Making my electric longboard legal in Germany

I will do some more testing this evening. At the momenti am trying to figure out the efficiency of our motors. Because then i can add this to the calculation. Should mean that at a efficiency of 90%, 250 watts send to the motor would only be 225 watts on the shaft. So we can add 10% more power. But i can’t find excact figures for my SK3 6374 - 192kv or Enertion 6355.

I’d just go with the theoretical 250W since you will never be able to cover every available setup we have. Some have hub motors, some a tighter belt than others. Did you see this: http://rideside.at/blog/2016/sind-e-scooter-fur-die-strase-zugelassen/ Apparently not even escooters are allowed on German streets?

I think there is no brushless motor which achieves more than 95% efficency. Maybe somebody has detailed number for our kind of motors.

I also read that there is a scooter manufactor in Germany who created a commitee for a new law for light electric vehicles. https://www.my-egret.com/de/content/wo-darf-ich-meinen-egret-roller-fahren-32 Hopefully he can achieve something.

1 Like

@Maxid Yes in the default configuration only segways and e-bikes are allowed here ^^

@Ackmaniac You plan to limit the motor to 250W max or are u going for the in average on an typical trip thing? … I think the average would be 250W on 0° climb … so as an non universal approach (different for every board and person{weight / motor / voltage}) you could measure at what rpm your motor uses 250W and limit the rpm, this would also solve your rpm problem? Yes thats no solution for your efficiency question … i have no idea what difference 5% make and if the 5% more make sense on a 25km/h limit.

I calculate with a efficiency of 90% for now. Means 250 Watt / 0,9 eficiency = 277,77 Watt. And you really can feel the difference when you go up a hill between 277 and 250.

Problems i have at the moment is the duty cycle control of the speed in the BLDC mode. In FOC the speed mode is current control. I tried to soften it already but i am not happy with the result. Because it feels good when you drive in a staight line. But when you carve it brakes and gives power all the time which doesn’t feel good. I softened that already but it is still not perfect. So i will try to change the BLDC control of the speed to current control instead of duty cycle. But not sure if i can achieve the results i want.

Beside the technical issues I would like to come back to the legal part.

I think none of us has the legal background, which is needed to get this clarified. If it would be only a technical issue, we would already have several commercial boards available which are be compliant to EU laws.

So I suggest to collect money to fund professional consulting from a lawyer so that the community knows exactly what we need to do to leaglise our boards. This could speed up the process. If we just wait until our politicians do something we will wait forever.

We don"t have a lobby in Germany. But with money we could change this.

Currently I don"t know how we could organise this. Also I don"t know a consulting company which could guide us through the law jungle and do the lobby work.

Successful lobbying is $$$$$$ … nothing for individuals :smiley: :’(

I think we researched what we could (without prof. help). Let’s keep the illusion that our interpretation of the law is correct :wink: I expect it’s enough to convince the critical policemen that it’s likely legal.

You can buy boards in germany … they just won’t tell you that they are not legal on public roads and the normal buyer will not research if it is … so maybe the problem for the manufacturers is not big enough to make compliant editions for problematic countries. So that there are no legal ones must not mean that it is not legally possible.

I managed to get the current control in BLDC mode running for speed control. And i can tell you that it is so smooth. So much better than duty cycle. Sometimes you can’t tell if the motor assists or your costing. Only the android app that i wrote to see the live statistics tells me the truth. After some more testing I need to tell vedder about that. Can’t imagine a reason why this shouldn’t be adopted for speed control in BLDC. And in current control it is very easy to switch off the power of the motor and coast when you go slightly faster than the speed control allows. Because i don’t want breaking when I carve.

BTW, as i wrote earlier, a company tries already to change the law for light electric vehicles in the EU. And they hope to have a result by the end of the year. They also replied to a mail i wrote them and told that it is still in progress and that they are optimistic. https://www.my-egret.com/de/content/wo-darf-ich-meinen-egret-roller-fahren-32

4 Likes

Related: http://www.zeit.de/hamburg/politik-wirtschaft/2015-08/faltbare-elektro-roller-markteinfuehrung-hamburg-buerokratie-huerden

I hope that this workgroup in brussels doesn´t only fight for their scooters to be classified als “PLEVs” but electric vehicles of any kind (electric skateboards, hoverboards (hate them btw), scooters…)

1 Like

This is the link to the DIN working group: http://www.din.de/de/mitwirken/normenausschuesse/nasport/europaeische-gremien/wdc-grem:din21:191006031

