Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

@rpasichnyk Just played with the TCP Bridge function. Thank you so much for this feature, this is so awesome. It`s a pain in the ass, to disassembly my board, every time i need to make changes in the vesc-tool, i know i have other options to do that, but i like to use my desktop for programming/test so thank you :slight_smile:slight_smile: BTW: Is it possible to flash new firmware via TCP Bridge allso, or do you recommend using usb cable for that ??

Ohh… Any reasen why you choose to do the title thing on top of each other ? It’s pain in the as, and gets pretty confusing when i want to re-do the realtime info/layout screen. Why not at simple drop down list, to chose the prefered info/layout from ?

Just choose the info you want to se, from a simple list, and then arrange the titles afterwards the way you want it to look ?

2 Likes

It’s a good idea :slight_smile: I will think about it!

I don’t recommend flashing firmware via TCP Bridge because it takes way to long. Actually if you have enough patience it may work, but I don’t know for sure. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try, because firmware is protected by checksum (crc16) and if some bytes are corrupted during transfer, VESC will just ignore it.

I completed a small project recently, I managed to convert metr records to format understandable by Garmin VIRB Edit. It is very powerful and easy to use software for telemetry overlay. Really looking forward for someone giving it a try, please do, instructions are available at metr.at/overlay

8 Likes

Can you still use the mode feature if you are using ackmaniac 3.1 FW? Using the metr bluetooth module.

Oh and i would like to have a WATT meter on the Realtime screen aswell, is this possible to fix? Maxium watt on the recording would be great also!

1 Like

I tested that with a random video and it worked flawlessly, just need to put my board together from some minor repairs and buy a selfie stick

1 Like

I dont know what I am doing wrong with this thing, but I am trying to install a new Metr BT dongle on a new build I did over the weekend. It uses x2 FocBox’s, I’ve tried both of the @Ackmaniac firmware versions (2.54 & 3.1.00), the Enertion BLDC Tool with its firmware, I cannot get my phone (Google Pixel with BT 4.2) or an iPhone 6 to the see the BT device. Any ideas?

I’m about to start drinking. Then I’m going to want to skate, then Im gonna get hurt because my reaction times are so slow…from all the drinking. Do your duty as a good citizen and SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!! by telling what kind of dumbass I’m being :).

2 Likes

Your problem is, you should have started drinking first then hooked it up. Do you have both apps for the BT open. My phone didn’t recognize it because both apps were open.

2 Likes

U might be right, Ill try that next time :slight_smile:. Nope I forced everything closed then just opened the Metr app, still no joy. I’ve double checked the pin out and the physical wiring, all looks good.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

So is this BT Module and the app compatible with the Ackmaniac VESC Firmware? I know thta it wasnt some time ago but how is it now.

Did you connect the Module to 5V or 3.3V?

I just plugged it into the uart port. The wires are in the same placement on both the receiver and the jst plug as in the pic. I assume it it’s in the correct pin.

dju set it to ppm and uart?

1 Like

Having trouble with the Virb overlay. Even though I know metr captured speed data, not sure why it’s not capturing current though, it’s not coming up when I import into Virb.

FWIW, running a VESC-X with Ackmaniac 3.1

1 Like

I did, even tried the slave vesc. Im gonna try another vesc yo.orrow and see if that might be the issue.

FWIW, you won’t get the Pixel to connect if it’s running Oreo (Android 8.0) due to the strict requirements that Android put into place in the latest version.

See this thread for details - Bluetooth HM-10 not discoverable on Android 8.0/8.1 Oreo - #58 by Forum1234 - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

The iPhone 6 should work though. I know I was able to get my wife’s iPhone to connect. Post above where I’m asking about Virb overlay was captured using a Shield Tablet running Nougat - Android 7.0.

1 Like

I read through that, great info. I just don’t understand why the iPhone and the Nexus don’t see it. I’m gonna try a different vesc and so some isolation testing tomirrow, maybe I’ll come up with some more info.

@Bjork3n I will add Watt meter to the Realtime screen soon, thank you for the suggestion! Yes, you can use mode feature with Ackmaniacs FW.

@zyphaz Unfortunately it is not possible to display Voltage / Current values in VIRB Edit. I wanted that too. Neither VIRB nor file format used for telemetry (https://www.thisisant.com/resources/fit) support this. Hope Garmin will add it in the future, as electric bikes and motorbikes get more and more popular. At least we have Power (Watts) now :wink:

@mmaner the LED on the module is blinking when powered on. After you press Scan in the app, the LED should stop blinking and keep always ON. Does it happen?

2 Likes

Hi Roman, I’m not able to update the app anymore on my iPhone 5. Did you upgrade to a newer package not compatible with such old (but still working) phones ? I’m stucked in 2.2.6.

iPhone 5 (2012) is 32bit device. Since 5S (2013) apps could run in 64 or 32bits. I believe that since iOS11Apple completely dropped support for 32bit apps what probably reflected on devs not being able to compile new version of their software in 32 bits.

@rpasichnyk Thanks for the clarification re: available metrics.

Regarding the Overlay speedos, which speed should I be selecting? I tried Recorded Speed , Recorded 2D/3D, Calculated, Calculated 2D/3D and all of them showed only a max of 6MPH. As seen in the screenshot above, Metr recorded anywhere up to 44KPH.

I can send the *.fit file if you want to take a deeper look, but I don’t want to post it here since it has GPS data near my home (I now see in the options I can exclude the map data by the way, thanks for that).