Trillium Hub Motor

Hmm wouldn’t road grime just gunk up in that slit till it’s filled completely like how mud fills tire treads. This would require frequent cleaning to keep the cooling aspect effective.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I think you’d have to be pretty careless to get it dirty enough to matter… Idk. A toothbrush and some alcohol would solve that problem. You probably wouldn’t even need to take the urethane off or maybe just the outside most urethane

@professor_shartsis I’m getting 7.7Nm at 500A with my original small stator, not even saturating the motor hardly… 171N in 90mm wheel. That comes out to a price of around $120 per motor + truck to be competitive, or $500 for a complete truck + 4 motor set which would outperform dual hummie motors and have more urethane and likely look better. I don’t think that price will leave enough room to grow the business though.

1 Like

What wire guage are you going to be using? Everything I’m reading says that for lengths on a skateboard you are going to need at least 4awg or thicker to carry >2-300 amps

About 7AWG equivalent. I want to integrate the controllers beneath the truck base as a sort of riser, all heatsinked to the truck base. So the phase lead runs are a lot shorter this way, so the wires don’t have to be quite as thick as 4AWG.

1 Like

if you’re getting 7.7Nm @ 500a, that comes out to about 620kv… 4 motors gives about 153lbs thrust with 500a motor current limit… close to 1800a battery current full throttle accelerating through 20mph… this is assuming 500a motor & battery current limits per motor (3.7v 1 cell battery pack) and resistance of 0.001ohm @ 620kv… both top speed and thrust per motor appear to be lower than the 73kv @hummie – 20-25mph & about 38lbs per motor.

We’re on the same page I think. Dual hummies is about 140lbf I thought. 4WD Trillium would be slightly more thrust than dual hummies.

The idea would be to somehow magically offer 4WD around the same price but higher quality components. Maybe can justify another $500 if including 4 controllers +

i think folks will be very interested in a controller that can do such high current limits, especially if it can also do higher voltage limits than about ~60v as well, and especially if there are no erpm limits. this would enable a performance or efficiency boost even with off-the-shelf existing drivetrains by enabling the use of higher pack voltages, higher kv motors w/ higher motor current limits & higher gear ratios.

What do you guys really want and need… those are the two questions.

Speed and lots of it

1 Like

high thrust (low kv, high motor current), high speed (high voltage), high efficiency (low electrical resistance), low cost, availability, wheels don’t fall off the board (12mm+ axles) & won’t burst into flames (LiFeSO4?), low controller heating (controller with high current/voltage ability, low resistance & heatsinks)

2 Likes

Durable, good brakes, decent torque and top speed, ride quality. In that order I think. Price is not as important, as shown by carvon and enertion?

1 Like

Good, Fast and Cheap. Choose two.

9 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread but did this ever go anywhere? This looks like an interesting idea. @Trillium

Same. Still on my watchlist. Even though i think it is misplaced brainpower.

1 Like

It’s a slow, expensive process.

3 Likes

How much thane do you guys really want? and what’s the widest wheel you’d want. Preferably would be nice to get like a dozen or so responses. maybe I should make a new thread.

1 Like

Honestly, I know you’re probably sick of hearing it but Hummie has nailed it. Centrax width with high quality thane at a decent thickness.

2 Likes

At least 30mm and 77mm wide.

2 Likes

I’m hearing all sorts of opinions. good. 30mm diametric? so 15mm thick?