What's inside a boosted board - board dismantled

Hi yes i have they mentioned that its not one of there models covered under there recall program and I would have to send it in for servicing at a cost, but I would much rather fix it my self, I just need the value of the (C33) capacitor

its the Dual + Boosted Board only has a 6 month warranty its board is 1 1/2 years old I doubt that boosted board would have covered it ?

No I donā€™t think they would have. Shoot boosted an email asking about the capacitor? Iā€™m sure they will give you the info at least

Lifepo4 Cells in that video are pretty large - larger (fatter) than 18650 from the looks. Are they 26650?

Anyone know if boosted uses the same cells in their extended range packs?

Not the same cells for sure. But Im not sure which one they use tho.

Standard range cells are 12s1p lifepo4 a123 26650

Xr battery is a 13s2p of liion 18650 cells somewhere in the 2800 capacity range

Source: Iā€™ve open and worked on both

3 Likes

Great info. Thanks.

Are you sure itā€™s not the other way around? LiFePo4 cells have a lower voltage so I would expect them to be in the 13s configuration.

1 Like

Warranty voiding is illegal in the US, no matter what he did if heā€™s within his warranty he still can use it.

Yes iā€™m sure.

Built an extender pack for my old v2 (can count the cells)

The yellow cells are from the standard rangeā€¦

image image image

3 Likes

Strange, I did not expect that. Do they limit the top speed via erpm?

Since LiFePo4 offer more discharge, they had to increase voltage on the extended Li-Ion pack to achieve the same torque without the feeling of voltage sag at any point of the ride. Actually the torque on the extended is slightly more punchy.

As for the top speed, itā€™s unclear how they implemented it since the ESC is proprietary. ERPM would be a good bet, yes.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so, boostedā€™s drive wheel pulleys are 56 teeth so that is the limiting factor I think

If the standard and the XR battery give the same top speed when they have such a difference in voltage (43.2V vs 54.6V) they must use some sort of speed limiter.

2 Likes

Hey barajabali,

New to the ESK8 game but Iā€™m an engineer with a lot of questions. I own a Boosted Board V2 Dual + and am looking for ways to extend the range. Portable Electric Skateboards makes a mod that requires tapping into the positive and negative leads of the board and putting in series additional battery packs. However in his video it looks like heā€™s using 10s battery packs with the standard range V2. When the board is completely dead his extended packs still have like 50% left in the batteries I think. Any reasons for this. Wouldnā€™t it make more sense to make 12s1p packs in parralel and connect them into the positive and negative terminals so you get the maximum capacity of all the packs?

You know Iā€™ve always thought that it was a little impressive that their ESC could handle 13s.

2 Likes

I may be out of line here but my visceral reaction is not to mess with Boosted HW. Except for @barajabali (you gotta add the @) heā€™s been around the block Iā€™m sure he knows what to do.

Boosted is like antithetical to DIY but the upside is it just works and when it doesnā€™t it gets serviced on someone elseā€™s time.

1 Like

@Meeep I thought the reply button would Auto tag. Thanks. Itā€™s actually a really simple modification if you do the research. Just need to find someone skilled to build the batteries.

I would not do his method. Are you going to use the v2 or xr battery?

1 Like

I have a V2 with an XR battery but I also have the standard range battery sitting around