Unreasonable E-MTB build - Me too, I want to faceplant on dirt at 60km/h (and commute everyday too)

Well they just make weird noises. Power of inertia of spinning fast in worst case scenario would grind that magnet I guess… :thinking: As the magnets are supper brittle :slight_smile:

was thinking about it too… after one of my magnets broke during the first bench test, I was wondering what would happened if one magnet becomes lose on the road. will it crash into the stator? :thinking:

Once I shattered one or 2 magnets a bit (crashed backwards into concrete obstacle) and the motor was 100% locked because of tiny magnet pieces. After removing this pieces it could spin again, but had bent shaft and damaged can.

1 Like

@Kug3lis : Thanks a lot for your message !

I don’t think I will go this fast :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, and yes, your commuting path is probably at least twice longer than mine.

I know that it will probably be overkill, and that I will probably never reach 200A :smiley:, but that’s the point, big safety margin for peace of mind.

And I know too that you’re probably right and that I will realize that I got mad about the safety margin. But I need to realize it myself or I will never be at peace when riding it (And you could say “I told you”).

Anyway thanks a lot for your data and advice :slight_smile: and I am looking forward to looking at your data once you will have switched your motors to 80100 and will have started going on mud roads !

By the way how is the local police behavior about e-sk8 and e-mtb ? One of my very best friends lives in London and is very fond of skateboarding, so I plan to visit him with my build once completed.

@rich

Thanks a lot for your message too :slight_smile: !

Yes 80mm seems to be the starting point of endless fun and dangers !

Your explanations and pictures are very informative, and give me some ref values and ideas about enclosures, flex with battery pack and so on.

By the way what model/size is your battery pack pelicase ?

Few questions for everybody :

I will order my trampa board soon and after reading a lot on this forum I know that I want :

• infinity trucks -> because they seem to be the most rugged, especially if I intend to jump in a dirt park
  • superstar hubs -> because of e-toxx direct drive (But @3DServisas FatHubs look pretty cool too ! But I don’t know if e-toxx drives fit on them and if it’s reasonable for now :slight_smile: )
  • 35 holypro -> because of shape

But What I don’t know yet is :

• What ply deck rating should I take ? -> I’m ~75kg + 13kg while commuting , and ~75 when doing stupid stuff in dirt park/offroad, and I would like something very stable, but not totally uncomfortable
    • so I was thinking about 16ply -> what do you think about it (if someone has some ref points to give me, I will be happy) ?
  • What tyres should I take ? -> I want to be able to do road and grass riding wet/dry, dirt park and forest riding dry, beach sand wet/dry, so almost everything except deep mud (I will buy other tyres for this purpose later)
    • I was thinking about hard compound trampa treads in 8 inches -> what do you think about that ?

Cheers,

Boubak

1 Like

Our hubs are compatible with superstar mounts so it will work with etoxx gear drive too :slight_smile:

An enclosure made of aluminum would need a lot of isolation material, remember aluminum is conductive and your cells will sit on aluminum. This could represent a big hazard, even if you use padding or fish paper, in a case of a crash it could be a big fire wating to happen.

1 Like

I‘m happy with 16ply and i‘m about 85kg plus some extra stuff. Still flexing good and stabil non the less. If you want to get more speed, take 17ply for more stability. For the rest 16 is good choice. Don’t worry about the tires so much. If you drive how you say you wanna drive you non the less will need to swap them after 300-500km. Enough to try different compounds. I have a set of primo alpha 8“ but not because of compound, I bought them as I wanted blue wheels :sweat_smile: I also have a set of black hard tires from Ali. Way much more cheap, but very hard compound. They seem to hold longer so far, but riding comfort is different…

They are awesome. Not noticing that much of a difference with the hard compound trampa tires when inflating to 60, plus they are much harder to puncture. Had a flat almost weekly with the softies from trampa and mbs.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFU50CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the enclosure I’m using, it’s worked really well. I just have it mounted to the top of my deck using velcro which is strong enough that i can carry the whole board via the handle on the case. I’ve done 10km rides in heavy rain where my shoes will literally be filled with water by the end of the ride but didn’t get a single drop of water in the case :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a Peli case 1150, internal size is about 21 x 14,5 x 8,9cm

I’m also about your weight and have a 16ply deck and it feels good to me. Without money limitations I would have a 15ply with massive battery for endless touring and a 17ply with tiny battery for jumping.

About tires, it depends on the terrain. If you ride on concrete or hard surfaces a street tire would be best. For offroad I like Trampa treads (hard compound). Actually I use MBS vine (=Trampa mudplugger) tires, they have less traction in offroad conditions but are more comfortable and durable on concrete and hard surfaces because of the middle tread. Also have the thick Aliexpress version of this tire but untested yet.

I’m very curious if you want to faceplant on dirt at 60km/h with halfcap or fullface helmet :laughing:?

2 Likes

To make it more easy, here they are Schau, was ich auf AliExpress gefunden https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crjiP6Gw

The thing is, or was, if you order more than 2 you need to pay a lot of shipping. So if you order, than order 2x2 and you come around paying for shipping.

Hey @Trdolan03 where do you find this battery?? Is there a link!? And what sort of Ah are we talking here… You have my attention :smiley:

Battery is 20ah. 12s8p of Samsung 25r cross. I used nese modules to assemble the cells

:beers: :yum:

1 Like

@rich The range is not all that impressive on pneumies. In the low 20’s with nice tire pressure

It’s only for you :slight_smile: With my 18Ah I am getting near 30mi :slight_smile:

@Kug3lis What tire pressure? Even at 50psi I struggle to make 30

1 Like

Well my tires allow max 35 :slight_smile: that’s when I ride in group rides and etc not fast pace rides :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to jump in. I’ve not read any of the thread but I saw your pictures. Mainly, the first one.

81kph max speed!? 50mph!?!?! ARE YOU MAD BRUV :laughing:

You will only get 32mph on his setup. That is the unloaded speed.