Scarlet Cruiser | Long Haired Boy Scarlet deck | Dual R-SPEC | Space Cell | VESC

So i did some street testing today.

Holy shit this board is awesome! The way it handles carves into turns at speed is amazingness. Between the VESC doing its thing and the w-concave constantly putting grip on my feet where i need it most, this board is the sweetest ride.

I didn’t bother to double-barrel the trucks, i just left the cones in and tightened the nuts down to about 4-5 threads. No problem with wheel bite at all, but i think i’m going to wedge the rear wings where the wheels would hit if they ever did anyway. It carves deeper than i’m used to but i didn’t seem to catch any hint of wobble, the thrucks stayed snappy at speed and still alowed me to whip around sticks and shit.

I’m going to adjust the trigger sensitivity a little, but not too much. I was able to get used to the way it accelerates rather quickly.

Oh and the singing… its real. I LOVE the singing its so beautiful to my geek ears.

made this 9 mile run and still had 30% battery left. I’ll do a full range and a full speed test later.

hit 22mph without even trying, totally unintentional. cough

1 Like

i was looking at those, but i don’t have room in my box. With these i can craft my own little panel and the exterior will be smooth and flush once filled with epoxy. I have to epoxy the fuel gauge still anyway and refinish the box.

Street testing VESC settings is getting the board dirty, so i’m going to have to tear everything down to re-polish anyway.

I know you love the hot glue @longhairedboy, so just do what I do. use a dremel to cut a square hole and hot glue that biatch.

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/1X/ed82ac0ad49be8fab5393dae9577676714e323a7_1_500x500.jpg

2 Likes

How about some real world, sane speed commuter class range testing?

So i took Scarlet out onto the trails this weekend and kept the speed down for the most part and just tried to get an idea of what maximum range i could get out of her when not trying to kill myself in warp drive.

I took it from 100% to 4% battery and this is what it looked like:

Those split averages include stops to check voltages, check for things clogged in the belts, slowing down around people, street crossings, etc. those are not averages from continuous speeds, but they do give you an idea. For the most part i was trying to keep the trigger around 15mph.

Also, i added USB port access to the box so i could update and tweak VESC settings without tearing into it every time.

4 Likes

Dang i was expecting more from the space cell. Next build needs to be 10s4p for me i guess.

2 Likes

yeah im not sure what i was expecting either on dual 6355s, but there were some slopes involved, this wasn’t all flat. over all its not too bad.

i’m going to cram as many 18650s in there as I can one of these days.

I went on a ride going at least 90% throttle most of the time and ran until my Arbor pocket rocket was completely dead (3.3v per cell actually).

My bro and I went 7.1 miles total and the space cell claimed that it still had 89% charge when my little board died… and I am using a single 6355 R-Spec.

Also, if you remember @onloop said his single raptors were much more efficient than the dual motor ones.

I’d like to see how many amps I am pulling cruising around at 15-20mph compared to what LHB is pulling at those same speeds: it’d be an interesting and beneficial comparison for those of us that don’t have hills to worry about, and simply need a longer range.

and just to show the ride I was talking about, here’s a video I whipped up:

2 Likes

Hey @kai, 15 miles is pretty good, what were you expecting?

Al…

Do you have low voltage cut-off set in the ESC? if so i suggest you disable it. The SPACE cell has built-in LVC its best to let it manage the end point.

I was thinking 18 miles… but maybe i did the math wrong.

might be able to get that from a single drive running on fewer elevation changes and limiting to about 12mph.

honestly though… 15 miles and my feet were dying, even with my arches being cradled with that w-concave. and i did this twice in one day. We’ve already hit a solid commuter-class range landmark here, but why not? maybe i’ll drop one of the motors and see how she does on just one.

Sorry for the confusion @onloop

My little arbor (with lipo batteries) ran out after 7.1 miles, and the space cell (on my other board, which my brother was riding) still had 89% charge at that point.

So the space cell board could’ve gone so much further, but my pocket rocket ran outa steam…

@longhairedboy This upcoming weekend I have nothing to do because it’s the weekend after midterms, so I’ll probably go on some insane 20+ mile ride to test the range of a single motor setup.

YES, please someone test the SPACE cell on a single R-SPEC motor, I need to know max range of this battery… It seems i don’t have much time to ride these days…

I’ll do it this weekend. I’ll drop my slave vesc and second motor and hit the same exact trail and see what happens.

2 Likes

as will I :wink:

two trials are always better than one!

1 Like

dude the ending of that video was kind of creapy lol

haha ya, the ending was mostly just to annoy my bro who didn’t want that part in the video…

Since he didn’t want it, I made sure to play it 3 times :smile:

dropped the second motor and told the VESC what was happening with a quick config update.

IT WAS @#!&%#$ COLD. 45F, windy, wet, and generally gross out. But this is for science!

I wish i had hooked up my steez remote at this point because i could have just kept both hands in my pockets, but this morning i was still GT2Bing it.

Those are some solid stats! Looks like you got a little more mileage from the single? Also 45F is cold?! Try 9 degrees lol. I think I’m on the edge of hypothermia every time I ride. I don’t think I can go for more than 5 miles without having to get back inside. Spring needs to arrive asap :grin:

45 is almost too cold for this Florida boy. I need heat!

my fingers were falling off.

2 Likes