Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

A 218mm hanger would be cool, then it would match with the very popular torquboards 218 hanger. But you might as well make it 220mm.

Gives you an extra 40mm of surface to use if the current is sized to 180mm.

1 Like

I guess if you need more cooling you could use some of this area? Though it might start to look like a George Foreman grill. :cut_of_meat:

I dont know if its a problem but cooler is never wrong :slight_smile: I run 12S and want to unleash more power. Anyways they have good warranty on the raptor so I wouldnā€™t worry to much about it. I just want my hubs to last longer and Iā€™m sure removing heat wonā€™t hurt them.

Hard to see, but at max deflection itā€™s already very close to touching the baseplate.

1 Like

Well the thing Hummie said (more heat = less range) already persuaded me :smiley: My interest is still sparked, and iā€™ll follow any updates here.

My friend Joris drove his Raptor 2 full to empty in 12 KMā€™s a while back going full throttle against very very strong wind. Canā€™t imagine the hub motor temps reached. I fried an xt60 connector with very strong wind on my Ownboard. So I guess wind can be worse than hills because wind can be sustained during your whole ride. Unless your gone climb the mount everest.

Or add an angled section to increase the area a bit. 26e4cc5c6eeb1cf9d7f0760435987b1b6447e870_1_690x458

1 Like

Hmm. you and @lrdesigns are def onto something. I could make a recess where it would meet the baseplate instead. Will look into if itā€™s possible to do this. The material is there anyways so itā€™s not like itā€™s gonna use more alu for it.

Itā€™s making me think if a water cooled radiator could be integrated into the truck lol.

1 Like

Have you considered rounding out the edges of this hanger? Would probably improve the overall look of it. Just a thought :smile:

There is some sacrifices that are done one the prototypes to keep machining quick and simple. When and if there is a final design I can spend more time on esthetics and toolpaths to make it look more like an production unit. It might never come to this tho as it was really only meant to be a hanger for myself :stuck_out_tongue:

If I can cut production time when a ā€œfinalā€ design is around I can order special tooling to do the radius we want on it and optimize stuff more so it looks nicer :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s a Photoshpped one with rounded edges for fun. 26e4cc5c6eeb1cf9d7f0760435987b1b6447e870_1_690x458

3 Likes

So after a ride you got grill for bacon :bacon: and eggs lol :joy:

7 Likes

And the Grill Hanger was born!

5 Likes

from How do I add temp sensors to a motor and wire them to a VESC? - #18 by lrdesigns - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

Also from Ideal Thermistor/Temperature Sensor? | VESC Project

I believe you need Vesc-Tool firmware to read the motor temperature pin.

2 Likes

Haha. Worst thing is that it would prolly be effective. but I think it will limit travel on the truckā€¦

Lol, I didnā€™t mean round out the actual design, I meant with your current design, round out the edges so itā€™s got no sharp edges.

That takes a lot of extra machining time and is for aesthetics mostly he is making different versions as fast as he can to test what works best so heā€™s not concerned with aesthetics yet.

1 Like

When did you get the raptor 2?

Oh I didnā€™t order one, I just like the topic of this thread. This is a very cool hanger, looks like itā€™s much better than the R2 :smile:

2 Likes

Stupid question about baseplates. Is the distance between the pivot cup and the kingpin the same on all brands? Looking to replace my old ā€œgenericā€ one with a surf rodz for this project :slight_smile: