Dead VESC4.12 10mph in a parking lot

I blew 3 VESCs before I just gave up. Getting new Focboxes so hopefully I can stop blowing money.

Which VESCs?

I was using 4.12 VESCs from DIY Electric Longboards.

I sent them off to @JohnnyMeduse for repair before I decided to go with Focbox. I am gonna sell them as soon as I get them back.

I think Iā€™ve heard more of them breaking than maytech vescs at this pointā€¦

6 Likes

Yeah, but I think that is just due to the fact that more people on this forum buy from DIY Electric Skateboards rather than Maytech since everyone already knows Maytech is garbage.

2 Likes

Noā€¦People on the forum follow hearsay like sheep. There was never as big an issue with maytech vescs. Only the ā€œchineseā€ stigma. And guess where DIYā€™s are made?

1 Like

Ollin also switched to china from us

I menaged to blew mine while on a bench, because I blew up my bms

Iā€™m Chineseā€¦when I blew the same Vesc-X twice it was probably all my fault? Everything I make are Chinese made LOL

8 Likes

Your kids are chinese madeā€¦Do you scare them straight with stories of Steve Jobs? :slight_smile: Sorry brother, I couldnā€™t help myself. No offense intended, just joking around.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had 2 DIY VESCā€™s blow cruzing around at nothing more than 15mph, on flat ground. First one got me just down my street on the debut ride, and second lasted about 100 miles. Definitely something wrong with hardware or just poor quality over all. I was running pretty conservative settings as well.

Sadly Iā€™m more American than anything. Canā€™t even teach my child to speak the Chinese. Sheā€™s probably just another broken Chinese product

Nothing offends me which is probably why I ā€œoffendā€ others all the time

7 Likes

I can dig it, in a similar boat myself. I tend to be more abrasive than necessary when something really irks me :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Good choice of word! This has been going on a long time. All vescā€™s including FOCbox have had a high failure rate. Mostly due to user error.

Iā€™ve had muliple vescā€™s fail. Personally, Iā€™ve burned out more Ollin and DIY than Maytech. Chaka and @JohnnyMeduse can confirm this, because they did the repairs.

1 Like

Ya know I always hear about how Maytech vescs are terrible, but Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s usually people who havenā€™t tried them, vs people who recommend that have

1 Like

The funny thing is @mmaner and @psychotiller gave me a hard time when I joined the community as if the DIY escs were my faultā€¦

Lol. But yā€™all are great, just funny every time I see these posts compared to other escsā€¦ even the highly popular focboxā€¦

1 Like

Every dead VESC Iā€™ve ever seen, doesnā€™t include maytech as Iā€™ve never had any, has been caused by user error or conditions. What I am saying is that I have never seen a defective VESC, only VESCā€™s that were broken by people not installing or configuring them correctly or installed so that environmental conditions, vibrations, electrical conditions, etc could have conceivably been the cause. Thatā€™s just my personal observations.

1 Like

While id agree. Iā€™d say setup a focbox and diy exactly the same with the same motors and see which one fails.

Have yet to see a focbox fail(locally) except one that had a cap shorted on the housing(Manu defect). Just my experience. But hey I like you and psycho, not wanting an argument just respecting our cumulative findings :wink:

2 Likes

We have several of both running here with no issues. FOC and BLDC

1 Like