[Mars Rover 1] Never Summer Reaper | 83mm flywheels | Caliber 50 Trucks| Rout Supply Co. Ceramic Bearings | Dual 190kv Torqueboards 6355 | Ollin VESC | DiYES's 10s4p | Psychotiller Custom Enclosure

I’m having some trouble setting up my drive train. Abec 11 83mm flywheels with diyes’s wheel pulley doesn’t seem to line up once through the wheel. The photo shows the bolts are equally too narrow. They are threaded through the holes on the outer ring on the other side. Am I missing something?

@torqueboards?

1 Like

@Spek For ABEC11 Flywheels specifically, you only need 3 bolts. Technically, you only need 3 bolts in total. 6 bolts is overkill and only doable on the Clone Flywheels. So your pretty much good there.

How’s it look on the front? Are you just saying it doesn’t have enough room? Typically, most people don’t use ABEC 11 if it’s too short. I can probably spend you some longer ones.

1 Like

Perfect with 3. Having 6 included made me question everything.

Is it advised to pad the truck/mount metal on metal connection with anything?

1 Like

If the truck clamp isn’t tight enough around the truck hanger. I’d add a piece of heatshrink such as the picture below. The truck clamp bolt I usually position outward from the center of the deck.

2 Likes

Thank you looks like I’m on track now. Just doing some test fitting on the deck. I’ll post some pictures when it’s set up

Oh yeah, switched back to the NS reaper. Rayne was too flexo, about 1 inch bend. Orange is just some electrical tape to protect from scratches.

I might rear mount the motors, I’ll decide when the enclosure arrives.

4 Likes

The bolts are making it about halfway through the threaded holes on the wheel pulley. A little longer would probably be good.

I have the same wheel pulley with three screws on clones and never had a problem. Loc-tight the crap out of them. Board I made for my wife with @torqueboards wheel pulley and 12s3p battery…freakin hate those wheels, but she wanted pink…

I’ve also done the heat gun trick on my abs enclosures a couple times…bent corners down to match concave. Works OK, I wouldn’t try for any aggressive bends and as @psychotiller said watch the temp because it will bubble if you leave it in one spot too long. I want to say I had my temps around 320ish on the gun, but my gun is kinda crappy, so maybe less. I’d also recommend @psychotiller if you want a custom abs enclosure.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll first consider a thick weather strip. If that’s not enough to fill the gaps I’ll try rubber washers and molding sugru into the gap. If that’s not feasible I’ll bend with heat. If I break it I’ll go custom or look for something else.

Also for anyone interested, sugru is a pretty cool moldable silicon glue that is heat over and cold resistant, flexible, molds like play dough and cures into silicon rubber. Also insulates electricity and dampens vibration. Its not cheap but I could see a ton of uses in eboards. I’ll probably use it to secure and insulate my plugs into the Vesc and possibly mount the vescs and battery to the deck. And I might use it to make a perfect seal to my enclosure, reinforced with rubber washers or some kind of spacers on the enclosure bolts. I plan to put wax or something deckside so it will only bond to the enclosure. We’ll see.

I use the crap out of Sugru, stuff is great, hate the smell though. Don’t really need Sugru to connect phase wires to VESC, assuming you have 5.5mm billet connectors. Heat shrink and/or hot glue will be enough and its a lot easier to remove if you need to replace the VESC or motor. A lot of guys (myself included) use Velcro to secure VESC to enclosure…holds really well and provides some vibration protection.

I use this to seal the enlousure edges. Highly recommend. Great adhesive, choice of single or double strip, can screw through it without binding screw or coming unstuck.

2 Likes

I really have to get my enclosure to evaluate how big of a gap I’ll have to seal. If its 1 inch or less I’ll try this stuff since it’s so damn thick http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=20221&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3s6-BRC3kKL_86XDvq4BEiQAAUqtZ7Qd9bRZvGetzX0GwRoTcvBMBpU__BhwxUIMGsO7-goaAqpb8P8HAQ

Looks good. using sugru to fill around the wheel wells, etc was a good idea too. That’s what’s great about DIY…coming up with cool and unique ideas and solutions. Can’t wait to see your graphics laid down.

1 Like

Recieved my 10s4p battery. Thanks @torqueboards! Looks pretty solid.

I also recieved my demon podium helmet and took off the visor. I picked up a BE headwear Bluetooth on sale for $17 for my helmet. I wouldn’t pay the $50 msrp but they’re worth the 17. The wire tucks nicely away and they allow ambient noise in which is a must for me.

Now I’m just waiting on my vescs and enclosure!

5 Likes

Quick question. With a .75 inch max flex at the center of a deck (when gently hopping up and down), do you think I’d have problems using a single 26" long enclosure? The battery is 20" in length.

I just finished jumping on a board between two chairs in front of a tape measure and cell phone taking video from a tripod in the living room… good thing my wife went to bed.

1 Like

Made me laugh. Totally what i’d do too.

I think 1" (.75 = close enough) of flex repeatedly is a good way to break a long battery like space cell or similar. repeatedly flexing it will eventually break something. Likely solder joints. And a board in motion will flex more w/ loading than just jumping on it (thinking G’s vs simple impact).

You can try reinforcing the deck to further minimize flex. GF/CF. Or a segmented battery meant to flex?

1 Like

Won’t the battery reinforce it? Haha

Nice! I love my podium. Where did you get the BT speakers for so cheap?

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a board with a 30-32 inch wheelbase? Super rigid, preferably similar in riding style to the two decks mentioned above in the thread - NS reaper and rayne killswitch.

This reaper is plenty rigid but components are going to be tight. Taking measurements with the motors on isn’t promising. I don’t have my enclosure but @Torqueboards provided a detailed blueprint. If its too small it’ll be by an inch.

I actually have both decks. I exchanged the reaper at the local shop for killswitch which was 30 bucks more at $200. Then went home and found it online for $85. Bought it! Then took the first one back - he would only do in store credit so I took the reaper back home. Anyway. I can still exchange the reaper and annoy the local shop owner again.

Daddiesboardshop.com was having a labor day sale. They’re great!

1 Like

I was reading a helmet thread. Your comments are why I bought it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like