a smooth surfing flow that you all take for granted to this day, like simply riding that way has always been, but it wasn’t. He just did it, never cared about what people thought really, and look how it is appreciated and still holds value to this day, they couldn’t even find a way to score him at his 1st competitions, and adding brushless power to this toy should be a ground breaking renaissance on how we view the toy, what we can do with it, and what new style and ethics it creates in the skateboarding world? Sure we can all ride one, stand on it, roll around and carve, go fast or slow, go far or on a course…but where’s the style? What are the ethics? What I am saying is that numbers are boring…numbers don’t last like the stance of Jay Adams dropping a bank or doing a Burt…skating has never been about numbers really, unless your talking about world records and that’s sort of a personal thing and not really a race or an event…where is the downhill skateboarding that use to be in the Xgames and all that? Do they still do it? or did the audience get bored already? It simply isn’t sustainable, so find out what it sustainable and lasting…in my opinion, it’s the innovative styles and ethics you have yet to invent around a badass thing, the powered skateboard…I think you guys are actually selling it short…it’s actually the best personal mode of transportation I have even seen and I would start with focusing on the freedom and experience the toy provides, show that off, show case it through races or events and that will entice people…as it’s what brings people to buy them already…The Chinese have one things going them in this market…they are marketing to the right consumer, but they are forgetting style…and that’s why skaters hate electric skateboards…no coolness, no style, no ethics…meaning no substance behind those numbers…

1 Like

No, ethics is what retains the standard of style, it helps define for everyone what is cool and what isn’t. Like if I said “Bob is rad dude cus he just shredded down the road in front of the school naked in front of all the children” You might disagree and say, hey that’s not cool, making that style unethical within our culture as it maybe should be. But if I say “Did you see Bob’s video of him jamming through traffic for 10 miles without shoes through NY city the other day?” and you say, yeah that was rad, then our culture would define that as a rad style of skateboarding and a great example of it’s use. Consensus, peer review, opinion and culture can and will create the definitions of what is cool and what isn’t, and then ethics of the community enforce them. The rock climbing community functions that way, as sport climbing, is either and sort of a joke. It’s a way to self regulate a non-sport sport, like say cheer leading…lol They have cheer leading competitions right? Is cheer leading a sport? what numbers do they care about in a cheer leading competition? I’m curious…

All your posts read as if your compensating for something… like your shoe size. Haha

2 Likes

hahahaha, I wear a size 10.5, it is actually pretty small for a 6 foot man…but fits a nice 9 inch old school deck perfectly, lol

1 Like

Anyway. your Idea may be fun. Has absolutely nothing to do with racing. It is a survival game on esk8. And frankly, knowingly taking risks on public roads with an esk8 for competitions sake is fuqing stupid and absurd. If you race or compete in something the limiting factor should be your skill, not how stupid you can make yourself for a few hours to “race” on a public fuqing road. Endagering others, causing stress factors for others, being an inconsiderate human because style… and you talk about ethics? even if its in the completely wrong context anyway but still…

Something to loock at, this is what it is about, respect for others, family like bonding, and a ton of fun.

THIS IS WHAT IT IS ABOUT:

3 Likes

I think of downhill as just one of the 40 genres of skateboarding…I guess I’m thinking more holistically…The fact that the DH guys are getting major props from the existing skate world now is a fine example, they have balls and shred hard…but there was hate for years…that hate and divide between existing skateboarding culture and what you guys are trying to do, is a gap…a huge giant gap…and I don’t think the existing skateboarding world is going to just stop hating without action or change, I think the eskaters need to become cool, change it up and try new things or at least embrace what they are and what they do (commute)…my hope is that eskating becomes cool someday for skaters, as it has for me…I’m not an electric skateboarder, I’m just a skateboarder and I own about 30 of them made for all kinds of things and styles of riding it;s something I have made effort to study. The electric skate is just another skate to me…How do I ride it in the best style, in the coolest way? Do you guys know yet? Have your races or events formed a consensus yet? Is it designed too? Just things to think about…

