[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Welcome, those boards are totally vegas style :slight_smile: nice work ! Do you have a picture from the bottom side?

White

3 Likes

Black

3 Likes

Back to the Future Board

6 Likes

Hello Elkick, I just stumbled across this kinda old thread, and I am reallly impressed by your enclosure. It seems simple and sufficient. Could you tell me a little bit about how you made it? :smiley: (Hopefully you’re still around :grinning:)

Yeah, still around - had just to remember which one I posted here. :smile: It’s a very simple box actually, it’s made with 5 layers of glass filament (160g) and epoxy (colored black).

Take the measurement you require (and cut the glass filament +2cm), construct a carton box, fix the box to the deck, cover the box and the surroundings of it with adhesive film, paint it with a wax substance (don’t know that term in English), apply epoxy, first layer of glass filament, epoxy again and so on. Let it dry for 24h, take it off and cut the edges, drill some holes and that’s it. :slight_smile:

Video

4 Likes

lol. How do you make the honks? sounds great

Just like I did the lights :bulb: Same with a horn.

The music is dank as fuck

1 Like

Sounds cool, and I think that glass filament is exactly what I’ve been looking for, I’m definitely going to work on that and will post some pics when done. Should work better than lunch boxes from Ikea :stuck_out_tongue:

I just have one problem though, I have no idea what “glass filament” is and where to get it. Google isn’t really helping (unless glass filament is some kind of adhesive… wait… is it?). If you know where to get it, could you drop off a purchase link? :smiley:

Could it be fiberglass?

It’s fiberglass that he’s talking abt…I personally use plexiglass and find a pen tray and make a hinge and a lock and that’s the box just gotta find the right size tray and you are set.

Zen before the night ride

so … whats that magic smoke for ?

Hi, I am starting to build my second eboard. The first one went up in flames - I think it was an ESC issue.

I have come here for your help to ensure a successful second build.

I am documenting my progress here: http://www.wiehan.co.za/projects/eboard.htm

Looking forward to your comments and help.

Cheers!

Gotta get a little Zen riding in Las Vegas in the middle of the night #Namaste :metal:t2:

Love that Globe The Maiden Deck! Had I not went with the ThreeSix that one was my second choice shape wise. Was gonna have it made in aluminum but very happy with what I ended up with. Look forward to seen your build.

I have 2 enclosures that should fit the 12s pack. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for creating this awesome spot. Really appreciate the knowledge base you guys have collected here.

Im from San Jose Ca. I am 29 working for the tech industry. I have no riding experience and recently took up KiteSurfing. I realized i needed to work on my board skills and thus decided to pick up longboarding. Browsing the web led me to discover electric skateboard, i wasnt really impressed by the commercial options such as the boosted boards (low range) and thought there must be better options available, which led me to this forum. I am glad to be here and attempting my first DIY skateboard.

I have a Sector 9 Budro 38 that i plan on turning into an electric skateboard. The main challenges and goals id like to achieve with my build are as follows:

1. I am 210lbs and would probably have a backpack on with a laptop so Im on the heavier side
  2. I will be mainly using this board as a commuter board and would ideally like around 18miles+/29km+ range per charge
  3. My commute does not have huge hills, maybe 20% of the distance i travel has 20% incline.
  4. Having the ability to go 20mph/45kmh would be awsome
  5. I would like to keep the cost sub 1000 USD. My reasoning for this is that the Evolve bamboo street board that has very similar specs costs around 1000USD at the moment. I am currently fighting the temptation to buy that because a part of me also wants to do this on my own, learn and be able to eventually contribute, but i need to justify that and cost seems to be the likely place to target. I read @onloop 's excellent post on false economy and im trying not to fall into that trap. I wonder if my logic is fair here.

So thats what im going for. Some of my favorite builds on this forum have been @RunPlayBack 's builds with the CarvOn Hub Motors.
@treenutter 's The Village Build. @laurnts 's LACR Build

Props Guys. Very professional looking builds.

My current plan of attack has been to go for a Single Drive since its cheaper and itll be easier to fall into my budget range with this.

I was looking at the CarvOn Hub Single Drive Motor since its at a reasonable price. However the comment regarding 220lbs being the limit gives me reason for concern and pause. Since i am 210lbs with a backpack and i would like to be able to go up a 20% incline i wonder if i will be stressing the motor for this drive.

Then the other option now is the Enertion Motor Kits. Slightly more pricier than the CarvOn but no info regarding the weight limit. I am eyeing the r-spec pro with the 6355 motor since its cheap but worry about weight limitations again so then looking at the pro+ which is more expensive but with the 6374.

So current pick of the motor is http://www.enertionboards.com/diy-electric-skateboard-kits/single-motor-mount-pro-kit-plus/

Price: USD404

For the battery the 10s SpaceCell from Enertion looks dope, Low profile and includes the battery management circuitry and has a display. http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/space-cell-pro3-electric-skateboard-battery/ Price: USD345

For the VESC i was looking at the Vedder VESC’s http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/vedder-s-speed-controller Price: USD165 But i guess i could cut price by getting the VESC from Enertion too which currently costs USD104. Not sure what the tradeoff’s are. So would appreciate the input :smile:

As for the controller i was thinking of getting the one from TorqueBoard for USD50 product/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/

Not counting the enclosure, the total price comes up to around USD903, which is awfully close to the Evolve Bamboo Series boards. Maybe i do not have enough knowledge yet as to what i am giving up/gaining by either option.

Also, im sure i could optimize my current build a lot more to get the performance i need and i might be going overkill with my choices. I just dont have the knowledge base yet to know where i can focus on to optimize.

Your help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes