Trampa new barrel

Hey Frank,

Sounds like you and I run with a similar spring/damp setup. Personally I’ve not had any stability issues on springs at 55-60+ kph but am always interested in testing limits here.

Have you found any limitations with the barrels in terms of pushing speed? I’m going to pickup a set to play with but curious on yours and others experiences with these at 60+kph.

1 Like

I have two kids and will not ride at 60+ km/h. For me the enjoyment is not in the speed.

6 Likes

I have 2 kids as well but I’m an irresponsible parent. :hugs:

6 Likes

I am starting to see a pattern here. I have 2 kids too.

Is that a prerequisite to ride with barrels?

It’s the time where you start to use VESC-Profiles with 20km/h speed limit.

In that case I am an irresponsible parent too since I very often ride over 50km/h.

With full protective gear though.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

@DerelictRobot Andrew would you mind sharing your setup?

1 Like

Of course!

I change my configuration often, but:

Drivetrain- I’ve got two gear drive carvers that I ride the most, both 4:1 gear drive on 170-190KV motors. 8" pneumatics usually, but also have 7" Inlines, 6.5" Urban treads, and Gummies I’ve been playing with. 10S6P and a 12S Lipo pack.

Deck- I have a LaCroix Prototipo deck that’s my daily rider, alt is a Holypro35. On my LC Prototipo I usually just run stock 30/30 but have been testing with 30/24 recently. Holypro35 I usually keep at 35/30.

Spring/damps - For speed builds lately I’ve been running 4x red damps but recently pulled the front damps out and haven’t really been impacted noticeably from hitting top speed. It helps that my riding weight is about 102kg, so I can still throw my weight into the board to turn even on stiffer damp setups.

… I also ride with full protective gear. The parental guilt is real.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I have not been able to play enough with my Trampa.

The weather has not been good enough to hit any of the trails I have in mind plus I first want to get comfortable with it on road and make sure it is as reliable as possible before I take it on a trail and end up having to tow a 18kg monster for 5km.

So far my impressions are that the barrels are more stable on road while having a lot more turnabily when used in the inner position.

Springs with green dampas set on the outer position feel more wobbly when I hit a bump on the road at speed making them more scary. Keep in mind I have not tried any preload so far and that my Trampa is geared for torque thus having a top speed of around 45km/h.

The funny thing is that while the barrels feel more stable at speed when I go off road the springs feel more stable as the board does not want to turn on its own when going over ruts etc. Plus it feels better when landing jumps.

I have a lot more tuning to do and I was hoping that I could get some information on where to start.

I don’t need this board to be dead stable at 60km/h (I have my Evo for that) as it was bought to be used mostly off road.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in hearing more about your experiences on those barrels. Thanks for sharing! I intended on picking up a set eventually but now I’m curious enough to jump on it.

I think my own personal dislike of how MBS/shockblocks respond has kept me skeptical, but these are clearly a bit different.

1 Like

My guess is you will love them for on road.

Considering your weight you could probably be able to use them in the outer position or at least outer in the rear and inner in the front to get a very stable but turnable board.

1 Like

Rad. Thanks for the tips!

I also ride my carvers in motorcycle boots, the heel on them makes for great additional leverage on turns and you can hook it on the edge of your deck as needed. I can feel an immediate difference when I jump on one with my vans on.

There’s nothing more hilarious than watching someone lighter try to turn my 4x damp setup under 25km/h. Like a boat adrift at sea. Hah

4 Likes

Very interested how you will like them as well. Good that finally somebody could bring you to the point to try them out. If you will not like them I take them off from you…you know where to find me! But i‘m pretty sure that will not be the case :smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys. I’m installing the barrels and need some help.

@trampa I received washers along with countersunk and hex screws.

But what are the washers for ?

Also I’m using the bull bar in the front that mounts with the same holes and will only fit the socket head Can I use that at the bottom ?

Bottom side: Use same bolts as before. Top side: Use the hex bolts with washers.

1 Like

Thanks so much.

They look pretty dope. Can’t wait to ride these.

Try the inner position in front, outer in rear truck.

1 Like

Interesting. Does that improve turning ?

Also wanted to say that the same hex screws for top are not long enough at the back because of the riser for wires. I’m going to the store to get some more.

There were 25mm. What length do you recommend ?

turns really nice then. Standard M5, easy to get in any store selling bolts. Just measure the length needed.

1 Like

Thanks!

10char