Small wheel hub motors

PMDC seems to be the word for brushed motors…

True, I do remember now that BL"DC" motors are driven by AC. In that point of view, yes the ESC does “convert” volts to amps.

The main point of contention: motors will stay cooler with more voltage. Not true. I’m sticking with this belief as it’s been told by experts and shown in testing by a member on esk8

It’s not basic electricity with simply adding cool voltage to get the same wattage

True, you don’t add “cool” volts since watts are the same. I think that what’s should be retained is that Watts = Heat and not Volts = Cool and Amps = Heat

The motor will get just as hot running on 6s vs 12s for a given load. If u want to research why and tell me id like to know the details but the fact is there

Motors are not high power cables.

you’re the second person who has told me that this month. a motor will perform the same with a battery that’s 1s or 100s if the kv is adjusted.

Whatever u want to relate it to but the analogy isn’t appropriate as motor will get just as hot regardless of what voltage it’s run at

Did you read the links? At some point u can’t call a motor a high power cable and a higher voltage battery will not a cooler motor make. Keep the wires going to the vesc cooler and the vesc cooler but that’s it. I don’t have an answer how it works but will repeat that statement endlessly.

This thread has been widely hijacked.

Can we move the Current/Heat conversation into another?

1 Like

Volts are like balls of rocks (that stores energy) in a pipe/tube. Amps are like water that pushes the balls of rocks flowing through the pipe. Higher voltage means more balls of rocks in the same tube means slower/lower/blocked water flow (amps). Lower voltage means less balls of rocks in the same tube means higher/freer/faster water flow (amps). 10 balls at speed x1 = 10W. 20 balls at speed x2 = 20W. 20 balls at speed x1 = 20W. As the balls went through the pipe they release their stored energy (magnetic field). As the balls went through the pipe they collide onto each other and the walls of pipe thus creating friction (heat). Theoratically “Dense/high enough” voltage would have less collision (heat) as the balls would have less space to collide and instead will be forced through the pipe by the amps, with most but not more friction by the walls of the pipe ONLY (reason bold below). They would have less friction as the higher water pressure will cause the velocity among the balls (and not particle) to be equal and small (slower/lower/blocked water) with smaller+equal gaps and higher pressure, moving in one direction. Pressure along the pipe from one end to another are all equal. Conclusion; Imagine 100 balls moving along a long pipe with fast, lower pressure water (more prone to collision among balls and walls as the balls move very fast and free with lower pressure and 1 collision will easily cause a chain effect when there is an altered direction) and compare it to 2000 balls with EQUAL GAPS (due to higher pressure of water, resulting in a more similar density, the faster particles pushing rocks in all direction, as if they are one with the water) that are moving very slowly and less free to move, in 1 direction along the pipe (balls don’t usually collide with walls if there is no altered direction). If the balls got stuck in the pipe (usually smaller pipes/wires or exceeding balls/volts) it will cause the balls to be dragged along the pipe walls thus creating friction (heat). More volts/less amps = tendency for the balls to be stuck. Less volts/more amps = tendency for balls to collide. Less heat only applies when you have “dense enough” or "scientifically determined " voltage per given pipe size, striking balance with amps. Over voltage(lower amp) will only cause similar amount of heat as under voltage(higher amp) in the same size of pipe as per @Hummie mentioned. Striking the balance of balls (volts), water (amps) and pipe (wire) is the key. Higher/lower voltage and amps and wire only alters the level of heat, and it does not specifically determine that higher volts means lower heat. So play with the variables.

That’s from my understanding guys, please correct me if there’s any mistake. Trying to help here.

1 Like