Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

$100 for a precision hangar seems about right to me, it may almost be on the cheap side :grinning:

2 Likes

This a very cool project! Iā€™d like to see someone make an extra wide hanger for the raptor.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in. Let me know when to pay if you do make this happen. Thanks dude!

I 2nd @barajabali. Extra wide hangers would be awesome too!

That can prolly be done :slight_smile: How wide? These are adopted for the rear wheels to have same track width as the front ones thatā€™s sitting on a 180mm hanger. Wider would prolly only be better for the cooling so why not.

Itā€™s happening but Iā€™m leaving for vacation tomorrow and I wonā€™t have time to make more before Iā€™m leaving. Iā€™ll let you know when I have another rdy and then we can arrange something. Also I have no clue about forum rules for selling stuffā€¦ Do I break any rules here?

Nice. Sounds good to me. No rush. Whenever you have time just let me know. Nope. No rules broken unless youā€™re doing a group buy here.

1 Like

Sounds good. Not doing a group buy. Will keep testing various design and try to improve and sell the working ones :slight_smile: The first one is to thight on the bushings so I will keep this and mill it out after my vacation for my own use ^^

Been milling and designing all day and got two hangers ready for shipping. Think both is taken tho (sent PM) but Iā€™ll do some more after my vacation and maybe some wider if there is demand for that.

Would be interesting to get some feedback on the current ones tho. They work fine in my baseplate but I donā€™t have a raptor baseplate to test withā€¦

imageimageimage

10 Likes

took the words out of my mouth :slight_smile: wider hanger please

Nice progression, how much they weight? and the original one? I think that if weight is an issue, you can lower the overall dimensions and make the fins thinner, keeping the surface area, the problem is that if they are to thin any rock will bend them

How much wider should it be? Is 200mm a ā€œusualā€ size?

I didnā€™t check. Itā€™s def heavier than the stock ones but alu isnā€™t that heavy.

The fins are now 2mm wide both spacing and inside. I cut them with a 2mm endmill. I donā€™t want to go lower than that since it will increase the time by a lot on my old slow machine (donā€™t have a fancy 30k rpm spindle). The rocks was my main concern also. When I made the fins 3mm deep they will handle less stress from stones and debris. Could always make it thinner between them but isnā€™t there that much to be gained? Would have to calculate surface area and check.

Another thought I had was to drill many holes that goes straight trough the hanger but since people are running them in different angles that might not work very good.

If everyone want a wider truck that will help increasing the surface area as long as the truck can transfer the heat towards the center. 6061 alu has good heat transfer and from my tests the hanger got even temperature over the whole hanger and thatā€™s promising for a wider model.

1 Like

180mm is usual (exc. axles)

This is made to fit with 180mm front axle. If the front is 180 then the outside of the wheels are at the same width front and back. The rear wheels of the raptor is way wider than stock wheels.

Yeah, I think it wouldnā€™t change much anyway since the problem is transfer the heat from the windings to the laminations them to the motor axle and last from that to the hanger axle and the hanger itself

Damn that looks good. It would help me cause I always push my.board hard usually the hanger on my Raptor 2 is too hot to touch.

218mm hanger would be cool

2 Likes

Man, with all the hills in SF I notice my hanger on Raptor is burning hot, with wider 218mm like Bara saysā€¦ Iā€™m in ā€¦

Like you can see more people than me experience a to hot to touch hanger so they kinda solved the problem with transferring heat out to the hanger.

I think that if we can improve removal of heat from the hanger it will help a lot for the motors and we might be able to push it even harder. Not saying itā€™s solved as good as it can be yet but I def think we are onto an improvement. Would really love to see if a wider axle would help since it would increase the surface even more.

1 Like

There is a lot of wiggle room in what is determined to be the overheat temperature of a motor. In practice, most better quality motors have high temperature enamel on the copper windings and can survive excursions in the 150-180 oC temperature range without damage. But few would suggest having the rated continuous core temperature be this hot. So what do you choose, 100oC? 120 oC? The choice of maximum temperature will have a large effect on the rated continuous power number.

Source: Futility of Motor Power Ratings

Itā€™s about e-bike hubs. Shouldnā€™t our Raptor 2 hubs be able to sustain the same temperature? Anything below 100 Celsius should be fine if the richt glue/epoxy etc. has been used. Iā€™ve also never heard about anyone frying their Raptor 2 hubs.

Is temperature really a problem on our Raptor 2 hubs?

if you know what the wire was rated to as you say that would reveal one limit but the magnets as well have a limit thatā€™s probably a much lower temp. worth finding out what temp they are rated but its not revealed.

bearing grease will vaporize at 100c unless its rare high heat grease

electrical resistance goes up with temp so you will get less range and also have a snowball effect as it goes up in temp. Ive heard 140f as a reasonable max temp for outrunner motors. Thatā€™s not based on anything other than whatever people feel like doing and you can go at a much higher temp if you have the right magnets and enameled wire and heat resistant grease. but maybe the urethane is the first to go.

2 Likes