RAPTOR 2 | Most Powerful Direct Drive Electric Skateboard | Kickstarter

Definitely worth the wait! I wonder if he means delivered in the first half of July or shipped the first half of July? :wink:

Looking at the lead times he has on parts, thatā€™ll probably be shipped. Plus he canā€™t guarantee delivery dates with customs etc.

1 Like

samma hƤr 10

2 Likes

When I woke up and read this I felt like I just got punched in the throat. Looking back after a cup of coffee. Itā€™s not terrible. I can understand that with a growing company their are going to be set backs. Itā€™s just now everyday that gets set back is a day I donā€™t get to ride the raptor2. Our weather in the PNW only allows for a few months. So each day is precious. I feel for @onloop. The guys gotta ton of heart and dedication. His stress levels are gotta be watermelon froggy!

2 Likes

Yep. After 2nd email itā€™s a little clearer. Heā€™s upset heā€™s out another 2 weeks and didnā€™t have the heat to break it to us, so he made a decision to craft an informative email with realistic time frames. :ok_hand: Perfecto! :ok_hand:

I wouldnā€™t want it any other way. Jason (@onloop) definitely has the backers backs! I mean look at the small things heā€™s willing to fix. I imagine retooling the mold was on him. The boxes probably would have made the trip, but ā€˜ordered with stronger cardboardā€™ so theyā€™ll end up at the doorstep right. No other company (especially esk8) has been willing to sacrifice time and money to get it this right.

Thanks Jason for looking out for us and being so transparent. We have been bugging for an updateā€¦ I donā€™t think a week or so was so bad in hindsight. AND weā€™re only a month off target for a ride that will last years.

8 Likes

This is probably the biggest takeaway from this. If you see the usual delays Kickstarter projects have, this is nothing :slight_smile:

I know weā€™re all excited, but itā€™s just a little longer!

1 Like

Totally agree, compared with other projects this is nothing well done @onloop

1 Like

I feel ya, similar situation here(mid/North Sweden). Itā€™s sort of a tradition that i wait all summer for some esk8 part and then ride in the fall, last year i was riding in late november. If the R2 lives up to my admittedly very high expectations, iā€™ll probably ride it after the first snow too!

As of now i would almost pay extra to get the board now and the proper parts later. But then again i would probably not agree to something like that as a company, too many loose ends. And nobody would let anyone forget such a stunt, bad for the imageā€¦ Thoughā€¦ Hopefully the R2 would still blow that memory out of everyones mind!! :smiley:

1 Like

I think Jasonā€™s only fault was that he was very naive about originally promising delivery in May (then June/July). He is now running into the same issues every e-board Kickstarter seems to encounter during scaling up manufacturing. The difference is heā€™s going to be maybe 3-4 months late as opposed to 18+ months late like virtually all of the others. The other difference is that Jason has been totally open and honest throughout the whole journey, which isnā€™t that common either.

Yes itā€™s frustrating to us who have placed pre-orders, but not nearly as much as it is to Jason himself so letā€™s cut him a little slack and try to be patient, knowing that the wait will be worth it!

Thanks for keeping us informed @onloop, we appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t3:

14 Likes

I canā€™t remember where I read this but ā€œperfection is the enemy of profitabilityā€. Donā€™t get caught over small details like the durability of a box, if itā€™s not as strong as it could be donā€™t throw away the existing one, just add a cheap one over it, both of them will reach the same recycling center :wink:

Things like the Battery box wire cover and FOCBOX not functioning properly should however be addressed and is. Extending the deadline in the long run will be much appreciated to the consumer instead of sending one that will break within 6 months.

The transparency is much appreciated, better to know what is going on then to be left in the dark.

@Gary_Winthorpe I havenā€™t heard that before, but thank you for that pearl of business wisdom! Considering the fact the the other issues were causing delays regardless, we felt it an opportunity to also address the box issue. I, for one, was having nightmares that Raptors were going to arrive in boxes that looked like a Sumo wrestlerā€™d had his wicked ways with!

Weā€™re planning on keeping the Raptor 2 customer base as well informed as we can, via either video updates on Youtube or email newsletters, as many of you have received.

Iā€™d also like to take this opportunity to thank the Raptor 2 community for their continual support - i truly feel like weā€™re on this journey together, and by and large, you are some of the most understanding customers a company could hope to have. Kudos to you all.

11 Likes

No need to apologize, we all started from thereā€¦ and thatā€™s what this forum is made for. Thereā€™s a FW version 2.54 for BLDC tool, developed by @Ackmaniac that explains every setting in detai, all you need to do is hover ur mouse over a setting for a second, then a description/example will pop up. There are also plenty of HOW-TO write ups on the forum, Google, and YouTube, that will guide u down the right path. Youā€™ll be surprised how easy it is. Being completely foreign, not knowing how to navigate ur way around is ur only real obstacle at first, but thatā€™ll change quick. U just need to know the specs of the motors and battery pack, to input a couple values. From there, itā€™s really just how u prefer ur power curve/brake sensitivity, and tweeks depending on ur wheel size and gearing. Once u watch some videos on how to use it, youā€™ll be at home with it. I was in ur shoes not long ago, and it seemed like such a hurdle, but itā€™s really easy, especially with all the support from the community. Till u learn more and more, u can just scratch the surface w the basics. Hope that made sense, & sorry if it was one long run on sentenceā€¦ speak to text

3 Likes

While not eSk8 related, this video (https://youtu.be/vfgTXFx4Ins) gives some interesting insight into the challenges of manufacturing in Taiwan/China. Specifically the part about having to continually be there to get things back on track. @onloop, do you have someone in China who is overseeing quality control there full time? Looking forward to getting my Raptor2 next month:)

Iā€™m not a backer, but canā€™t wait to see this beast. I love seeing the great quality control @onloop and his team are doing. As a Chinese (American) I hate that Made in China gets associated with bad quality. People donā€™t seem to understand that QC plays a huge part it the final product

5 Likes

I ordered a Raptor Dual from another forum member and i should be getting it soon, i cant wait to compare the Raptor Dual and Raptor 2 first hand, i may even make a comparison video once ive had some time on both boards. Thw delay sucks but id rather have a better product, The Raptor dual should keep me happy throughout the delay

Thanks for clarifying, my mind was

I didnt get this e-mail, did it get sent? I get most of the e-mails (I think)

Check your spam, the second email went to my spam folderā€¦

@onloop you should send a raptor to Unbox Therapy. Heā€™s had an evolve and Lou board so far. The raptor would beat them all

2 Likes

If you are offering your own board for this I am fine with it, otherwise letā€™s get it to people that are waiting since last year firstā€¦

5 Likes