[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

hi guys. Tiago from Portugal. living in toronto now. i use to surfing in portugal and since i moved to canada i fall in love with snowboarding right away. but the snow only last 3 months so im planning to build an electric skateboard for daily commute to work and get the same freedom sensation when im riding my snowboard. here we have beautiful parks in the city with short cuts to get aroud the city. perfect for an electric skateboard. so i’m newbie when speaking about electronics, thats gonna be the hardest part for me. if you guys do mind i would love to place some questions about my first build. and sorry about my English im still learning

3 Likes

ES-member here, decided to join esk8 as well. I am from Helsinki, Finland and really waiting for the winter to end!

My first build was Helectric-board, with Alien Drive Systems and Alien Power Systems-components. E-boards are really new thing in Finland so my board was featured in the biggest news paper in Finland :sunglasses: Check website for more http://www.pimio.fi/helectric/

My next build is going to be a real community built board. I have really small apartment, no skills other than solderin and no access to workshop so I have to rely on you guys :wink: I have one vesc from @onloop, one vesc from @chaka, dual hub motors from Lever (Carvon hub motors) and now im looking for 12S pack which I may buy from @torqueboards and then I need enclosure that Im thinking of buying from @psychotiller or @RunPlayBack if they have something that could fit the huge 12S pack.

Really looking for the year 2016 and all the progress that this community can make! Maybe we see E-boarding in next X-games?

Cheers! -Haimindo

Welcome @Haimindo! @torqueboards and I both have enclosures for 12s bricks. If you want something special just let me know what you need and I’ll make it for you.

1 Like

I don’t have enclosures :frowning: only psychotiller does… Not for 12s at least.

Hello from Washington, DC! I’m in the middle of planning my first build. Originally, I was looking at buying a commercially available board to help with my 2.5 mile commute to work, but after speaking to a co-worker who built his own board, he convinced me that it’s completely doable. After reading through the forums here and on endless-sphere for the past 2 months, now I’m at least equally motivated by building my board as I am about having a board to commute on. I’ve already been dreaming up what my next build will be even though I haven’t even started my first.

Here’s an outline of what my current build will look like:

• Globe Maiden Deck. H/t to laurnts. I saw his build, and thought the deck was gorgeous.
  • Enertion Space Cell (ordered)
  • 2 VESCs w/ heatsinks from @chaka (ordered)
  • 2 hub motors from Hummie (ordered). Really looking forward to sharing how the motors work with everyone
  • GT2B remote, put inside a bad wolf printed case (our library has public access to 3D printers)
  • Trucks and wheels TBD.
  • Enclosure TBD, but eyeing one of @psychotiller’s enclosures. I saw this one posted. It looks like it’s 475mm x146mm x 30mm – just enough for a Space Cell and maybe 2 VESCs if they were rotated 90 degrees.

Looking forward to sharing and participating!

1 Like

Welcome!

I’m looking forward to seeing how hummie’s hub motors turn out too- I’ve got a pair coming

For trucks, I’d talk to @Hummie because I know some trucks need modification to work with his hub motors. It just comes down to how much threading is on the hanger.

The space cell and VESC is a really solid combo as well :smile: ;especially with one of @psychotiller or @RunPlayBack’s enclosures. They are both vacuum formed ABS.

Welcome! That enclosure was made custom for someone but I do still have the mold. I’d be happy to make you one when you decide on your parts

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

@psychotiller, yes, I’d definitely be interested. The parts going into the enclosure would be the Space Cell and 2 VESCs. Do you know the original intent of the enclosure?

From what I know of the size of the VESCs, it seems that I might be able to put them side-by-side, width-wise, right next to the Space Cell. That would be 380mm for the Space Cell and 80mm for the two VESCs. That’s 440mm, leaving about 15mm of play… not a lot it play it would seem. :smile:

My VESCs and Space Cell haven’t arrived yet, so I can’t confirm that my estimates are correct. If the original intent wasn’t for a Space Cell and 2 VESCs, I might just wait until I receive my parts so that I can mock how much space I need inside.

This is the best one for what you are trying to do: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172093580772?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It perfectly houses the space cell and two vesc’s with their capacitors layed out in line with the battery. The shape on the ends gives you plenty of space to put switches, charge plugs, voltage monitorsor what ever else you come up with.

Greetings fellow eboard makers! :slight_smile: I’m Jay, currently living in Toronto. I just joined today, first post. I have a few posts on endless sphere as “smokee”. I am now building a 3 wheel eMTB beast that will be powered by an 80mm 70kv motor, chain driving a pocket bike wheel.

This is not my first 3 wheel. I built a hub motor powered board a couple years ago. I rode it for a couple days, then it went to the guy I built it for. Here is a video cut from the footage of those test rides- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitE63i37xA

I will start a proper build thread soon. Cheers

4 Likes

Just curious why three wheels?

Short answer… it is an experiment in high speed stability. The hub motor board I built felt more stable the faster you went and with the larger pneumatic wheels, most pot holes, streetcar tracks and grass/gravel were a non issue.

Hello,

My name is Mathieu, I’m a student Engineering in Ghent, Belgium. To get to school everyday i wanted to try something different. I decided to build an E-board.

2 Likes

Hello! I’ve been interested in electric skateboards since I first read about them around 2 or 3 years ago but they’re not cheap which has meant that, until recently, I simply couldn’t afford one. Now that I can, I’m carefully weighing up my options. All of the “out-of-the-box” products I’ve looked into so far are either not powerful enough to carry me, too bulky, or made overseas which means I will have to pay extra for shipping/import duty etc. Living in England also means lots of rain, which most boards don’t seem able to cope with very well. Self-building may be the way forward for me, or perhaps not. I’m here to find out.

1 Like

Welcome, feel free to ask anyone if you need any help or making decisions. Which part of England, bruv?

good ! this person is more interested in customer living in england and surrounding cities . you can pm him via facebook messenger and he will certainly be happy to answer any of your inquiries .

http://aliendrivesystems.com/

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: that’s very kind of you. I’m in Southampton.

Thank you. I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

whisper ~ "hail hydra "

1 Like

Michael in Vegas

Joined up today.

These are the first two I built:

40x10 black free ride board with blue LEDs, red rear light and headlight.

33x10 White kick tail with white LEDs, red rear tail light and headlights

This was a photo taken in The Summer of 2015 on a night ride from Venice beach to Santa Monica, California.

Look for my other post abt the “Back to the Future” I created with led accents. :metal:t2::zap:

3 Likes