OFFICIAL WARNING: Boosted Boards 2.0 Battery Fires

please link the other thread, ill combine

STOP TALKING ABOUT FUCKING POLITICS please

1 Like

My friend just got this (his name deleted):

Dear , On two separate occasions, a lithium battery cell has vented inside the battery pack of the 2nd generation Boosted board. The battery enclosure is a fire-retardant composite and worked as designed to contain the cell failure. Fortunately, no one was injured and no property was damaged. Our engineering team is conducting a thorough investigation and we will update everyone with the results.

We have strongly urged all riders with 2nd generation boards to stop riding and stop charging them. In addition, we will stop shipping boards to new riders until we complete our investigation. We take battery and rider safety extremely seriously at Boosted. We are working non-stop to diagnose this issue and resolve it for all our riders. We appreciate how incredibly disappointing this is for many of our riders, and we ask that you follow our safety recommendations immediately until we complete our investigation. -Sanjay"

I wonder whats happening with their packs. I thought the cells they used were supposedly very stable.

They are using 12S1P A123 LiFePO4 packs. By far the highest discharge and the most stable cells available.

I have my suspicions that their BMS is not doing it’s job correctly. The inaccurate battery SOC issues and venting makes me think that the battery are being seriously over discharged or charged. Either that or the batteries/BMS have a manufacturing defect that is shorting the cells in some way.

The new Boosted update is on their blog BTW. https://boostedboards.com/important-battery-information/

Thanks for the info. It sketches me out. My BMS got a little corroded and has been having wonky SOC/charging issues and the pack is much bigger.

On your own build? Sounds like an issue. My BMS basically killed my pack…

Is this like a hoverboard issue now. Oh no.

This is so bad for the industry. This is a bigger issue then I thought

1 Like

Yup, the next thing we know, esk8’s will be banned from subways along with hoverboards.

1 Like

What brand BMS killed your pack?

The BesTech one we both have.

Ah - we have the same one? Damn.

I think it’s a mixed bag as long as fear doesn’t infect the entire industry. As the old saying goes, when there’s blood on the streets buy land. I think onloop developing a new BMS was dead smart and if he can instill trust and talk to its safety features he’ll be able to capitalize on all the issues and distrust there is with Bestech and other BMS vendors.

My theory

I talked to a V2 owner and got some info on the battery charger.

They have a charger supplying 50.4v~ now. It used to be 43.2v around.

The standard battery is using a 12s1p LiFePO4 battery pack. The charge voltage is 43.2v.

If the BMS does not cut the voltage off correctly, the cells will be overcharged and this will lead to damaged cells and venting.

1 Like

Why would they use a higher voltage charger? Is this a fast charging thing?

Higher voltage so you can use the same charger for the 12S LiFePO4 battery and the speculated 12s2p Li-ion pack(higher voltage).

To decrease charging time, you usually increase amperage.

I’ve had no issues with mine yet. What happened to yours? Did it short out?

This thread is getting a bit off topic but here is what happened.

There is an action item for us DIY builders after this announcement; find a non-conducive and fire-retardant compound to coat the inside of our enclosures. Does anyone know what Boosted uses?

1 Like