Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Awesome! it feels really good seeing happy customers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cruise control :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

How was it? Mines coming soon! We want details mate

Dude Iā€™m in love. So things of note cause I just rode again. Pistol grip doesnā€™t work. Let me explain

Nano remote what Iā€™m used to. Pistol grip

Pistol grip on the Photon. Feels really weird because itā€™s wide

Modified pistol with index on the cruise. Feels amazing

The last pics feel great with a modified pistol grip. Plus index on the cruise control is just amazing. Being able to tap it and hold speed up and DOWN hills is a nice perk.

The update rate of the speedo seems to be quite oftenā€¦ Taking a wild guess here but 8x a second(@Wajdi to confirm) is what it looks like, so pretty good. While riding it updates and is the perfect size for a ā€˜glanceā€™ like driving a car.

The Y axis spring feels to be tighter then X, which is a good thing as it helps you forget about the side to side movement while using the joystick as the throttle.

Iā€™m over all really impressed with it. The menus are nicely organized, all configurable values have ranges that they should with the exception of drive ratio for calculating distance limited to tenths. Ie I have 3:1 drive ratio which would be .33, I can only set .30. however @wajdi is addressing hundredths in the next firmware update. All other values seem to be configurable as would be needed.

Thereā€™s also onboard throttle limiting. Which seems to work good.

On the VESC, it feels best if you set the nunchuck tab deadband to 0, as having deadband on the remote configurable letā€™s you get a better feel without doubling up on deadband.

Anywayā€¦Iā€™ll share more as I rideā€¦

13 Likes

Try this out, gives satinny soft feel, apply coats to desired plushness

The best profuct for that is optimus !! Gets any PLA smooth or mat or shiny !

10 Likes

@Wajdi how many have shipped yet ?

i breifly tested mine long enough to know i need the new receiver. @Wajdi is sending me one soon though. Iā€™m pretty pumped about this remote. Iā€™m hoping to be able to use it all next year in my builds.

9 Likes

I love the design of this remote, been silently following for quite a while. Will be using this for the 2018 build Iā€™m slowly pulling together

2 Likes

Very nice, Iā€™ll patiently wait until all the bugs are worked out and readily available! Please keep us posted!

2 Likes

@longhairedboy set the sensitivity to 10.0 I believe it is a bug with the ramping code. The things that feel like ā€œdrop outsā€ are really just me trying to reengage throttle while at speed and the motors seem to studder/cog like a desync. But itā€™s from the throttle sensitivity trying to ramp the throttle smoothly upto where your thumb is in too small of percentages while already movingā€¦ basically making the motor act like a stepper.

10.0 is direct input with no ramping. Rides completely fine. After that. If you need sensitivity ramping do it with the throttle curves like we always haveā€¦ I believe @Wajdi is going to be removing the sensitivity and setting it back to default as direct input(10.0) since throttle curves are built in to acks bldc tool and the vesc toolā€¦

Once the UI bugs with text and a couple settings are fixed, sensitivity set to be direct input(10.0 instead of 1.0) and deadband adjustable in the menu vs during calibration only.

Functionally the remote is where it should be and rides how any other thumb remote Iā€™ve tried does with the benefits of a screenā€¦

thanks for the info and background! Weā€™re not using Ackā€™s firmware yet, and thereā€™s plenty of hardware out there that isnā€™t. Itā€™s still too easy to fuck shit up in there in my opinion, so weā€™re waiting for just a little more maturity. Hopefully this ramping code bug will be fixed and not just eliminated along with the functionality it lives in. Additional means of fine tuning the ride experience are necessary and should be considered worth the extra work. In the mean time, that seems like a solid workaround and iā€™m going to try it.

1 Like

@longhairedboy Oh if your not using ack code or vesc tool with throttle rampingā€¦then direct input is what your used toā€¦ set that shit to 10.0 and ride son :slight_smile:

If you need to dumb it down for people you can still set the throttle % on the remote to limit speedā€¦and then amps in the vesc for acceleration just leave the sensitivity on the remote at 10 to remove the drop out/stutter feel.

1 Like

Weā€™re basically in love with the new maytech remotes because of the way they seem to process the PPM, both in slow and fast modes. Its much better than the Steezes. Iā€™m hoping to emulate some sort of middle ground specifically for a given rider with these photons.

2 Likes

I love the new maytech remotes.

I really love this remote. I just canā€™t justify the price tag. Any chance of these decreasing in price sometime soon? iā€™d love to pick one up.

Just remember the fast modes and slow modes limit the ppm swing/endpointsā€¦which is effectively what limiting the throttle % will do. As it remaps the curve of the throttle over the throw of the stickā€¦

The maytech and nano remote in slow mode are about 70% ppm throw. If you set the remote to have 70% throttle. It will map that 70% across the stick like the other remotes and feel basically identical.

1 Like

in BLDC Tool the ppm meter says slow mode is at 80% on the new maytechā€™s. I have yet to try an Nano X.

Are they the same internally?

1 Like

Yea they are basically the same internally. Some of the old ones are 70% some are 80%. But yeaā€¦try limiting throttle to .70 or .80, it feels identical to ā€œslow modeā€ depending on which generation remote you previously had. The great news is you can fine tune it even further then just 80 or 100ā€¦ You have the full range of 20-100 for options :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great news everyone! new modules are in! I had several packages being delayed because of the Holidays, but we should pick up the speed now.

I have started assembling the new receivers using the new nrf modules and its AMAZING! the range and signal quality is outstanding! I have ditched all the old modules because most of them were faulty and they caused me all this delay!

Check this out:

13 Likes