Venice Beach Cruiser | Arbor Vugenhausen | Mono RSpec6372 | SpaceCell Pro 3 | VESC | Winning Remote

Thanks to everyone who suggested a few things about the pulley motor sitch. I’ll have a closer look tonight when i get home.

In the mean-time. I got my VESC! (woohoo) this one has the newly designed capacitor board. definitely tidy, also the whole hting is smaller than i realized (18650 battery for size comp):

I dig the new design but, the damn reciever connection is completely obstructed and dangerously close the the Negative lead:

@onloop, couldn’t macrofab just as easily turn the board 180 like this before shrink wrap?

Anyhow, after much tinkering with different size heat shrink, i settled on the hoodrat solution (electrical tape) to shield the receiver connection from poking the leads. I soldiered up the bullets and can’t flipping wait to plug this into my uneven-pulley-having drive train tonight!

Oh right-- I cut a nice chunk of the shrink wrap out where the MOSFETS are. Hoping to get ahead of any potential heat issues!

The board is assembled and this is the last piece. Hopefully the BLDC tool doesnt suck the life out of me tonight and I can get my maiden voyage in before sunset! Stay tuned

1 Like

You could consider bending the pins to 45 degree.

Or my preference is solder your receiver wire on direct.

The pulley teeth are what needs to be examined for concentricity. The flange can be slightly off and it won’t be a problem.

If the teeth are not perfect will send a new one.

@onloop thanks dude. Will report back

VESC Halp

So jsut want to be sure I’m right here. Again, SCP3 and a R-Spec 6372 motor. Ran motor detection and got: Detection results: Integrator limit: 94.59 BEMF Coupling: 628.77

Detection results: Integrator limit: 94.23 BEMF Coupling: 625.77

Detection results: Integrator limit: 95.03 BEMF Coupling: 625.34

Detection results: Integrator limit: 94.77 BEMF Coupling: 623.39

Detection results: Integrator limit: 94.69 BEMF Coupling: 627.52

So I’m averaging and using 90 for Int Limit and 600 for BEMF coupling yes??

yep

10chars

1 Like

cool. do you adjust the startup boost out of habit? Its set to .03 Jacob says not higher than .05

should i leave it?

@Jinra ohh-- and PPM & UART or just PPM for the Winning?

Just PPM. Make sure to set the min max pulsewidth settings and rebind if you adjust the throttle trim.

Startup boost is the minimum duty cycle essentially. I’d leave it alone unless you have startup problems in which .05 sounds like a good conservative max.

so i just turn the remote on, blipped the throttle and the motor started spinning like a bat out of hell… i’m gunna try rebinding now i guess

change the control mode to disabled, and set min/max PWM before enabling current/duty/pid control

WE DID IT BOYS! MAIDEN VOYAGE COMING NOW!

should i periscope this shit?!

3 Likes

hell yes. I’ll even re-install to partake

Holy Christ.

This is the coolest shit

Speechless

So fast.

1 Like

okay-- nerves have simmered. Beer and vape in hand.

Didnt periscope, but i caught the shit-eating grin on my face within the first 5 minutes of riding:

No, i’m not wearing a helmet. I will. I was so pumped i ran outside with my goddamn workboots on. had to run back up.

Second, i’m astounded at how fast this thing is. I weigh around 185 right now. The board is heavy as hell (not sure exactly how heavy but 9-ply maple is a lot of weight) I hit 24mph and there was still A TON LEFT to go. I pussed out. Maybe tomorrow I’ll see how fast i can go:

The brakes were a bit weak. And honestly, that was probably a good thing for my first ride. I was stopping way earlier found myself coasting ALOT.

I’m lucky enough to have a pretty good stretch of newly-paved road in the neighborhood. I did a little analysis and i find that about 17mph is perfect cruising for wide streets and long flowy carves. Probably slower than I would be going on snow, but same feeling. Amazing.

So anyhow, I guess my question for the community is-- what should I do to try and up by braking power a bit??

More to come for sure… And i want to say thanks to everyone that helped along the way. @Jinra @sl33py @onloop @JuniorPotato93 @racidon @cmatson and anyone i may have forgotten. You guys are awesome.

2 Likes

What’s your motor and battery regen? I’d say do -60A and -12A respectively would be a good starting point.

Motor Min REGEN -20 Batt Min REGEN -12

Because @onloop said:

… it’s always best to try to keep Motor Min Regen & Batt Min REGEN as close as possible

here:

the absolute last thing I want to do is pump too much current back into the battery and or fry the VESC.

Up the motor min regen to 50/60 and dial it back as needed. Only the battery min regen dictates how much is going back into the battery. I’m using -90A (between 2 VESCs) on mine with -16A battery regen (10s4p)

That is sweet man. Thanks for sharing the stoke. Nothing like that first ride!

Now get some fucking gear on if you’re going that fast. Seriously. Only one brain…

like the colors, raw trucks & silver mount is nice! did you test the board in the shop and then order it at amazon? :confused: i would really support local stores for giving me the chance to test things. wish i had a large skateshop around …

1 Like