I am organizing small cross country events, I didn’t even call it a race, but whoever get there 1st, gets the sponsors prizes…seems the sponsors like the idea, so if you want the prize participate, come do what you do anyway and ride your board. I’m not trying to attract people, I’m trying to prototype “cool”…cus that’s what is sustainable, that’s what will drive future innovation and products and human interest. Open roads are not just open roads, they are allies, bike paths, anything smooth to get you from point A to B, we are not limited to roads just as much as we are not limited to closed courses. My event is a choose your own adventure with multiple paths, including a bike trail the entire length of the 30 mile course, whether you use it and risk law enforcement is up to you but it’s there if your more afraid of cars, that’s the whole point…that’s what makes it cool…not the part where it’s a bunch of nerds standing on toys and recording numbers…lol

Some history of style in skateboarding…

1 Like

We have ethics kooks in rock climbing too. Those that value their lives less and have no other passions so they talk shit on everyone for not risking theirs.

I just like have a fit healthy in one piece body so I can do cool stuff. I can push myself mentally without risking that and other peoples health.

I mean I still take 40 foot falls and shit

2 Likes

noone gives a shit if we are hated, or not cool yet. We have a community here and those are the poeple I care about. If somone calls me a moron for runing down a pass at 70 well his opinion won’t affect what I do.

And having spent my entire life on a skateboard and witthin the various communities, I have never heard anyone hating downhill. What ever you may dislike about the sport it is hard to diss something liek this BEAUTY or this best of the best.

I really don’t want this to turn out into a pissing contest. But arguments have been made from many people that it doesn’t matter how asweome your idea is if it come after “public road”. (and I commute everyday back and forth twice. Still I ride as much as possible away from main roads or public roads). Never got the midset of feeling boss, like a G or awesome disturbinng the public, gerating risk on others and being a genuine ass. I ride alot on public roads up to 80km/h regularly. I do my best to allways be friendly, have talks with locals to get them engaged with us rather than the police for no reason. And since we are on a public road there is no point in stressing out a car around you that could kill you. As soon as we even spot a kid, a dog or anything out of the ordinary its chill time, down to 15-20 and pass slowly. No need to endager other just because you feel steez about it, ever. Nothinng about that is cool, its just moronic.( And no it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ETHICS!!!)

Why am I such a mama’s boy or “pussy” you may ask. Well you know having to bury dead friends because they wanted to be cool and go over board on public roads kinda changes you. There are times to unleash your inner beast, your speed demon or whatever holy force is possesing you. That though is for events, specially organised days just for that purpose. Just like the perfomance day. Just imagine the fall of @BigBoyToys on a public road with cars around. They did so much right. They had fun, finaly sparked a discussion about racing and competing.

But stuff like

• I’m trying to prototype “cool”
  • whether you use it and risk law enforcement is up to you ( NO MAN, not ever. I am sorry but if you ever want to have anyone take any approach seriously you cannot shit on rules, law annnd public order, we all were 16 year old skaters doing random shit, this time is over man).
  • if your more afraid of cars (:confused: :neutral_face::expressionless:)
  • not the part where it’s a bunch of nerds standing on toys and recording numbers (those nerds are the guys who came up with the vesc, push the innovation you so much seem to care about further. Help out the community upgrading our rides and provide the fundation for knowledge and learning process…)

I mean common dude. Then right at the beginning you throw in holistic, Are we having an argument over doctrins or the effort for an integrated view? or about the consideration of desease treatment ? wuut you lost me there. Throwing in ethics, cool, style or rad also :confused:

Help where am I Hello anybody there ?

4 Likes

I am not proposing ethics for eskate racing, I am trying to find out what they already are. I cannot seem to find them or identify them…

