Evolve Skateboards - New Board - GT Carbon!

Hi Owen, Do you work for evolve?

anyway… the truth is I really love what evolve are doing, I look up to what Jeff has done & it inspires me to grow & build a legit brand & business just like he has… I have got a lot of catching up to do though! Evolve is proably 100X bigger than enertion in terms of sales & revenue. I’m just a small guy!

I do know how hard Jeff has had to work to get his business where it is today… I love that he is about to release a new model… I haven’t been this excited in a while, it will fuel my passion even further to make the best electric skateboards I can from my little garage… & I do love a good challenge.

So YES, in many ways I am trying to emulate what Jeff is doing, but I am also walking my own path… I am probably more focussed on the community & educating people about how to build their own esk8… Jeff has not taken that direction.

& I think If you asked Jeff honestly what he thinks about enertion (me) so far, I think he would admit that I am doing a good job… Take his new product release as an example, a dual drive esk8 with brushless outrunners… If he thought what I was doing is shit why would he do it too? I am sure his new deck will be awesome & it will likely slow down the Raptor sales… & I dare say Raptor sales has probably slowed down Evolve sales a tad. I will need to get smarter & I will need to hone my business acumen… it’s very exciting.

Deep down we are all here because we love esk8! Hopefully, one day soon Jeff & I can have a beer and talk shop… I am sure we would get on very well.

Until then we will both be working tirelessly to make the best esk8 we can… Competition is great for innovation… & its great for the consumer.

So lets do it! Enertion VS Evolve! Aussie VS Aussie… Watch out world…We will show you what passion & drive can deliver! If anyone should be worried it should be BB

I am ready… is evolve :slight_smile:

4 Likes

my design is a physical expression of my own desires, this object was not created to please everyone, pleasing everyone is impossible.

I believe building an electric skateboards is an art form. We should refrain from criticising the aesthetic & start celebrating the act of creation.

This is why I focus on the community of builders first & foremost. The more people who learn how to create an esk8 the more amazing & varied forms of art will be created.

Bhahahaha Ha …dude joined the forum 5 hours ago…welcome Owen, care to introduce yourself or do you just want write some fun play on words.

@OwenGrady This is a DIY community man, and Jason - like it/ him or not has promoted and informed the shit out of DIY and helped more people build a board without breaking the bank than evolve has customers.

Dude (Onloop) builds a base for you to sell to as well, and is starting to get to a level where he probably is pulling a good bit of your business, and making yourself look like an ass in his forum…is piss poor marketing for evolve.

• I assume you are an evolve guy - maybe make that clear rather than joining a forum you have never had anything to do with and trying to talk a little shit.

Also if you are going to play with words check your science … raptors still exists and are going strong…if you will recall in science…those Dino’s evolved and are now birds of prey.

Finally- it ain’t bout beauty- for most, it’s about the ride.

Way to make evolve look like douche waffles Put up or shut up

1 Like

Hi BrabRS, onloop & monkey32. Also anyone else who cares to know.

Do I work for evolve? No. But I’ll concede I like to think I’m not far from the group. For now though, just a very satisfied customer.

Am I team Evolve? Damn straight. Seemingly as much so as monkey32 is for team Enertion.

I have been lurking the forums for a long while yes, and at one stage considered going the DIY route… But I rode a bamboo street, and for me the deal was done. What they did with 350w makes me doubt the need for some of the silly numbers I hear thrown about. I am happy to pay a brand who know their stuff for a board I just want to ride, and I’m super excited for what comes next, even if it does have silly numbers attached. I more peruse this forum for interest and lately the fact that a search for evolve’s new board info brought me to this topic. As with every forum, I am entitled to comment my opinions, and wield my keyboard sword if the time requires. I found this topic to be that time.

@brabrs I have no specs to provide, sorry to spoil your hopes! Though I did fluke a chance to see some testing of the board a few months back, I can definitely say they haven’t taken baby steps with this one. Call the guys at the shop, you’ll hear even they are intimidated by what it can do, and they are all passionate electric skaters! I’m sure Jeff will show this when the time is right, but I guess that’s fine for you cause evolve clearly doesn’t excite you anyway.

