VESC Monitor Android App

How does you module show up on your phone? Based on that I can tell you of it will work or you need another one or update the firmware

How?? I don’t know how to answer this question. WHat are the possible options?

When you open the app before select your board you should see the name of the module. Like Hm10. BLT5 ecc…

Strange. I just updated to Oreo(EMUI8.0) on my Honor 8, and it still connects. No problem at all. The BT module was bought about a year ago. Maybe there is some legacy support afterall.

That’s a known work arround how to get even non offical firmware HM10 modules working when you had a connected HM10 on your old Android version and update than to Oreo. However it’s likely that if you ever have to “forget” your module let’s say because you have dropout problems and try the old reconnect fix that you can’t find your module again.

Some HM10 clones are compatible. I have tried almost all of them and some work and some not. Although I could flash the original HM10 for aware on those ones and make them work as HM10.

Except i wiped the phone completely before installing Oreo :smiley:

That’s doesn’t matter. Is the module that is compatible or not. Anyhow of yours works than better like that. I also use and sell only clones so far. No problem at all, they do their job just fine.

41%20-%20Kopie It looks like that. So will it work with Android 8.0?

@Ackmaniac, it looks like BV has made a change in the firmware that may break your app:

VESC-Tool: FW 3.40 support, added VESC ID to mc_values. BLDC: Added motor controller ID to COMM_GET_VALUES.

Just an FYI for those not using Ack’s custom firmware.

1 Like

Would be cool if app would reconnect automatically when signal is regained. Like if i need to step away from the board and I come back with out fail the app is frozen and have to close and search for Bluetooth device again.

Also not sure if its just my phone but once I connect to a Bluetooth device I get two of those notification boxes. One says speed, battery%… The other just says “Esc monitor is running.” The latter doesn’t close when I close the app. So I have to force stop to completely close the app. Anyone have this issue.

Yes, I have the same issue. I have to force stop the app for it to actually close. But you gotta remember this is just one guy working on this app, and I am more than happy with what he has given us. For free.

Don’t get me wrong I really like this app and I’ve donated funds to ackmaniac. I like that the app brings a whole new dynamic trying to bring the wh/min down and also the heat by making the mechanical side more efficient. The reason I point out the app issues so hopefully it could be improved even more

1 Like

Yep it should

1 Like

I have a HM-10 showing up as a BT-05 as well in the app. It was working fine on my Nexus 5 running Android 7 (Lineage 14). However, when I updated to Lineage 15 (Android 8), it wasn’t showing up anymore in the app. It’s not showing up either on my new phone (Xiaomi Mi Mix 2) running Android 8.

I understand that this is because of the cheap HM-10. But come-on, they work fine on iOS and older Android versions. WTF Google.

The problem that they just use different firmware. You can update the HM10 firmware on your clone module. On the Arduino forum there is a tutorial that is pasted in this thread too. Just search for it. I know it sucks. Anyhow I have bt05 modules that work depends how old it is. To be sure of future compatibility I advice to update the firmware or buy module with the same breakout board of the HM10 module. You pay them a bit more but you are sure they work. I have plug and play module fully compatible to sell for cheap. You can find it in the flea market thread. AFAIK those are the options available up to know for Android based devices.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac Hey… is there already a version for Android 8.0 available ? The App can not find my bluetooth module anymore since I changed to Android 8. I heard that Android Oreo does not have BLE Discovery anymore. I would be very glad if I could use your app again some time soon… Thanks :slight_smile:

The problem isn’t the app, it’s how Android handles BLE connections, specifically to knockoff BLE modules. Before 8 not much attention was given to checking for a proper scan response so clone or knockoff BLE modules worked fine. Android 8 fixed this bug.

You can read more about it here: https://blog.yavilevich.com/2018/04/should-you-throw-away-your-cc41-hm-10-clones-now-that-android-8-is-here/ (also posted above by @Pimousse).

1 Like

Is not the app but most likely your bluetooth module. It is probably a clone and not all the clone works. Search in the thread is posted how to flash the ordinal hm10 firmware and it will work again. Otherwise buy a new module :wink:

Its a original metr.at bluetooth module. No knockoff or clone!!!