Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Yup just bought the boss level spot welder right now

thanks man iā€™m useless lol

So got another question for you chaps. my board is pretty jerky and the brake locks on after you engage it. would this be an esc issue or a remote?

Give us your parts list. If youā€™re using a VESC then a picture of your settings so we can help. Page with motor Max/min ect. @dareno

1 Like

Iā€™m going dual for my build and the enclosure is very close to the motors.i either have to angle them down if i have enough clearance or have them above the enclosure. how much clearance would i need in between the motors and the board, also in between the motors and enclosure?

My noob question :

Letā€™s say I want to use the following : 2x FOCBOX as ESC, itā€™s rated at 120A Peak Current Limit and 60A Continuous Current. 2x APS 6384S 170kv 4000W motor rated at 80A max.

Two hypothetical battery configs (based on Samsung 30Q) : config 1 : 12s4p - 60A peak, 12Ah config 2 : 12s6p - 90A peak, 18Ah

I donā€™t know/understand if there is a problem with this setup.

I thought there would be a problem, because the motor would want more current than the ESC can safely provide (maybe I could limit that with software but would lose in performanceā€¦) but someone told me the 60A limit was relative to the battery (like config 2 would be bad in my exampleā€¦?)

Then I read that blog post and it said ā€œyou need to look at the current rating (maximum AMPS) and make sure your motor draw will not exceed thatā€

Iā€™ve read lot of information but english isnā€™t my first language and ā€œelectricityā€ isnā€™t my favorite domain.

Thanks for reading

1 Like

thanks man, so its most likely an esc issue then. what iā€™ve done is take an over priced chinese carbon board(you know the one,it has the orange dot in the middle, retails for 1800 bucks aus) and try to improve it. I didnt pay that btw, a guy i know has an online store (sk8booster.com) and he bought one direct from china to test and found it seriously lacking so couldnā€™t in all good conscience sell it on his site. Good call Jesse from Sk8Booster!! It looks so good but mine was really badly set up, over tight belts, wiring was all over the place. Every time i turned a corner the right side esc would come unplugged from the motor and scare the shit out of me. i bought it to use the deck and trucks as the deck is full carbon and the enclosure is big enough to accommodate a 12s 3p or a 10s 4p and then it turned into something else;
so far Iā€™ve dropped the trucks through the deck, moved the motors from underneath to the rear and re positioned the motor mounts to slacken up the belts. the thing is 100% better but still some issues with the electronics, namely this jerky control and brake issue, to be honest I should probably scrap the lot and start again but these things are out there selling for evolve money and people are getting ripped so i thought that while really enjoying myself messing around with it ,i might be able to help anyone who has dropped silly money on a board that really only warrants $500 to achieve a product that works. Iā€™ll put a thread up once its sorted with the full redesign but in the mean time i will be hassling you lovely experts to help me get there.

While asking advice about problems with setup you should also include a screen shot of settingsā€¦

Example taken from another post (actual screen may differ slightly i.e. ā€œvesc-toolā€, ā€œackmaniacā€) ā€¦ image

since you are doing dual you would actually cut the battery max in half so you could do 30a or 35a. I have been told and read that you can go to 40a each for the 30Q but to be say stay around 30A or 35A. I think you would be ok with the motors but you could always set the max on the vesc to 60a which is the default. You will probably need to make your max erpm 60,000

I have this drive set (itā€™s not realy good) and want to change the belt length.

All I know is that it is 15mm wide and 225mm long but what other spec I need to know (and what does this belt have) to match the teeth rating of the pulleys of the kit?

Is it something with the 5M or so?

3mm is the tooth spacing/pitch

225-3m-15

1 Like

How did you see that, the 5M?

So that means I need a belt with tooth spacing of 5mm?

@Bor.inc I stand corrected its 3m scroll down link page to the belt image

ā€œHTD 225-3Mā€ printed on belt

1 Like

I notice that when I move my board when itā€™s not turned on the motor will turn on my esc. will this be a problem when I have it on and Im going down hills or even just cruising?

It doesnĀ“t matter what your motors are rated (well mostly). You can setup everything in your focboxes. What battery you use will tell you how much power you have over your sytem. If you wanna use the 12s4p, with a dual setup, setup each Focbox to 30A Battery max. In your motor max you can use the 60A max as standard and rise or lower the amount as you want, to increase or degrease your motor performance. If the whole setup is too strong, lower the battery amps on each Focbox.

1 Like

Ok thanks that helped me understand, I was wondering if in case of dual setup I had to divide by 2 max Amps for the battery. So in case if want the ā€œfull powerā€ from both motors, I would need a 2x80 = 160amps continuous discharge current battery? (so 12s11p with Samsung30Qs??) But that would make more than the 60A max continuous current on each of the ESCs? Am I mixing things? still not 100% clear/understood.

1 Like

So many connectorsā€¦ This is the meepo battery. What connector is this?

1 Like

Solved. Meepo uses a 2-pin JST-RCY / BEC connector on charging side.

1 Like

do i need to change the send over can hz rate from the pre applied 500? i cannot get my motors to work together when fwd over can i get no firmware response.

So may be simple for some on here can anyone tell me if I need to change the settings a bit on my dual vesc with split servo connectors. Here are my settings.

At first I thought may be my problem was dropping signal on remote but I repositioned the receiver but still nothing what happens is when I get on and go it starts but suddenly it stops and the motors tighten up but on the bench test it runs normally may be my wieght is too much for the amp draw. As I also have a bms that tops at 80amps. Any suggestions?