@onloop Firstly, credit to your response. With previous statements, I will admit the vibe I was expecting was quite different to what you did actually say. You have done a huge job with the forum, and the positivity in your response I hope was genuine. I understand this is your forum, but you know evolve has a huge customer/fan base that are very passionate about the brand. Making public a mockery of their video where they take no shots at you, is interesting business tact. While I don’t know you, or really have a negative opinion of you personally, you are picking a fight with this video, and the evolve mob won’t like it. I’m merely pointing out that making a claim as such, and a video parody, hoping it results in a friendly chat and a beer… might not really add up to the positive relationship you intend. I’ve only met Jeff a handful of times and he is very protective of his work. If evolve is 100x bigger, I’d be careful claiming the chicken or the egg, because clearly he is doing something right. I do wish you luck with your raptor, hopefully it will be competitive to the market, but right now evolve is definitely the bigger fish.

Oh and monkey32, about that science lesson… Dinosaurs may have evolved into ‘birds of prey’, but apes evolved into today’s apex predators… See how those dinosaur teeth go against the human’s technological ability to kill anything. We are the modern apex predator & top of the food chain. Though by name, it seems you only got as far as the peeling bananas stage… Maybe next time, for now best keep big bird on Sesame Street :wink: I’d shut up, but class is still in session.

3 Likes

would have been better if you used some bleach to coat the wheels and did it on asphalt

This is my new project it will come also with the Vesc !!! So don’t waste your time and support me instead :joy:

8 Likes

Enertion is fine, actually quite similar to evolve in what Jason is trying to build. I’m pro- learn to build cool shit. This forum is about that.

Does Onloop push his product- you bet your ass, but this place is a service to many and information hole above and beyond anything else out there with the exception of ES.

@OwenGrady Some have evolved more than others its true. I am far from the most refined well developed individual. In complextion I may be a knuckle dragging, banana loving Goober and I’ll be the first to admit it. However to me I have always found it better to be a tinkering monkey, learning how things work , helping others learn and improving myself…I mean what’s the other option…a guy trolling forums aimed at helping those of us lacking means but wanting to ride?

But yea, you keep doing you man. I’ll keep doing me.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Owen.

My response above is genuine. It would be an honour to meet Jeff… I would certainly buy him a beer. I am not a hater.

My parody video is a simple marketing tactic… the more people I can get talking about eboard performance the more people I will be able to educate & offer my service to… brand loyalty only goes so far.

Jeff knows performance matters, If he didn’t think it mattered he would not be releasing the new & improved model primarily promising improvements in performance as the key feature. This is happening because his loyal customer base are now demanding better, the customer knowledge is evolving faster than the company…

Honestly, Who doesn’t want more speed & performance? I bet you do? This community is proof of that. The viewership here is skyrocketing! 40k last month… 1700 people just yesterday reading about how to make high-performance electric skateboards.

At this point I think jeff doesn’t have an option, he must deliver better performance… or loose market share.

So if we are scoring the battle so far, it seems I’ve won round one already… the audience wants more power & performance and I have written that script. You are an example of that… you are here now & the conversation about performance has already started… that is my primary objective. Educating the masses about what’s possible in the world of esk8.

I put my eggs in the performance basket. Jeff has followed. The question is whether evolve is nimble enough! Will they be able to keep up?

I imagine evolve has some massive overheads, they must also keep the COGS low as their business model relies heavily on wholesale channels. Unfortunately, high performance also equals high cost. So they are going to have some big pricing decisions to make… they need to maintain healthy margins because they have a big bunch of resellers to keep happy. If their cost base increases just $100 that could push their retail price up an extra $400. The only way they can achieve high performance and keep their offering at current pricing is by investing in a huge amount of stock & mass producing parts (or using low-tech stuff)… this locks them into their “version” of technology for extended periods. Its a problem all tech companies have when they are bigger, how to scale & stay relevant?. It’s hard to continually evolve when you have certain business constraints that prevent rapid evolution…

Enertion is small enough & nimble enough to turn on a dime. Our battery tech, motor controllers, power management technology & battery chemistry tech will constantly evolve…

The irony is enertion may evolve faster than evolve can. I don’t really see how enertion can loose…

@monkey32 I will man. Fortunately, evolution was kind to this forum troll. Please be clear though. I don’t dislike onloop or any of what he has done, I’ve not actually discredited any of it. I do believe that getting up on a high horse and beating your chest only makes you a target, so you shouldn’t be suprised if you get shot down… It may not always end well for you. But hey, just my two cents of wisdom. Class dissmissed.

