Raptor 2 hub or TB Direct Drive(DD) or SwissBoards DD

Option A: Mechanical, heat related failures: Magnets crashing into stator, windings shortened etc. Option B: Hot motor has different resistance and the original parameters no longer work to run the motor. You get a de-sync.

2 Likes

While you’re here Frank. What’s your take on this disaster of a thread? Might as well just get it all out at once

What disaster? I watched a disaster yesterday. Theresa May against the House of Commons…

15 Likes

Would be cool if @torqueboards would set it up. I know of someone who is trying to get an AWD Enertion R2x4 ready and I hear @hoyt may have something as well. A Manufacturers class would be something to behold at 20yrs of Barrett Junction. The first ever Uphill race.

6 Likes

@12meterkuk Carl, when this happened? Really sorry about it man. I hope you are fine. What is the condition of your board now?

2 Likes

Hey, this was at the start of 2018 first 2 months with the board maybe March . It’s Been awhile :rofl:

1 Like

@12meterkuk Ohh! Then it’s fine :slight_smile: glad that you are safe and sound

2 Likes

All good man :call_me_hand:

1 Like

@12meterkuk Glad to see mate :slight_smile:

@onloop Just release your own direct drive! The only reason I wouldn’t buy R2 hubs is no support for pneumatic wheels. If you guys made a direct drive with support for pneumatics I bet more people would buy from you than torque boards.

The way I see it the R2 is the obvious choice for urathane, but everyone who has tried pneumatics typically thinks they are better, or at least better for rough conditions and high speeds. Torqueboards may have used some design ideas, but without him we would have zero pneumatic support for direct drive other than a modified Carvon which has production issues. If Dexter can make this product work for pneumatic guys, I am 100% on board.

Torqueboards should focus on marketing a direct drive with pneumatics and Enertion should focus on urathane hubs since they are really different product categories. Everyone wins!

3 Likes

I’d like to add that I am working on my own part time building business in Minneapolis since I am not aware of any other commercial builders near the city. Only releasing a few boards at a time (6-12) but I’d love to use the direct drive if it proves reliable. Already preordered one.

@torqueboards If you make a good deal and a reasonable price for people who want to buy the motors and other components wholesale it could be a real game chager for builders. Since you not have a mass produced board like the R2, your niche can be quality components for builders and then the builders can market the pre-made boards themselves. I would love to be able to advertise that I use specially designed torqueboards wheels and direct drive motors.

1 Like

Big wheels on direct drive = overheating. I’d be surprised if 110mm isn’t pushing the limits as it is. The problem can be avoided in some way by running 4x4 but not everyone has the budget for it.

@kuphjr Yeah, we still need more testing for this to happen. But we can always discuss this down the line.

More then anything… we need to know and make sure these parts are reliable.

@Friskies 110mm hasn’t had any issues but definitely want more testing done as well as with larger wheels. We would really need to test it so it’s a plan but until we get more results from it. It’s still up in the air.

2 Likes

5 inch wheels would be pretty sweet too and may limit issues caused by wheels that are too large

I’m looking forward to receiving the motors I preordered. I will test the crap out of them and stay in touch with you.

2 Likes

Direct drive problems haha. Its good to see some healthy competition in the market :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding another 15% diameter to the wheel is a lot of extra stress on the motors. Is that extra bit really worth it? I used to think 97mm wheels were smooth until ii moved to hummie hubs with the 83mm centrax. Keep in mind that urethane has less rolling resistance and effectively no maintenance.

Waiting for someone to design a 5inch pneumatic with an abec core for direct drive

2 Likes

1 Like

@marcmt88 can you do this?