Thumb throttle GT2B mod - Beta test

I am feeling electric to be introducing my little webstore and prototype thumb throttle GT2B mod.

I am guilty of falling into the custom of being a lurker on this forum and now more than ever I feel obliged to give back in the best way I can; by adding value to this community and helping to develop the quality of products available to the community. To do this I have been developing a thumb throttle GT2B controller mod. Trust me when I started on this project there didn’t seem to be as many controller options as there does now, the more the merrier I suppose!

After months of research, designing and testing I now have a prototype that almost ticks all of the boxes I felt that it should have. The reason that it only ticks almost all of them is because naturally, I’ve had to make some compromises, however I’ve found myself doubtful of my decisions as I could never believe that a single person could speak for the whole community. For this reason I have decided to distribute 10 of these prototypes in order to gain some qualitative feedback from a range of members in the community, a sort of beta test. All that I ask in exchange is for you to cover the cost of the prototype and shipping and to provide the feedback mentioned above, for which I will send out a detailed survey. All those that purchase this prototype will also be guaranteed all components and if necessary, 3d prints of the final GT2B mod for free.

The main features of this prototype are below:

• A four stage led battery indicator that will light up for 3 seconds after pressing the activation button. Wireless charging capabilities (Wireless charging pad included)
  • 3rd channel button exposed to wirelessly turn headlights (or anything within the limits of your imagination) on and off on the user’s board When paired with the optional turnigy receiver controlled switch
  • Wrist strap attachment.
  • 80 degrees throttle arc (45 degrees forward and 35 degrees brake/reverse) with a long radius for fine control. This is achieved by using the steering potentiometer from the GT2B.

Some more features that I would like to add are a dead-man switch and a slow-fast mode switch but I am unsure on how to execute this, if someone could help me out here I would appreciate that a lot. I had been planning on including a solar panel to charge the battery but the one I have been working with was too big and compromised the compactness. This is the reason that there is no power switch. I also want to create a button mechanism for the 3rd channel button instead of leaving it how it is currently presented. Please suggest any more features you would like to see.

There are 5 Turnigy receiver controlled switches available for those that purchase the prototype and want functionality of the 3rd channel switch.

Please be aware that you will need the skill to resolder the silver tab on the GT2B’s PCB onto the other side.

I really hope for this controller to be great.

The shape may change slightly for ergonomic and 3d printing reasons but until then, here are some quick screenshots. I’ll get you some sexy pics soon. I am aware that it may look a little scandalous being pink, all prototypes will be printed in stealth black.

4 Likes

Nice project.

Are you from US or EU ?

Do you have a picture holding the remote in your hand, because it looks a bit chunky, and i do not have very big bands.

I hear good things about the GT2B in terms of reliability and function and while I love the mods like sparkle and monkey I would prefer a thumb trigger

Props to you on this I may go for controller #5 !!!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m actually from New Zealand

I’ve tried to make it as compact and ergonomic as possible, pictures soon.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Sorry I’ve run into some issues printing with the changes I have made. Until I have pictures I thought I’d give you the interactive file so you can tilt, pan, rotate, zoom around the controller to check it out instead of plain shots.

You can download this for free on mac or windows and then click here to download the controller.

Hey @Zoomy. Love nz. Lived there for a year a decade ago. Defo plan on coming back. I’m very interested in this project and if it’s still possible would like to be a beta tester. Cool idea man!

Thanks man! I’m still trying to cut down on the size for better ergonomics. After holding the ‘winning’ remote thats part of a build I’m doing for my friend I have realized how much compactness matters.

I will update as soon as it’s ready.

2 Likes

Hi @Zoomy I’d love to give it a go if possible (Aus is my location). I currently use a GT2B but never bothered with the mods only because size hasn’t been a major issue for me. I’d say my only problem with the GT2B is the the distance for the throttle from the handle, on those cold days it can make it hard to hold it in position. I’ve wanted to try a thumb based controller but none of them had the same rep as a GT2B and really don’t feel like putting my life into the hands of something that “mostly” works :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I’d like to improve on the ergonomics before sending them out for testing. I appreciate the interest.