Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

What do you mean by “can not use 1 motor”? It is not spinning or what?

Yup exactly. One motor running, one motor not running. I’ve done several test because I tought I fucked up my vesc and i’m sure 100% it’s somewhat linked to the bluetooth or App.

This is very strange, as the app does not control motors in any way.

What firmware do you have on each VESC? What remote do you use? Do you have remote and bluetooth module connected to the same VESC?

I have firmware 2.18 with focbox GT2B No remote on master and bluetooth module on slave. My tought it’s the can connection the problem, dunno how it’s linked to metr. The only way I could recreate this specific bug without the metr app was by turning on the board, then turn the remote on 2 mins later and it would only control one motor. I have to turn off board and turn board + remote on in a 1 min window or only 1 motor will spin. It’s so weird i ve checked everything inside and parameters of focbox all seem fine

Will the 7 pin version for FOCBOX work with the future Vesc6 variants that are coming out in the near future? Ive put my name down for 2x B-boxes (Vesc6 based hardware) and moved away from the Focbox route, Am I stuck with a module that I cant use? Or can I change the pinout to make it work?

You just need to swap RX and TX (orange and green wire). 7-pin connector can be plugged in 8-pin slot on VESC6.

1 Like

@rpasichnyk I was thinking here, do you ever thought of implementing users account on the app and the website? They way it is if you don’t save the address of each uploaded record you have to upload the again to see, and to see on a computer I generally add it to a cloud notes app and then open it on the pc

With a user you could access all your records anywhere and quickly

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking about it, even though that will complicate the setup. I don’t like apps that require registration in order to function properly, so I need to support both with- and without account scenarios. And then even handle things like oh, I have a tablet and a phone, and I want seamless synchronization of my history, etc. All of this is possible, and I will try to do it in the future. Thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@rpasichnyk Just played with the TCP Bridge function. Thank you so much for this feature, this is so awesome. It`s a pain in the ass, to disassembly my board, every time i need to make changes in the vesc-tool, i know i have other options to do that, but i like to use my desktop for programming/test so thank you :slight_smile:slight_smile: BTW: Is it possible to flash new firmware via TCP Bridge allso, or do you recommend using usb cable for that ??

Ohh… Any reasen why you choose to do the title thing on top of each other ? It’s pain in the as, and gets pretty confusing when i want to re-do the realtime info/layout screen. Why not at simple drop down list, to chose the prefered info/layout from ?

Just choose the info you want to se, from a simple list, and then arrange the titles afterwards the way you want it to look ?

2 Likes

It’s a good idea :slight_smile: I will think about it!

I don’t recommend flashing firmware via TCP Bridge because it takes way to long. Actually if you have enough patience it may work, but I don’t know for sure. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try, because firmware is protected by checksum (crc16) and if some bytes are corrupted during transfer, VESC will just ignore it.

I completed a small project recently, I managed to convert metr records to format understandable by Garmin VIRB Edit. It is very powerful and easy to use software for telemetry overlay. Really looking forward for someone giving it a try, please do, instructions are available at metr.at/overlay

8 Likes

Can you still use the mode feature if you are using ackmaniac 3.1 FW? Using the metr bluetooth module.

Oh and i would like to have a WATT meter on the Realtime screen aswell, is this possible to fix? Maxium watt on the recording would be great also!

1 Like

I tested that with a random video and it worked flawlessly, just need to put my board together from some minor repairs and buy a selfie stick

1 Like

I dont know what I am doing wrong with this thing, but I am trying to install a new Metr BT dongle on a new build I did over the weekend. It uses x2 FocBox’s, I’ve tried both of the @Ackmaniac firmware versions (2.54 & 3.1.00), the Enertion BLDC Tool with its firmware, I cannot get my phone (Google Pixel with BT 4.2) or an iPhone 6 to the see the BT device. Any ideas?

I’m about to start drinking. Then I’m going to want to skate, then Im gonna get hurt because my reaction times are so slow…from all the drinking. Do your duty as a good citizen and SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!! by telling what kind of dumbass I’m being :).

2 Likes

Your problem is, you should have started drinking first then hooked it up. Do you have both apps for the BT open. My phone didn’t recognize it because both apps were open.

2 Likes

U might be right, Ill try that next time :slight_smile:. Nope I forced everything closed then just opened the Metr app, still no joy. I’ve double checked the pin out and the physical wiring, all looks good.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

So is this BT Module and the app compatible with the Ackmaniac VESC Firmware? I know thta it wasnt some time ago but how is it now.

Did you connect the Module to 5V or 3.3V?

I just plugged it into the uart port. The wires are in the same placement on both the receiver and the jst plug as in the pic. I assume it it’s in the correct pin.

dju set it to ppm and uart?

1 Like