Having fun and not harming others seems fine to me

3 Likes

As for “shitting on rules” I am more of a civil disobedience supporter, especially when it comes to safety, if breaking a law is safer than not, I will always break the law and fight the law later. Roller skates and electric bikes are allowed on the trails while skateboards (powered or not) are not allowed. this is a very unfair use case for a tax payer funded resource, wouldn’t you say? I’m actual working with the county parks and rec. now to allow skateboards and change the laws, I provide data and a use case. The facts and common sense are on my side, that’s why the LEOS and rangers out on the trail let me break the law, they recognize the law’s flaws as well, and they support me riding there and trying to change the laws. They understand me on the trail means me not getting hit by a car and them having to clean it up. You can do what you wish to do, but when I find problems I try to fix them, you don’t have to do it, or support me, but please don’t put me down for trying to make things better or having the passion to act on my beliefs. This is a new activity and law makers and regulators have not been challenged or even analyzed the facts surrounding eskating to make sound decisions. I grew up in a world where we couldn’t skateboard anywhere, now those same lawmakers spend millions to build us skateparks, why? Skateboarding has always been a banned, outlawed and discriminated against, being a pirate and skating spots, even in professional videos is a part of the culture of skateboarding and always has been, I personally embrace that spirit and use it to help gain access for electric skateboarders. To be honest though, I just do it for me, so I can ride the trails without being harasses by bikers and law enforcement and enjoy the public resource like all user-groups. Supposedly there’s a 2k fine for skating the trails, I just get a friendly wave. You never know till you try and skating has a lot to do with trying, and falling down and getting back up again…I can hack it, I love everything about skating, including getting kicked out of parking lots for playing with my toy at 40 year old, it keeps me young, lol

I’m gonna be honest. I didn’t write everything you wrote. Don’t have time for it. Also, paragraphs.

But if I was to start a race on live roads and goaded people into it saying it was the only real race I would feel responsible for if someone got hurt. You also risk drivers who have to avoid you.

1 Like

So you would take on the personally responsibility of others? Why would you do that? It’s called personal responsibility for a reason…dude there’s a line between what I do and what you do and you have zero control over what I do, to even propose you have control over my actions for any reason is just weird, it shows a very skewed sense of reality if you think having an event takes personal responsibility from people, lol. I expect anyone riding with me to take responsibility for themselves, just like every single human on this earth regarding any subject…personal responsibility is just that, to treat it any differently is taking control from those people…and if they understood it, they wouldn’t appreciate it…You are also saying people are too stupid to govern themselves…which is something I do not subscribe too at all…I think I found the problem here, and is has nothing to do with skating or racing, lol…and if your going to attack me and call me a harmful person, you best read what I wrote before you reply…

Or you could make your points coherent

1 Like

It’s in English…I’m not speaking alien am I? It could be the text, I would much rather have the convo in person, over a long ride…lol I type like I speak, I guess you have to hear it…I also say it all with a friendly smile…I sound abrasive but it’s just my passion for skating, something we might share…

I feel like real world races are dangerous if the route isn’t sanctioned off and the roads aren’t in good condition.

I might go to the event in Sac, I might not. The reason being that the risk of injury if you want a shot at winning is high. I can’t do 35 mph on roads I don’t know the condition of without a huge risk of falling. It’s honestly the same case with side by side racing. After I saw @BigBoyToys slam, I was noticeably more cautious for the rest of the race.

The safest racing is timed laps on a controlled course. You know the condition of what your riding on and don’t have the risk that another guy is going to wipe you out. Then, I feel I can really push the boundary of what my board can do.

In any other race, I feel like it’s a huge risk of injury, and I’ve had more injuries (and surgeries) than I can handle for a life time and I’m only 24, haha.

5 Likes

I think you could edit a bit more. It’s a little stream of consciousness. Help your reader.

2 Likes

I totally agree, where we wish to push the technology of the boards is a controlled course environment.BUT where we wish to push the ability of the rider, we want the unexpected for them to deal with…If we were just racing boards we would just make them like RC cars and make an RC car track and completely omit the riders…but this approach includes the riders ability, decision making skills and the board function, all combined into one test. It is more dangerous, it is harder, and that’s the whole point…wheel choices will be really interesting to see, route choices and different tactics in routes will be very very interesting to see. I have a home field advantage, I have done at least one of the routes available, and I can easily provide any and all info you guys ask, and I’ll even go out and run a road if you wish to know it;s condition before the ride, but it might give away your route to the others, lol I’m open source, and I am sure someone will beat me 30 miles…I go slow…but wait till the the 50 miles race…I might start having an endurance advantage considering I’ve been training 50+ mile rides regularly…I focus on the riding, safety, routes, laws and distance…speed is down on my list of priorities while some of you can bring it all already and spank me…without a doubt…

1 Like