''Swing arm'' Steering mechanism for mountainboard..How? And would it work?

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words/2992/10118?u=okami

This surfaced… looks interesting @pixelsilva do u have more info? Seems hard to find anything about these, but pinterest seems to have some older models:

@ https://www.pinterest.com/pin/620933867352561663/

Actually, also found these documents / pictures also:

https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1075&context=imesp image

@Flexboardz seems like someone tried to ‘kickstar’ very similar concept scooter:

3 Likes

No @Okami, nothing besides the Pinterest image. Looks like some design concept (very real by the way) from a college student. @Alphamail thought it was related to the guys from Lean Boards but definetelly no.

Yes, Zuumer crew were funny : they even threatened me about so called patent for products that were on the market for years…

@Flexboardz yeh… i guess they got what they came for then… didnt get succesful funding.

I think it is just US based practice to threaten, protect, scare out or eliminate ‘threat’ - competition.

At least I dont get to hear about court cases, patent rights n such here in EU, as much :slight_smile:

But on the other side of pacific, it is a different story. So I guess a lot harder to do legitimate business there or create new products when just bunch of people can show up and start suing you…

1 Like

Well, it was “start up style” : make big claims, ask for ridiculous amount of financing and hope to retire before dust settles…

Patented so that no one else can patent it and sue you, or so that no one else but you can build these? :confused:

Either way, can’t wait to see some videos of these in action!

How much different from this striking concept?

f59d49ade45ed7bdb7aa68513227ed85d82b926c_2_706x1000

1 Like

What is the expected cost for these?

And do you also plan to make AT (All-terrain) version as well? @Russell

Well, how about you tell me how much you expect because I really have no idea about the pricing now.

Very nice concept and these look to be well executed, wish you luck with getting these out to production.

It looks to me from the posted pics that both the steering arms are the same length, meaning that both wheels steer at the same angle, have you thought about compensating for the Ackerman angle by using different length steering arms? That would solve an inherint problem with all currently available truck design. Ackerman angle

1 Like

Looks cool. :+1: Interested in seeing how a drive system will hook up to it, how the moving parts hold up over time and stability over 70kph.

Ackerman should be built In to the steering arm angle from the spindle to the drag link. Different length drag link to kingpin width. Looks symmetrical (zero Ackermann)

Also the spindle does not rotate on center. Interested in how this changes performance.

Zero caster is an unstable trait with a spindle/kingpin steering system (keeping wheel surfaces parallel to the road surface) . Curious about the castor angle and how the camber change effects corner grip in a turn without flat contact patches , wheel surface to ground.

1 Like

Yes, I have.

By having the spindle rotation center fixed to the hanger rather than centerline of the spindle, when lateral forces are applied to the spindle it will create an Input force on the draglink parallel with input force from the steerng pitman arm. Meaning as you Increase lateral force the return to center feel will decrease. Just curious how this will change feedback and stability. Would definitely decrease Input force from the rider in a hard turn. If setup is right it could act like power steering. Counter intuitive to what would be a stability trait.

1 Like

Hi MoeStooge, Think you are also a techie. It’s my pleasure to answer your questions. However, I have hard time to get your question. Can you please point out the parts you mentioned “spindle”, “draglink” and “steering pitman arm” in my design? Thanks! Russell

Mate, Moe is like a grand master of longboard truck design, not just a techie :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck surviving when master Pramash with Lean Boards sees your design and decides to try and sue you. He was quite hostile on this forum as far as I remember.

This whole forum is hostile if you haven’t noticed.

2 Likes

I would say forum is a lot less hostile than many others and gets to keep being friendly enough even for many ‘noob’ questions

No, I havent :smiley: i think this place is really great in general. Naturally, there will always be someone on the sour side, but overall its awesome possum in here

1 Like

I don’t think the leanboard guy is coming back to try and sue anyone, last time he tried to comment in a thread asserting that there were similarities between his product and another members… It didn’t work out too well for him :joy:

1 Like

Cool @Russell, as soon as I saw your design I thought of this as a perfect Ackerman solution, you are correct that it has a small effect on a short axle skateboard, but it is present and would be good to eliminate, your design could easily do this as you already know. As per Moestooges comments, I’m also a bit lost, way above my pay grade, but I think he is saying that the lateral forces induced by cornering will also create a positive steering input. This may not be a bad thing in practice and could help iron out the deck angle vs turning radius curve allowing one to use harder bushings for more stability at center. At the end of day only testing would suffice to show this. I think this is a good design, there is also a possibility to mount a linear steering damper diagonally across the steering arms, apart from one major flaw, make it so we can mount motors!! :grin: Out of interest, as you have patented these, why can you not produce them? Production costs?

1 Like