Worst nightmare came true. Help me find out why…

Look for cogging while accelerating quickly.

1 Like

Weirdly nothing happened to the shirt but at the end of the sleeve. Think I might have taken most on the pressure with my gloves. One hand did get caught between my chest and the road which ripped the side of the glove. And just now I see that the jaw part of my helmet took a hit as well. The only thing I feel now is the heel on the foot that took the first impact (can’t stand on it. Need to be on my toes). And on the dorsal side of the hand that got caught.

image image image image

4 Likes

Nice and clean!

Do you lean forward when grabbing the throttle? I’m always afraid of this, so rather than lean forward, I bend my knees and sit down. Gives me a fighting chance at staying on if throttle cuts. Not sure if I can stay on if it cogs though.

1 Like

Yeah… I do lean forward. I lean forward all the time mostly when going fast. Practicing the tuck. But I have the feeling that when something happens as it did to day I have no chance saving the fall. I think this is the significant main different between going fast on a eboard and going fast down hill on a gravity driving board. We have have the possibility of a electronic failure coming out of the blue giving us no time to react and work with the crash. In DH they often can anticipate the crash, giving them options to control the crash better.

4 Likes

I’m having similar problems with my 4wd. I’m pretty sure all 4 motors go out together when I accelerate hard from still and it’s on a 4way split ppm with 4 separate foc boxes. It would be odd if all four motors had a bad detection. I was under the impression it had something to do with the enertion nano remote since all four died together. I’m not getting any errors in the app. I know it’s hard to give input without me showing any settings

Open up your Nano-x and have a look at the battery. I had two that I never fully got around to using, so they were brand new, although had been sitting in a box for a while. One would not hold a charge, and the other would, but seemed to need a charge everytime I picked it up. Opened them both up and found this. Those suckers were ready to pop, and didn’t even have a ride on them. Interestingly, I got these during Enertions notorious 2017 Black Friday deal along with some “in stock” FOCBOX’s that showed up around Feb, 2018. So, according to the date on the batteries, they were almost 1 year old before I got them brand new, and neither seemed to hold a charge very well even then. 20190201_155329 20190131_220407

4 Likes

@davidbonde What firmware version are you using?

Oh look! They put balloons in the remotes to make them lighter!

7 Likes

I guess 2.18. I’m using the bdlc tool. Probably should switch over to ackmaniac.

Opened up the remote and luckily did not have the same issue with the battery.

1 Like

Hope you find the root cause of your problems. I do think however that full throttling on the bench is hardly a comparable test to full throttling on the road. You won’t be able to ramp up enough amps to trigger the supposed fault.

Glad to know you were well protected… out of curiosity, what Kevlar shirt (or is it a t-shirt) is that?

1 Like

@chaka thanks for the investigative journalism! I always love to learn a bit more about why cutouts happen and what can be done to mitigate these instances.

4 Likes

A bench top dyno is on the to do list. Nothing fancy just a couple of drums heavy enough to draw a lot of power while spooling them up. Testing a board that tops out at 40+mph on the road is not that big of a deal but my last build doesn’t hit its power band till roughly 30 mph and has a therotical top speed of 66mph.

8 Likes

3.40. Now updated to 3.54 as I ran a new motor detection today. What your thoughts @b264?

Think you are right. I need the protection. I am to afraid of crashes not to wear them. Seriously considering some leathers. I wore this kvelar sweat shirt: https://www.xlmoto.dk/troje-xlmoto-fuld-aramid-sortsolv#?p Just saw that they also have it without the reflex writing now. Would have chosen that if they had it back when I ordered.

2 Likes

I am back doing my speed runs. If I kick push to start and don’t hit the throttle to hard, I am not close to the 120 motor amps spikes.

To be hornets… When I look at my VESC data I don’t really know if they are normal or at values where I should be concerned. Especially I am thinking of the motor amps and temp. Is it normal that they are this high? If someone with more knowledge about this than me have time to take a look I would appreciate it. I want to understand better.

It seems that my setup max out at 37 mph. I can’t seem to get it going faster.

I run 10s - 6365 200kv - 16/42 - 150mm pneumatics - focboxes

Vesc data:

https://metr.at/r/UaZY4

1 Like

Ì can fully agree on this. My first build with no experience brought me around town for 2 years/ 2000km without a single hickup or issue. Only wearing a helmet.

6 month ago after building my 2nd board 2nd ride it tossed me off quite hard on the asphalt during acceleration wearing thin clothes, just came out of the gym. BMS cutoff on cell voltage because of unbalance almost full discharged pack.

1 week ago rebuilt my 2nd board, it tossed me off again. Wearing motor jeans en hoodie with kevlar lining? builtin protectors wirst guards. It protected me actually quite good besides the road rash on the hip above my pants. (MBS crashpants laying in the closet…). This time mosfet of the antispark burnt probably due to insufficient cooling/issue cooling block.

I’m now looking for even more and better protective gear inspired by @Deckoz. I really appreciate your effort trying to convince people to wear proper safety gear. Somehow it is still little bit ignored. Wearing proper protective gear is essential part of our hobby.

7 Likes

@Deckoz Have you ever considered a leather suit. And what are your thoughts pro / con?

I use my 25+ year old leather pants from a motorcycle suit. Very good padding all aroud and as they have already some “scratches” I don´t care if there will be a few more.

1 Like

I´m totally with you in gearing up to the max. As I come from the MTB part of esk8, falling is just a part of it. To achieve falling as save as possible is never bad. Save you more time on the board in future.

But I also think that maintenance of our boards is pretty much underrated.

That´s just one of the things that can happen. Lose motor mounts, idlers, scratched cables, water in the enclosure and what not ever. Once the enclosure is mounted it´s good and closed for ever for some of us. I think as min a weekly inspection should be part of a save ride. Just open up the enclosure, check the voltage of your packs, check if all cables still in place and connected, check motor mounts and screws. That’s a 15min job for the most people and can prevent a lot of troubles later.

Or maybe get a smart bms which give you to monitor the individual pack voltage. Stay up to date with things who went wrong at other peoples builds and think about it and if that could happen with your build as well. One of the reasons why I for example never used my push to start switches was that just too much of this anti spark switches burned up and that was not worth the risk for me.

5 Likes

I’m looking at these crash pants, I value what’s left of my svelte lines :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyone tried them?

Leatt 3DF 5.0 Impact Shorts-L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DYHJ5H8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uR4UCbEHZ3XC4

I’ve got the Hillbilly impact shorts, and the Triple 8 Bumsavers. Either one is better than none, but I would definitely go with the Hillbilly shorts since they feel like they fit more comfortably, protect more area and have better padding. Those look pretty nice though.

1 Like