''Swing arm'' Steering mechanism for mountainboard..How? And would it work?

IMG_20190517_162623

4 Likes

Cost, really can’t help here, that is really going to a factor of your manufacturing costs plus whatever business running costs you are going to incur with whatever profit on top the market will endure. But as with everything, the cheaper you sell them the more you’ll sell. Are these cast or CNCd, that would also be a big factor, like how much are a set of surfrods? I’d say a good bet would also to be to get a few out in the wild first for some independent reviews, not paid shills, you could then guage possible demand based on the feedback and price accordingly. Another thing I’ve seen here on this site is limited run group buys where people can pre-order from a limited run, when the limited run numbers are committed to then production starts. Although with no obvious motor mount solution currently with these trucks, maybe there are other sites were this could work?

1 Like

Thanks for your advice.

maybe make a separate Major Arc trucks thread? these trucks are really interesting

Hey Buddy, How about this:

Put an encoder on each motor wheel.

Have at least 2 but better yet 4 motor wheels.

This means 2 or 4 seperate controller units.

So basically, when you want to turn, you either turn the motor wheels slower or faster on 1 side of the board relative to the wheels on the other side.

Kind of like a tank turns, but without the treads.

I’m sure it would work. You’d want to try a few different algorithms. For example a protocol for steering while accelerating and another slightly different for storing during deceleration. Possibly dependent on speed at the time the when the steering maneuver is requested by the user.

In case you arent familiar with encoders, they have like 3600 evenly spaced marks around a disk. (Could be any number, but 3600 means 10 Mark’s per degree.)

So when you want to go straight, the controllers try to keep all of the wheels counting the same number of pulses fr ok m the encoder which means there go in ng the same speed.

When you want to turn, it uses a loop control system to speed up or slow down the number of encoder counts of the wheel or wheels on one side of the board. Or possibly speeds up on one side and slows down on the other side.

It would be like a proportional change. This wo UK ld accomplish steering without the need for any new hardware. Would take a little new programming to or maybe an arduino microcontroller or something and the 2 or 4 encoders.

You could probably use lower cost encoders with only like 360 or maybe less Mark’s per revolution.

Furthermore, in the vesc tool, there is an option to use encoders. I wouldnt be surprised if you could implement the whole thing with the encoders and the vesc tool and a joystick for the steering.

Say trigger finger for throttle and a th un mb jo thg stick for steering.

Merry Chriatmas

1 Like
1 Like

The fact that nobody had put hub motors on yet makes me sad.

Motor mount/gearbox could be integrated as well

Hi, can we texted via messenger?

Facebook Messenger? I am https://www.facebook.com/riptidebrad

1 Like

hmm, I wonder whats better for carving?

(This is obviously easier to integrate existing esk8 parts onto)

1 Like

Just saw this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk_ppt9D0t_/

There’s an in-depth video from Fabi:

Would be curious to know whenever real damper/spring can be put there, I somehow dislike flexy decks as the first deck I had bounced on every little bump the road had and messed with stability and steering for me.

Well thanks for your appreciation!

Major Arc trucks are totally different from so called surf trucks.

1 Like