A preview of the DIN could be available here (when released for public): http://www.din.de/de/mitwirken/normenausschuesse/nasport/entwuerfe/74966!search-na?state=H4sIAAAAAAAAAE2LsQrCMBRFf0XunKGu2SqKuEhBncThNXlGMTX6XjKU0n83S8Htnns4E6hPBw_7LjEaUNFAPW8pl2H5fHod5Q_O44cXvJPjrLDTbPB4Zu1YOgpVrxuDb2EZYQEDKZGV85JpkrqvaC-nfbvZrTyrw80gCA_KkV21zfwDYnqN6ZwAAAA&pageNum=0

specific DIN project site (did someone already link this?) http://www.din.de/de/mitwirken/normenausschuesse/nasport/projekte/wdc-proj:din21:191486964 Maybe the specific DIN contact person could give some information.

First I was bit irritated about “nicht für den öffentlichen Straßenverkehr…” but the specific DIN project is for “Nicht-Typ zugelassene leicht motorisierte Fahrzeuge für den Transport von Personen und Gütern und damit verbundene Einrichtungen - Persönliche leichte Elektrofahrzeuge (PLEV) - Sicherheitstechnische Anforderungen und Prüfverfahren”. - sounds good. but limeted to 25km/h.

1 Like

Hey there I guess you read a lot about the law. What would happen if I build an eboard limited to 4 or 6 km/h? Would it be street legal? Because there are also those kid cars with e motor …

1 Like

Any news regarding your project?

I would be interested in your BLCD settings. Could you share them with us?

I would be also interested in which remote control you use? I tested a wireless Nunchuck with cruise control, but had problems with outages. Currently I have a nano remote 2,4ghz, but no cruise control.

A board limited to 6km would be legal, it doesn’t count as KFZ.

I would also be interested in the firmware and would like to try this.

I will create a firmware and vesc-tool mod once Vesc-tool (new Bldc-tool) is out. The problem is that it seems that even with that modification it is not allowed. If you reduce the max speed to 6 km/h than it could be allowed. Better than nothing. At least you have breaks. (to have a reason why you have motors)

And you can cheat by changing the mode by some other device and every time you switch the board off on it is back to 6 km/h.

I hope that the guys from the scooter company can achieve law changes till next summer.

BTW: would it be allowed to have a board which provides multiple modes as long as you run it on the streets in the legal mode? Than that would be the solution.

1 Like

You cannot make a legal Skateboard that could ride more than 6km/h and limit the speed to 6km/h. This is because you could probably drive faster and no one can Control it. Just when the Skateboard it self cannot drive faster than 6km/h (mechanical not Software limit) it would be allowed. Thats how it is! E. G. You could reduce the voltage / Gear ratio that it can only drive max 6kmh.

why? Up 6km/h with motor only and up to 25km when you push to accelerate should be ok. I would like to try that and test how the police react.

1 Like

my experience here at the wonderful Saarland (South West Germany if you don´t know - study some maps…Jesus…:monkey:):

-rushing at the bike path with about 32km/h next to a main street, two policemen saw me and one like hit the other and was like “dude, look at that!!” - i just kept going and nothing else happend :smiley:

-the other time was down a pedestrial/bike way down at the Saar (our local beautiful river - you still didn´t look at a map, don´t you?), a police woman stopped my friend on my board and was like: “no you can´t drive that here, how fast does that go?” -hmm about 20km/h?! “that´s too fast, you can´t drive that without a moped license! so get off!” and he had to grab it and walk a few blocs away from that strage ladywithoutaplan :smiley:

3 Likes

Interesting. Moped (A1) license for a 4-wheel vehicle :slight_smile: I´m sure that was her first incident with an esk8 so far.

seemed so, she was like “better i say something stupid then say nothing and blaming myself” :monkey:

1 Like

I don’t know if this can help in any way, but i was checking how’s the esk8 situation in Italy, and found some interesting things. 1st: normal skateboards seem to be legal in private zones only, not even bike lanes. The same goes for roller skates and non motorized scooters. 2nd: bikes can go up to 25 km/h with a motor helping you, as expected 3rd, the most interesting: Segway somehow managed to get a law just for themselves: you can use those up to 6km/h on sidewalks and 20 km/h on bike lanes, that’s because they don’t need a push (so they are not “gait accelerators”, that’s the word they use, i think) and they’re not a bike or a moped. So, there’s officially nothing different between a segway and an esk8, since they don’t seem to count the number of wheels to define the type of vehicle.