Back to the point now… This new board definetly is interesting, hence my passion to it. If someone is on the fence re buying vs building, i think this will be a strong contender if the price is realistic. For those set on building, it may be inspiration, for others though… Evolve already has runs on the board, I would definetely recommend checking out their product. It will be simple, and it will work straight out of the box - which if you are just after the ride, it will be all you need regardless.

It could be better, or it definitely is better but I dont care much. Buying is not as satisfying as building. The cost of my eboard is above boosted and or any noticeable brand released. But whats the fun in it? Having your self making it is half the fun of an eboard. Some didn’t quite get that yet :smiley:

Its a pretty simple DIY with some parts and mix match to choose. Just like lego and puzzle. The fun is the process its self. The finished board is the reward.

Modifications is always the benefits of an eboard. Even on finished products, people want to add something.

1 Like

Careful, here is my point. To claim you wrote the script, when you yourself have “carbon copied” so much so far is a bold statement. Really, in this case you are the the marc webb version of spiderman. Might be newer and have some fancy special effects, but really the story is still the same. No new script here. Evolve set the bar for performance. Boosted, Marbel & yourself all set out to reach that. Other brands set about rebuilding their models to compete. You’ve had your turn, give evolve credit for theirs. Without them I doubt a good chunk of your customers would have even noticed an electric skateboard to begin with. To claim a round victory against this is absurd, a full three plus year lead with updating in the very ethos of their name… I hope enertion evolves faster because really, there is a lot of catching up to do.

1 Like

I think the raptor looks awesome, so @OwenGrady you can’t say it’s not winning beauty contests. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to E boards as well.

no, they didn’t… I suppose it depends on what your definition of performance is.

they do deserve credit for their carbon deck design with integrated battery! that was a really nice move… they were the first in the world to do it…

They also decided to improve the battery chemistry & capacity extending the ride time! that was smart!

they invested in molds to remake their hand controller! smart move! that helped to differentiate them from a growing market of me-too copycats.

But they kept the same motor controller & brick-like motor that all the other “players” like fiik, altered, exkate were using… that is what has held them back!

yeah, they upgraded their trucks with gullwing sidewinder clones & put on some nice urethane! they deserve credit for all that…

But, when it comes to the performance, it was pretty much the same as the rest of the mass produced china products… same motors, same motor controllers & same hand controller. (hence the new version - jeff is smart, he knows what his weakness is)

If I really wanted I could also start selling the same “evolve” drive train system tomorrow… here is the Chinese factory that makes it

BUT at enertion we choose not to get the cookie cutter option available to every man, I choose to make my own creation! Because at heart I am a true electric skateboard builder… from the ground up.

The difference is I tell my various factories what I want them to make, I don’t simply buy the mass produced product that they are offering to anyone who thinks they can make a quick buck. Everything (90%) is custom made to my spec.

This is why it is so hard for others to copy enertion… My advantage is constant innovation and a stubborn “I can make it better” attitude.

1 Like

Have you actually ridden an evolve? Especially the 4 year old gen1 your link is clearly trying to imitate. There is very little similar to what you have posted, & i know conclusively that the motors you referance, do not work with the evolve system. Its odd you criticize that they are not using they’re own parts when their logo appears on near every component in the board. Its more curious that you question their originality, when the ideas enertion boards have been founded on are clearly not pioneering.

Your first gen boxy setups, cool stuff and definetly won’t be confused as a rebrand of Alien Power Systems.

Dual motors, now theres something cool. Boosted will be stoked with your paintwork on their claim to fame.

Fully integrated carbon decks! True Innovation back in 2012 when guess who did it first.

People dont copy enertion, because they copy the orginals too. Imitation is flattery.

