"The Cheetah" aka the Creepo board. (Upgraded Meepo clone build in progress)

as u’ve been saying, the ESC will burn before the cells if a problem happens… :smile:

Yupp most likely, or very likely.

What you do need to keep an eye on is regenbraking not to overcharge the battery and that the voltage dont gets to low. I think since the BMS is bypassed you loose the safety features it has like overcharge protection and low cutoff voltage. Not sure if im correct here…

According to the website it is 50A continous, but its not like you actually would pull 50A continuous ever , unless you only riding uphill.

oh shit… i forgot about this regenerative braking issue…

voltage protection from the ESC is 29.4V for 10S so it seems OK…

seems that the ESC has overload protection too… but…NOT if the BMS is bypassed?..

what the heck… i forgot this HUGE detail!!!

is that so?.. are the ESC protections anihilated if the BMS is bypassed for discharge?..

My Esc cuts the power when i reach 30.4v. It starts beeping when at 31.2v

Yeah i dont think the ESC prevents overcharging. Dont know honestly, never heard of it.

I dont think it will be any issue unless you start riding on a downhill with 100% battery.

Im a beginner on batteri tech, but if i understand correctly., when bms is bypassed the protection features such as Overcharge protection, over discharge protection and Low voltage cut is not working.

according to Jason from @diyeboard, it does protect from overcharging… mm… yes u are probably right about the ESC protections/ bypassed BMS… it needs a confirmation though…

So if you brake at when at 100% battery 42V the ESC will stop the braking/cut the power? Most of the time its the bms overcharge protection that cuts the power and in result leaves you with no brakes when at 42v.

Maybe its diffent in this case.

i definetely don’t want to try it “in situ”… :smile: brakes?.. what’s the use of brakes anyway??? But thinking more about this… all these supposed protections… what comes in the ESC must work probably ( for under voltage protection, i don’t think the ESC cares if it comes from a BMS or directly from the cell pack…) but I agree that it might be problematic for other protections like over voltage… mmm… I need more accurate infos from @diyeboard

the glossy ones are the improved thane, will be interesting to see the difference between them after a few months

Yeah the ESC has voltage cut off protection. Just to be sure you could install a voltage indicator just to be absolutely sure that you dont go to low on voltage.

1 Like

that’s exactly what i was thinking @sk8l8r!!! it seems awkward and creepy that they stock both improved and ancient urethanes in the same place!.. lol ofc the seller’s answer to this question was quite different… :wink:

if it’s so, then they managed to deliver a single truck with an ancient and an upgraded hub!!! congratulations for the QC!!! :smile: don’t want to be mean though, this is just a possibility, not a certitude… time will tell, if one obviously gets torn faster than the other… Anyway urethanes are not replaceable on those, so i assumed that those hubs were replaceable parts when i bought them… it’s not a big deal… But i agree that it’s at best not very serious…

The esc has over charge protection. When it reaches full charge it no longer regens so the brakes just become a lot weaker.

I asked dickyho how much current it can handle and I think he said it’s rated for 35a each channel maybe that’s burst though

yep thank you Pat

I was looking for an enclosure material that would be flexible and tough enough, and I found this out:

It’s a kind of transparent and flexible epoxy resin that i could easily buy near to my place. It can also be mass-dyed. What do you guys think about it?.. It seems quite interesting for moldering applications…

No guys, I’m actually NOT talking about the black manucure!.. :smile: Think I could keep this transparent to get an awesome look at the electronics… that would be really DIY!!! I’m hesitating between this, a 80Ashore PU resin or silicon…

I have the esc from diyeboard with koowheel hubs and 10s2p. I always lose power/connection when going downhill on full battery trying to break. Now I just make sure my battery is never full going downhill. Had to run off board going 10-15mpg down hill cuz regen braking trying to charge 100% battery cuts off my board.