Small wheel hub motors

my analysis tells me to listen to what these people say.

http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6&start=10

I’m saying yes they get converted to amps or something like that. sign up on vedders thing and ask those guys how it works or read the whole thread.

you do not get a cooler motor from more voltage that much is true, the details I cant explain

you dont have to sign up for anything and just read it. then maybe you can explain. the fact remains no cooler motors with more volts. INfact more likely the opposite as the no-load speed is now further away and more inefficient unless going faster

go tell vedder. this is a repeat conversation i’ve had a couple times. sometimes people freak out and tell me I’m an idiot. best you go to the source and shoot them not me

@devin
I think that @Hummie just misread the Vedder explanation.

Vedder simply illustrate the Amps * Volts = Watts equation, at the same Power (Watts) the heat is the same regarding if you add more Volts or Amps. Example : 10A * 3.7V = 37W and 1A * 37V = 37W. The heat is the same, the balance is different. You have to keep in mind that heat is generated by the losses in the motor, and this heat is calculated in Watts.

Now, Vedder never stated that amps convert to volts, that simply basic knowledge of electricity.

3 Likes

@Hummie and @devin just to confuse you and very much oversimplified: it’s the VESC that converts volts into amps, not the motor.

Seriously stop saying confusing stuff like that. VESC does not convert volts into amps. It controls (like any ESC) the 3 phases of the motor. The VESC just warms up at higher current.

Seriously it’s not magic, again it’s just electricity.

1 Like

and it’s the esc wich stays cooler as the voltage becomes higher, not the motors

How do you calculate those numbers? Also why 50% of no load rpm would produce 100% of max power?

Have PMDC and BLDC the same performance curve?

@brams of course it does, in an oversimplified way.

Input of an ESC is DC voltage and current. Output is AC voltage and current. And they do not to be the same. So this is a conversion.
I can write more later, in the train commuting right now…