(UPDATE)Not enough power or lost of it? ENERTION BUILD

@Jinra Should I average the int limit?

Average and round down to the closest 5 like I said

testing now.

make sure there are no internal shorts inside the motor, the way you currently have the phase wires puts more stress onto the motor wires when the trucks turn…

if the motor is shorting it could cause the vesc to overheat.

Just wondering since I’m having basically the same issue. This is my first DIY build so I’m a bit new to working through all the VESC settings. Are adjusting ERPM limits, averaging BEMF coupling results,… something that everyone does or should be doing to get their board up and running properly?

Motor detection is something EVERYONE should be doing for a DIY build. The fields it detects are integrator limit and BEMF coupling which you need to adjust according to detection. eRPM limits can largely be left alone unless you want to go slower at full throttle, or if you’re hitting the eRPM celing of ~60k.

I’ve done the motor detection in both BLDC and FOC modes and I just hit apply and didn’t manually make any adjustments. I’ve been running in FOC mode. I seem to be getting better performance over BLDC. Should I be making further adjustments according to the results or should it autofill when I hit apply? I’m on the FW 2.17/2.18 version of BLDC tool. I adjusted my ERPM limits on the App Configuration/PPM tab, but not anywhere else.

I just feel like I’m missing something somewhere. I’ve been making a lot of adjustments, checking temps, running tests,… but nothing but adding heatsinks has made any difference and my board is still cutting out on flats. Kind of just wondering if this is a beginner DIY sort of thing and everyone else is just thinking, “yeah, I remember when I went through that.” or if I’m having an actual issue. Sort of like when my little sis first starting using strobe lights in her photography. Me and one of my photographer friends had a good laugh when she couldn’t figure out why there was a black bar at the bottom of all her images.

Mainly trying to decide at what point I should start buying additional hardware so I can start swapping parts to isolate the issue or seeing if I need to explore sending some parts in for assessment/repairs.

Could you remind me what setup you have? Do you have your own thread detailing these issues? Best not to hijack this one.

Don’t mean to hijack this one. joeadams101 and I are pretty much having the exact same issue although are setups are a little different. Both running a Space Cell 3 and Enertion VESC, but he has the Enertion Motor and I’m using a Carvon V2. I’m also about 35lbs lighter.

My thread is: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/braking-issue-with-fully-charged-battery/6730

Ah I remember this. It seems like yours happens when you brake correct? I think @joeadams101 happens when he accelerates.

Braking is one of my issues, but that one is sort of solved. I just have to keep my battery under 90% charge or keep my regen at -10 or less for my brakes to work. The other issue is the same. After 20min or so of riding, my VESC heats up and power cuts out. Happens much sooner if I do any sort of incline.

The two problems might be related. Have you done as @elkick suggested and replaced the caps? I have a suspicion myself that you have failing cells in your pack. Do you have another power source to test with? Maybe some lipos?

That’s my issue. I don’t have another setup to test and I don’t want to go and start doing major work on my VESC’s and void my warranty. Worked with Enertion support and they directed me to open up a thread and see if I could find some additional insight here. It was great advice since I’ve narrowed down my problem to an overheating VESC and my motor regen settings, but I still haven’t found a solution. I know they’re busy as all hell over there so it’s taking some time, and I don’t want to be pushy, but I’ve had my board setup for over a month and I just wanna ride it!!!

Could you do me a favor and tell me what voltage your caps are?

Unfortunately I don’t have my board with me. Only have pics of my VESC, but none of them show the voltage of my Caps

Hm, I was just wondering if you’re running the 50v caps on the VESC compared to the normal 63v ones.

Maybe an appropriate time to move this over to my thread. Posting a pic of it there if you can possibly tell from that.

@onloop what will be the correct way to put the phase wires in the space cell enclosure you sell, which is the one I have?

you want the phase wires going towards the truck and curving back into the space cell.

For what it’s worth, I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I thought it was overheating but after upping the temp limits with 20degC the issue went away. I’m guessing calibration of temp sensing was off somehow.