Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

that’ll make it super bulky…

just put some polyolefin over the pcb and call it a day.

2 Likes

I have lots of space in my enclousres so wouldnt matter what much for me.

So I finally managed to write a custom FW and VESC Tool to add the “nrf power off” option. Loaded the dual and had a quick test at home, no BLE dropouts.

I’ll keep you updated once the weather is kind enough to let me test outside. I’ll also try to build VESC Tool for windows and share it with @Riako as he has the same issue.

3 Likes

I can’t believe it actually helped :scream_cat: Looking forward for your test ride!

1 Like

No sure if a test on a bench can really tells if it helped. I made the motors running but no load. Do you have some advices for configuring qt in order to build windows version ? If we are 2 to test, we’ll obtain better results of this modification. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should be similar to linux version

• Get Qt online installer with MinGW
  • Build
  • Run windeployqt vesc_tool.exe
  • Zip everything and you are good to go
1 Like

Would you be willing to add this @rpasichnyk? :smiley: I think it’ll be greatly appreciated by many!

No, please use CAN bus, it was designed for that! You also get additional benefits as Traction Control, changing Modes, TCP Bridge for both VESCs, etc. There is no problem with CAN if you use it right.

Alright, I’ll look into how to get reliable CAN then… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rpasichnyk still no way to port the app to tizen in the future ?

I’ll wait a couple of weeks till Samsung event, see if they will announce Gear S4 and are still committed. But most likely yes, Tizen is coming.

2 Likes

Finallllyyyy mate ! It’s some great news :slight_smile: Of course they don’t sell as much as apple watch but we are here still. From s2 to s3 the software is the same so it should stay that way i think

1 Like

Hi Roman,

I finally found spare time to test my custom firmware in order to fix BLE dropouts.

BEFORE (official 3.34) :

AFTER (custom 3.35) :

So, my conclusion is…

IT WORKS !

I didn’t change anything on my setup beside the FW upload on both VESCs. To be confirmed by @Riako but I still can’t build windows version of VESC Tool. The built .exe file asks for several QTxxx.dll. I trying to figure out how to embed them. :slight_smile:

Cheers !

2 Likes

This is amazing, thank you for investigating! Very interesting stuff… I guess it will be useful for all who VESC6 + BLE. I just tried to build VESC Tool on Windows, here’s how, maybe you will find what you missed:

Installed Qt mingw variant

Opened Qt Creator and built Release configuration

Found resulting binary vesc_tool_0.87.exe and copied it to a new folder, navigated to that folder using mingw terminal and run

/c/Qt/5.10.1/mingw53_32/bin/windeployqt.exe vesc_tool_0.87.exe --release cp /c/Qt/Tools/mingw530_32/bin/libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll . cp /c/Qt/Tools/mingw530_32/bin/libwinpthread-1.dll . cp /c/Qt/Tools/mingw530_32/bin/libstdc++-6.dll .

Verified that I can run vesc_tool_0.87.exe from there Zipped the folder

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It works ! Thank you so much ! :pray:

2 Likes

First real ride with metr, no signal drops even in a busy city street with lots on interference, I guess the VESC’s for outside the EU have the radio permanently disabled or even not installed on the board

@rpasichnyk for calculating the consumption, do you subtract the regen amount? In my calculations it doesn’t appear to be so, would be more accurate? Or at least make an option to enable it?

https://metr.at/r/I91WQ

1 Like

Personally I find the consumption completely wrong. When it says i cosume 100 wh for exmample i will have at least use 200 -300 wh It really not worked correctly for me since i have it so in don’t use this function at all it’s always wrong with me

@Pedrodemio No, I don’t subtract the regen amount. My first thought those are two different things and you can not say you have less consumption just because you use regen. But after more thinking I am not sure, I guess you can say that :thinking:

@ElskerShadow maybe because you have 2 VESCs and they are not connected via CAN? Then you get half the consumption, just for 1 VESC.

1 Like

I have 2 vesc in CAN I have not doubled the data because last time i done it it gave me really crazy numbers I will try again the function to see if it helps How can i be sure all energy consumption is displayed on my app so i can be more aware of my efficiency ! Thank you

I have carvon V3 so i have put 1 on each pulley is it the right thing to do to calculate speed ?

I wonder i have attached lights to my reciever so pulling the energy from the battery do you know if the app take that in count ?

It seems that my consumption is not accurate as well. For my last 10km ride, metr calculated 590Wh (see my logs in my previous messages) That makes 59Wh/km, which is impossible in a street ride (even in heavy uphill in the mountain I reached 35Wh/km calculated by Ackmaniac app). :thinking:

1 Like