EBoard Mosfet Switch

A single 7530 MOSFET is not going to be enough for 60A continuous

In addition, most anti-spark switches have a capacitor and resistor in series, connecting the gate to the drain. It’s my understanding that this is what limits the inrush of current to the ESC’s caps, preventing the spark

? The data sheet I have says that it is rated at 195A Continuous drain current at a 10V Vgs. So why wouldn’t one be enough?

You want to keep the power dissipation to around 1 W per FET. With a single 7530, you would be dissipating 4-5 W at 60A. A single 7530 should really only be used up to 30A continuous, and even that is pushing it a bit. Otherwise you need to incorporate passive or active cooling

1 Like

@jmasta @dstnceswmer A single FET is fine for your use. Your board only draws around 20A nominal with peaks UpTo around 80A but that’s for a very short amount of time and it can handle it fine. @jmasta about the capacitor resistor on the gate to limit inrush current thing, no you should not do that. I was talking to some very smart electricians on Stack Exchange and they were saying it isn’t healthy for FET’s. Also inrush current doesn’t matter because it’s a MOSFET so there is no sparking and they can handle extremely brief high inrush current no problem. Also I’ve been using a single 7530 FET as a switch for my board for a while and it works, so yeah.

Ok, I was just going to say the same thing regarding not needing 60A continuously, just wasn’t sure how much I’d actuall be drawing. How exactly did you figure approximately 20A? Just curious as to what calculations would be used.

Also, looking at barrel jacks for the charging port. Only problem is they seem to be all rated for only 12V. Will this be a problem?

ie. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mpd-memory-protection-devices/EJ501A/EJ501A-ND/2439531

No it shouldn’t be a problem. Im using this connector because it comes with a waterproof cover which will be very useful. And for the male connector im using this.

Hey, long time forum lurker here, gotta thank you for the schematic for the switch - it was a ton of fun building. Two things though, I want to double check a few things with the switch i built:

1st, is it even right? I don’t have much experience with circuits and a second pair of eyes always helps.

2nd is this where I should solder on those zener diodes?

please excuse my crummy soldering job :sweat:

2 Likes

Hey @wuwica your circuit looks great especially for a perfboard one lol. Its a little hard to tell what exactly is going on in the pics just because of the nature of it being a perfboard circuit but as long as it follows the same principles and has the same connections as my circuit below it should work just fine.

1 Like

Heres another pic of an actual board I made for a customer that uses that same circuit I posted above.

3 Likes

Hi, love your drawing, Does it work? did you actually do it? and is the battery indicator on when you charge your board( while the SPDT switch is off) ??

@kyo I can at least tell you that when it is charging the battery monitor will not be illuminated because it comes after the MOSFET in the circuit.

1 Like

@kyo Thanks :), I am in the process of building it at the moment and testing it. Still waiting on a few parts to come in from digi key. I’ll update when I have a few results.

1 Like

@dstnceswmer hey for the MOSFET’s I actually just bought them from a website called Arrow and there half the price of Mouser or Digi-Key. They also ship from within the US and shipping is free! It was $16 for 10 FET’s. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/irfb7530pbf/international-rectifier

2 Likes

Hey guys, @JdogAwesome , @dstnceswmer thanks for your input. I am thinking ab a senario that battery indicator will be turned on or off accordingly to the switch and charging port. What i mean is that when turn on or off the board by the switch, batt inducator turns on off accordingly, we can do this already, and when we charge the board by plug in a charger, can the battery indicator turns on or off accordingly ?? Can we do that?

my switch in the drawing should only be on when the board is turned on (when motor/VESC is connected to the battery). When the board is switched off the battery monitor will also be off. This is because the negative lead of the monitor is connected to the drain of the fet, same as the motor. So when the FET is off there is no connection of the negative wire in either the motor or batt monitor to the ground of the battery.

1 Like

Cool, you’ve been a great help

I just gotta plug the ESC and wire in a charging port.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

dang wish I saw this earlier lol. I actually just ordered 5 from digi key today for like $20 :(. I did go with a slightly cheaper one than the 7530’standard though. I went with IRFB7534PBF. The specs seen nearly the same as the 7530’s. Also I’m gonna be putting two in parallel just to err on the side of caution

I set up a push switch before my battery indicator, and I’d just press the button whenever I want to check the charge. I’d imagine it’d be doable if you have a 3 pin dc connector (tip, sleeve, shunt) and a transistor to check when the dc jack is plugged in.

pin 3 disconnects when a jack is plugged into the connector.

My knowledge of electronics is only ankle deep so I cant really think up a schematic for it :disappointed_relieved:.

Oh didn’t realize @kyo also wanted to have in indicator turn on based on the charging plug. In that case, yes @wuwica that sort of connector would do the trick.