What could be the respond to GTR

I agree, I can get a similar feel with softer bushings on RKP and still be more stable at speed.

This is how smartphones etc. manage voltage sag when reporting battery percentage. Itā€™s referred to Coulomb Counting and is the correct way of reporting battery state-of-charge. Measuring voltage in realtime, like most of us DIYers do, is really inaccurate.

Installing a bigger pack isnā€™t really a solution because there will still be some sag, leading the reported percentage moving up and down based on the load applied.

1 Like

Hey everybody, a total newbie here. Been looking for a thread to make my first postā€¦

Iā€™ve been skating/longboarding pretty much all my life, Iā€™ve had a Backfire G2T for about 1,5 months now and Iā€™m hooked and been looking for an upgrade.

I thought the GTR sounded promising, the only downside being the batteries not being 30Q, if it would be in the same priceclass. These comments discouraged me though as it seems a custom build would be a better option.

Good thing I joined this forum, love to watch all of your beautiful builds!

Cheers from Sweden!

4 Likes

There a lot of information here!

This thread is a good place to get some inspiration

Just click on the hyperlinks in the poll and it will direct you to the build thread

2 Likes

That must be a low performing board if you are looking for upgrades already :thinking:

Great,

That @Sender did fit to my expectation, perhaps some customization to move to DD could be an option to discuss.

a question: are available from Europe some customization as @Sender has done (shipping that includes batteries) ?

Bioboards are also solution that I am following.

Well not really, Iā€™m pretty happy with it. Smooth carving and Iā€™ve reached 45 km/h with it, wich is pretty sick for budget board as far as Iā€™m aware.

However, It only got a 10s2p battery and its hubmotors. It was a great intro into the game but I donā€™t like the idea of having the motors in the wheels, taking a good hit every bumb and twig, doesnā€™t feel ideal in the long runā€¦ Iā€™ve heard the torque is way more powerful on a belt driven board, and I would also like a board where I can have the AT option since thereā€™s a lot of cobblestones in my town.

Edit: Also, since Iā€™m the only one of my friends skating, at all. This would be a good way to get some more friends into Esk8ing! (I realize thatā€™s mainly an excuse I tell myself to justify another purchase)

This one is gear drive

20190413_115114 20190413_115256 20190413_115338 20190413_115315

15 Likes

Great, Did you send to Europe products in the past? How do you manage such situation? Order managed from end to end ? Do you have some trusted partner that can insert/finalyze battery in EU following your instructions?

Measuring state of charge has nothing to do with what we call ā€œvoltage sag.ā€

Here is a quick explanation for you:

Let say we have a board with a 10s4p battery made with 5 amp commodity cells. It will only be capable of 20 amps, 5amps times 4 cells in parrallel. If we try to pull 20 amps or more from this pack the voltage will quickly fall or ā€œsagā€. This drop in voltage under load effects the overall power curve making it feel sluggish and weak.

Now lets build another 10s4p battery with high performing 20 amp cells! This will give us 4 times more current, 80 amps. The voltage will be much more stable when on the throttle. The voltage will still drop when goosing the throttle but not nearly as much as it would with cheap commodity cells.

Adding more cells has a huge effect on voltage sag too. I have a board with 144 cells on a 12s12p format and the voltage sag is a non issue.

A bigger problem with all of this is the strawman argument you and eveolve have given here. I have never heard of anyone crying about measuring state of charge under throttle being a huge problem. It has always been the crappy acceleration and low speed from the cheap cells they used. Not sure what your motive is but jumping on this bandwagon and pretending battery size has nothing to do with voltage sag is not good for the knowledge base here.

2 Likes

Realistically, what size pack do you suggest they use then? 50km real-world on urethane/30km with AT is more than adequate. 432Wh is a lot of energy.

The real problem is that 18650 cells have a high energy density but low power density (relative to lipos), so you have to tote around a massive 6.5kg 12s12p battery pack if you want zero voltage sag. This is unrealistic.

Also, since when are Samsung 30Q cells ā€œcheap cellsā€? AFAIK they are currently the #1 choice of DIYers.

12s12p and it is geared to do over 60mph. It is not for the faint of heart.

I never said anything about what cells were used I was mearly trying to educate you on what voltage sag actually is. But yes a 10s4p pack with 20 amp cells is weak AF. Even a 10s6p pack with these cells leaves me wanting more.

In the end we should probably stop comparing prebuilts to custom builds. It is like comparing a Prius to club racer. One has a lot of bells, whistles and purchasable virtue, the other is purpose built to be user servicable and improved apon for range and performance. Air hogs are another great example of what the electric skateboard market is. Almost all serious rc fanatics build their own planes from scratch or kit builds but a lot of people are happy to fly an airhog, call it good, and move on. Being the airhogs of the electric skateboard industry is not a bad thing.

2 Likes

Youā€™re an air hog @chaka.

2 Likes

Only if I tried to fellate yours. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Pffft. If I took it out this whole forum would go dark.

#2019darkthemejason

5 Likes

It all depends on how you ride too.

On my 12s7p gear drive 10:24. I gun it a lot. Sure, I could get 20/25 wh/mi riding like @b264 :joy:.

But I get like 30-35 wh/mi riding hard. So I get like 26-30 miles.

Why is this on gear drive that I have such realatively low efficiency? Because I have it geared to go fast so it takes a lot more amps to get the same torque at lower speeds.

If I had it geared to go 28mph, efficiency would climb as my top end drops. Not worth it to me. I like the torque, but not at the expensive of having a sub 35mph build.

5 Likes

All hating aside, since they seem so serious. Do they have FCC, CE (EMC) and bluetooth certification? If they do, thats the only thing they got going imo, rest of the world sell illegal boards. (maybe boosted certifies thier hardware, not sure)

Yes but look at the price point. I considered one until I realised the prices were in USD.