OFFICIAL WARNING: Boosted Boards 2.0 Battery Fires

This isn’t a coating, but this is probably what Boosted uses or something like it.

http://www.rtpcompany.com/products/flame-retardant/

1 Like

Yeah I think you are right. Some plastics are highly flammable as they are petroleum based.

1 Like

Surprised onloop hasnt dropped in a comment yet, but The Space Cell for the Raptor in its carbon fibre enclosure is protected and I havent had any issues with it. Solid and Safe.

Hey, at least they were engineered to vent and not completely explode. Pretty good design on Boosted’s part.

Couldn’t imagine having a cell explode while riding…

Wow… Didnt see that coming?

Called it. Looks like the extended range is significantly higher in voltage compared to the standard range battery.

Since a lot of us se ABS enclosures:

“ABS is flammable when it is exposed to high temperatures, such as a wood fire. It will melt then boil, at which point the vapors burst into intense, hot flames.” from wikipedia entry on ABS

Yikes! :sweat:

What do you think Boosted used as a material for their flame retardant enclosures?

1 Like

They are using fire retardant moldable plastic. The enclosure is made out of it. Prevents a fire from thermal runaway.

tip : wen i see some one wit a note 7 and a boosted board v2 JUST RUN!!!

1 Like

I don’t get how a li-ion cell even vents or blows up, unless they are poorly manufactured. I looked at the spec sheet for the LG HE2 cell, and the test results are outstanding. Charged to 3x the max voltage, no fire or explosion, crushed horizontally and vertically, no fire or explosion. They have a list of 15 or so tests and not a single one cause a fire or explosion… So how does a li-ion cell even do this?

1 Like

can you link me to the results where they actually overcharged to 12V? That should be an interesting read.

Page 7 of 9, under 4.5 Safety Specification. It doesn’t give any details, which is disappointing, but still…

I think this means they charged with a current 3 times the normal max charging current. Endvoltage was still 4.2V - not the other way around.

The US Military or something did an over voltage test with A123 cells and after a few charge cycles, the cells failed to hold capacity. They didn’t drain the cells though. Probably would starting venting if used.

ohhh, so they charged a cell with a 12v charger to 4.2. That makes sense, but it also says its an over charge test, which is what confused me. The language is not the best either in the description of the test. Either way, they did quite a few tests which resulted in no fires or explosions, which I found to be quite impressive. A lipo under the same tests would not be a pretty result.

no they charged with a 4.2v charger at 12A (4A being the max charge current).

“This short circuit was caused by water entering the pack due to a quality control issue in two areas of the manufacturing process”

So the problem was user riding in wet conditions I assume? I understand that they are advertised to be able to, but personally I would never just because of my OCD natural, it would be hard to clean off after a wet ride

It’s great to see how Boosted is on top of their quality control problems and open to the public. Boosted is still advising users to not ride the boards and not to charge it though

1 Like