[Mars Rover 1] Never Summer Reaper | 83mm flywheels | Caliber 50 Trucks| Rout Supply Co. Ceramic Bearings | Dual 190kv Torqueboards 6355 | Ollin VESC | DiYES's 10s4p | Psychotiller Custom Enclosure

Thanks! :slight_smile: And youā€™re right, very similar to the Omen Sugar deck!

Weather strip works great for the enclosure. Chaka VESC might be a different size depending on heatshrink, setup, etc. Our VESC w/ caps are 120mm long, 42mm wide, 22mm height.

1 Like

Got my shipping notice from @torqueboards! Ordered Sunday and expected Friday. So far great experience with diy. Thanks man

Thanks to some help and support from @treenutter Iā€™ve completed my gt2b remote mod!

He recommended this enclosure mod:

Both arrived yesterday and Iā€™ve got it swapped over and powered on.

The fit is great. No rattle, usb looks clean and sits solid, the trigger has full motion, ambidextrous, pocketable. It has a rough texture. My only complaint is how open the inside is around the trigger, but it shouldnā€™t be a problem.

I failed to take pictures of most of the process, I have to try to remember to document the board build better.

I had my first ever solder on the battery leads. Not too messy. Too much solder

4 Likes

Starting to play with some graphics ideas for the top. Looks like enclosure will probably consume the bottom so I am still looking into bottom graphics and vehicle vinyl that works for abs. What do you guys think of my quick rough draft for the top? Only about 15 minutes into this so far but I am liking it.

Just a simple decal in the middle and the rest is grip tape design. Maybe some colored grip tape on the flares at the back.

5 Likes

That looks sweet :slight_smile:

Anyone have a good source for clear grip tape? Hard to tell looking online how clear or rough or good they are.

Thanks @torqueboards. Canā€™t wait for the mail to come tomorrow. Just waiting on ollin vesc after that cough mail it dude cough

Tomorrowā€™s the day of truth if this deck will be too small/too complex or not.

Has anyone tried boiling water to make minor bends in ABS? I googled the molding temp for ABS and the article said 212ā€¦ the same temperature as boiling water. I think I really only need to worry about the corners and some weather stripping should be able to contour to the rest (i hope). @sl33py thoughts?

I donā€™t think 212 will be hot enough. It might be soft and slightly pliable, but not moldable would be my guess. Iā€™d ask @psychotiller - heā€™s the expert! I know Kydex is around 300 Fā€¦

quick google search looks like 235-250 might be ā€œslumpā€ stage so lower temp than kydex for sure. Iā€™d see what psychotiller says and otherwise give it a test.

My plan with the heat gun was to heat one section at a time, like a corner, until it starts to sag. Then position it on the board thatā€™s marked with tape or something for quick placement. Take a spatula or piece of wood or some found tool to mash the corner into the contour and hold until it cools. Maybe some thin cloth to protect the deck. Ive never done this, thatā€™s just how Iā€™m trying to envision the process going. I want to avoid applying heat directly to the deck, I have no idea how the composite layer would react. Otherwise Iā€™d heat while its in place.

One way Iā€™m looking at it is that my battery comes with an enclosure. So its basically freeā€¦ so its okay to mess it upā€¦ for scienceā€¦ I really like this deck haha. Not married to it though.

Any experienced advice from @psychotiller would be much appreciated!

iā€™d use some foam to apply pressure evenly vs wood or spatula while cooling. Should press into contours that way better.

GL!

1 Like

The problem with that process is you will end up RE-heating the areas youā€™ve already shaped. Messing up any work you may have completed.

I got mine from eBay here in the UK, but Iā€™m sure a skate shop in the US will have an eBay shop, have a look :slight_smile:

@Spek - There are some which you can spray on. Clear Grip though wears out quickly. Itā€™s also never truly 100% clear :cry:

Agreed, my tape is about 95% clear, does a good job though, pretty grippy :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013UKNVLG/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472315325&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=clear+longboard+grip+tape&dpPl=1&dpID=51FhF8lTarL&ref=plSrch

Their marketing suggests this performs like normal tape. Iā€™m gonna give it a try.

be careful with vicious. I have it on my board and it has torn my skin to no end. it will also ruin anything it scrapes against.

Iā€™m not completely done cleaning this up but Iā€™m exploring somehow doing a full color top graphic.

I pulled the image from a recent poster design that was published by NASA for mars mission recruiting. http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/resources/mars-posters-explorers-wanted/

Anyway, I loved the image so I transformed it a bit to fit a deck. If anyone knows a solid method of doing a full graphic with very clear grip tape on it, Id love to hear it. I might be able to do the image under some fiberglass but the reaper deck is already fiberglassed on top and adding more doesnā€™t seem like the best plan. I might look into printing on a perforated window film and clear grip tape on top of that. Perforated so that the gripā€™s adhesive would adhere to some of the deck, not just adhered to a sticker.

1 Like

its still the best griptape, using it on all my boards. I just choose my stance and my feet will be in the same spot, even after a whole battery! Lately Im carving so hard that my rear breaks loose on nearly every turn, love playing with the grip of the wheels - dont think I could do that with any other griptape on a fairly flat board like the vanguard! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I totally agree itā€™s the best! It can have negative side effects though.

Trucks and wheels arrived today! I swapped reaper out for a Rayne Killswitch Top Mount.

No wheel bite with only a tiny shock pad. My drive train arrived so I threw a motor on and no motor bite either. The motors will be close to the enclosure but should be a near exact fit. Feeling much less stressed over dealing with the grooves on that reaper deck. Iā€™ll be commuting on this while longing for a battery for the next few weeks. Just telling myself itā€™s workout and good practice

1 Like