Tesla Model 3 battery / motor / glued magnets

5 Likes

We need to somehow pique the fancy of Elon’s interest and get him to side project a simple 100K startup to create the best DIY focused production ready electric skateboard. Hire a couple mid tier top level engineers and drop some money in their lap to consult with us (given we can play nice! :sunglasses::yum::yum::wink:)

And Bam. Who would buy a Tesla-esque complete with DIY focused parts (ala LHB) but from the man himself? (Or I mean, his money and vision)

Eboards could pair well with Tesla’s… Imagine.

8 Likes

@dth2m5 is a Tesla wheel engineer. Maby partner with him. Looks an awful lot like an Inrunner. Hmm who runs those awful things, can’t put my finger on it.

7 Likes

Ya that guy sucks. There’s a lot of things Tesla does that are amazing! Ultrasonic welding is my favorite, best way to join dissimilar metals for electric contacts. So long, nickel strips! Hello copper strips! Hobby King does it for the graphene packs too! Super cool

3 Likes

From my understanding it’s a very different technology from our kind of brushless motors.

They use an induction motor, so there are no permanent magnets. The coils on the outside induce a current into the inner rotor, which in response repells the coils and generates torque.

Something about it being more effecient or magnet longevity. Either way, they need a special motor driver that’s more complicated than our standard 3 phase sinosoidal drivers.

Also I have yet to watch the video, so something something grain of salt

1 Like

It’s not an induction motor this time. I heard the motor described as a reluctance motor w mags in the stator to direct the field. Few magnets n just ferromagnetic rotor. So just elec steel rotor. Cheaper and more efficient

1 Like

I think Jed Boards already did more than that; they have full-time engineers on staff with the intention of treating esk8 engineering as automotive engineering … where stuff is designed to last, last, last, and not fail under the heaviest abuse.

I’m really interested in seeing what comes out of that.

But unlike the Moments Wheels guy, they actually care about engineering quality products and not the sheer volume of PR bs they can spew.

This is why we’re not hearing much about Jed.

5 Likes

That was an interesting video. Loads of pictures and video of the original model S, mixed in with model 3 part analysis :thinking:

And yeah, I did a google and you’re right about the motors. I didn’t realize they changed to a permanent magnet design for the 3

Three phase. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/11/tesla-model-3-motor-in-depth/

I don’t think it would have the power ability our outrunners have with the magnets increasing the mag field in the gap n not just directing it

3 Likes

Haha I loved that article. This bit killed me:

"Let’s pretend for a moment that you were assigned the job of designing a new motor for the Model 3. Elon Musk has specified that your design must cost less than the Model S motor. You have also been instructed that the motor must not compromise on performance, yet it must be lighter and more efficient than its sibling. What would you do?

You’d think about applying for a job at the McDonald’s down the road from the Fremont factory. "

8 Likes

How much would you pay for a pack with copper strips?

2 Likes

Yeah thats not how really new cars are designed lol

They are…

I like their attention to details. Not sure I like that they do their testing in flip-flops though:

Screenshot_20181223_095618

How do they finance everything, pre-orders with a looooong delivery time? Their motors are just standard or is there something special about them?

They have venture capital backing. They designed their own motors. Not trying to derail the thread though. But automotive engineering practices are being applied to esk8…

3 Likes

If it is a true 180+amp lipo pack at around 12Ah? About $400. Otherwise I’ll build it myself. And don’t even try selling me on a liion pack. That shit is for wimps lol. @MoeStooge am I wrong?

Edit: I’m being a prick, my b

2 Likes

Did you forget about the Lexus hoverboard? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjRioiX-LXfAhVHw4MKHU5qAZ4QwqsBMAB6BAgKEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

1 Like

Just purchased 8s 32ah 960wh 384amp for $312.00us shipped. Not much to complain about there.

2 Likes

Not sure about automotive industry but your right that’s how the aircraft industry works.

1 Like

Isnt these the multistar lipos that were more like 3c in real life?