The unfortunate truth in your relationship with the electric skateboard, is that your something blue, is also your something borrowed. Claiming to lead the charge here is fruitless outside your provision of this forum for commentry. Huge credit to that, but trumpeting quality from a garage, against a company who started their 3rd gen before enertion even existed is not just ballsy, it sets an expectation above what you may have facility to meet. I dare say evolve already consistently sells numbers that outgun your entire production runs in a matter of days… And have already learnt a lot of lessons you have yet to learn. I also dare say, to think they might not have their own cards up their sleeve still, as you seem to hint with your at project, would be a decent gamble. Good luck, but i’d probably try get a bit more behind me before trying to shoot down one of the biggest players in your industry.

2 Likes

The motor look like the new evolve skateboard! What do you guys think about that ??

I just simply do not understand the hate. I mean its two different companies doing teo different aproaches. The concept of electric longboard goes way back, it started with just gas motor.

Seriously this conversation of whos better who follows who is nonsense. Theres no need to think. Making funny videos replicating others is a fine deal in the industry. All cars manufacturers did! So does apple try to make mac while ibm is already in the sky. Also facebook while there was friendster and shit. So whats your point really! If you evolve die hard fans than this forum is not for you, go find other evolve group forum.

Here is a place to DIY. We check evolve, boosted and other see what they did. Then we can step up the game while doing DIY up to the company, or even better as we people can just simply shoved more power in electric vehicle these days.

I am not pro enertion or pro evolve. But doing bs talk about who follows who and ridicule each other is simply showing negative attitude. Those videos above doesnt hurt anyone. So theres no problem and dont make problem!

3 Likes

Uhhh…I have 5 boards. All of them, even my dual pneumatic will burn out across a smooth floor without any weight on them! Going to have to do better than buying your shit from benchwheel before you claim any evolution!

Seriously! A company the size of evolve should be able to do way better than this.

ordering from those Chinese factories, you can put your logo one whatever you want… its just the same as Fiik, or even hoverboards- rebrand them, maybe change the aesthetic (like a carbon deck, different trucks and wheels, etc) but the same base-board is the same.

they were both buying esc’s from flier… who enertion then left because they became complete crap. Not rebranding Alien… just using the same supplier.

Boosted didn’t patend dual motors… so are all of us or any other company who uses two motors infringing upon Boosted’s “claim to fame”? And so when Enertion has 2 outrunners as opposed to Evolve’s single one, they are just copying Boosted? Dual motors offer better acceleration, breaking, and just an overall performance increase in general- it isn’t just a boosted thing; hell, boosted sells a single drive!

bro, you don’t get it- that link isn’t imitating the evolve 1st gen, it IS the evolve first gen! that was the start to evolve, and then (as I mentioned above) Jeff went on to start modifying some of the stuff to improve and set them apart. Like Fiik or others, he got his start re-selling those Chinese boards…

And before you ask, I have ridden an Evolve Bamboo series- is it bad? no. Could you do way better for the money through Enertion, LongHairedBoy, or the DIY community? Hell yes.

my 2 cents

3 Likes

Loving this thread. Just goes to show how passionate you we all are. Coming as a purely off the shelf first time owner of an eboard. I can say the new Evolve will be great board for those looking for a new complete. Ive tried the current evolves and love the different rides they offers with the double truck system. At the end of the day though you cant beat the feeling I get at going 45km/hr at a whim and bombing up hills at pace. The current Evolves are left for dust. Lets wait to see he specs and the real world numbers before we say anymore about the boards themselves.

I feel this topic needs to stay with the facts about the board and we cant do that yet as we only have the marketing hype. The battle between companies needs to beep done elswhere. I’m with @laurnts on this one. @onloop you have fallen into the trolls trap.

@OwenGrady you have made yout point. Move on.

I see this topic as info as to what is out there. This forurm is for DIY. To gleam ideas.

Can we just get it back to the topic. Which at moment theres no more news yet on the dual motor. Is there.Yet.

What I can say is that the Enertion motors are larger than the new Evolves from my eyes. Hope that Evolve deal with the battery life to make up for 2 motors it now has to power.

2 Likes