Dead VESC4.12 10mph in a parking lot

Do these things just fail randomly? diyelectricskateboard doesn’t even warranty them unless you buy a warranty for 2/3 the cost of a new one. Which…of course I didn’t, I didn’t plan on pushing it too hard. And… 80miles later it just dies doing 10mph in a parking lot.

“You have two choices, replace the DRV chip yourself, or Buy a new VESC”

Pretty great Customer service!!!

I’m the 5th one among my group, others had been attributed to FOC, over voltage braking downhill on a fresh pack, and road dust.

2 Likes

A lot of those vescs have been having problems, @torqueboards younmight wanna take a look at this

If you can prove that the Vesc was damaged before you used it and that fault caused it to break. then you should be able to get a replacement. 99% of products that dont come with a warranty still come with buyers protection ( depending on where you live ) aka, if it arrived borked then its not your fault so you dont need a warrenty to protect you.

Mine also died 2 months in. BLDC mode nothing crazy ran fine then one day nothing. Also have 2 other buddies that have 3 dead vesc also all within 2 months or less. Im thinking a bad batch or just shit components.

I think that everyone thinks that it’s a good price at 100 dollars not realizing u can get a focbox for $40 more which has had much fewer issues and have yet to here of a burned direct fet or capacitor on them

@notepad, unfortunately it’s got 80 miles on it. So it’s not like it was a “misconfiguration” issue, I’ve been riding! Nothing’s changed, no road dirt, it’s in a box on top of my deck, not overheated 44degrees, not wet. Just not a good product I guess.

@willpark16 Have you been using a focbox? people seem pretty happy with them?

I’m looking at sending it in to some guy someone in the group knows for repair, but if that’s just gonna be 40bucks down the drain…

I swear by, ollin and axle, but focboxes seem to be great as well.

@Jinra, what makes their VESC’s any better? Aren’t they all the same parts?

Yea, I ended up getting the Ollin V1.1. Hopefully i get it soon :slight_smile:

They have an upgraded BOM. More/better capacitors mainly

I summon you ! @johnnymeduse

@JohnnyMeduse

huh?

ten characters

1 Like

Oh!!! Johnny!!! I get it now… I msged you on your page earlier!! Do you do upgrades to these things? Or is it just a chip swap?

Translation: Ollin and Axle VESC’s have better mechanisms dealing with voltage spikes, FOC mode, and just overall breaking. Not to mention Ollin VESC’s come with a 2 year warranty :wink:

I ride foc on my foc boxes with zero issue, I switch between foc and Bldc daily, and have never encountered an issue, they are much better at dissipatingbheat and have fets instead of drvs, You can look through many threads but will find few of any customer complaints about them, highly reccomend these or an ollin but lately I think Olin has been a bit behind on some orders so if you want a fox box hit up @yummyblobs he’s honest and legit and fulfills his orders with complete customer satisfaction

That is true ollins come with a 2 year warranty that he actually lives up to "cough cough "

1 Like

Thanks for the input Will!

2 Likes

I got the DRV error with less than 1 mile on FOC using Vesc-x

@psychotiller has a vesc repair service for 40$

No I don’t. @JohnnyMeduse does for $45 and I refer people to him from my site.

[email protected]

Thanks for the BigUps though!!

4 Likes